“Good Stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
York, PA
“Good Stay”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Not too far away from the beach, but not really walking distance ether. Hotel accommodations were good. I do like Double Tree as a brand and was pleased by this hotel. The only complaint is the parking is sucky if you get there when everyone else is there. Construction was going on in the area May of 2013 and parking in certain areas was not well lit. They had construction vehicles and dumps in taking up spaces that should have been customer parking. Check in and check out was good, staff is friendly. It's right off the highway and very close to shopping, also the convention center is RIGHT THERE it's like a block away so very walkable. I would absolutely go back to this hotel. Beds were wonderful!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
John Z, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay. The construction next door is winding down over the next few months and we are adding lighting to the parking lot. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

John Zirkle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Alamo, United States
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The Hotel is very convenient to the Convention Center and has excellent accommodations. I was impressed with the Staff....all seemed to enjoy their jobs and taking care of the Guest. Good sign of an effective Employee Satisfaction Program. Did I mention room rates and food pricing? Very reasonable and fair for the service rendered. Only downside....no shuttle service to and from the Norfolk Airport.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

John Z, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We very happy to see how much you enjoyed your stay and that our team took excellent care to ensure you had a great stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The rooms are terrible, the pool was dirty, and we had to wait on towels every day. We were put on a dog floor and was't told. The dog floors are the 3rd and 5th floor. When we first arrived we knew that the bathroom wasn't cleaned because it was a dead bug in the bathroom that was left there. One thing for sure I will never go back to that hotel again!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

John Z, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your candid feedback of your stay at our hotel. We are very sorry that we did not meet expectations and we’re actively working with our housekeeping team to focus on cleanliness and comfort throughout our property. We have noted the condition of your bathroom was substandard. We’ll keep your concerns in mind as we evaluate refresh options at our property. Thank you again, and we hope you’ll stay with us the next time your travels bring you back to the area.

Travelers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

Montclair, United States
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Very friendly people here who want to help, but the facility looks and feels like it was built in the 1970s and not substantially updated since. The air conditioning system was either on full blast or off, and was quite noisy. The toilet seat was broken. On the plus side the staff was very attentive and the conference facilities are nice. About the only advantage of this hotel's location is its proximity to the convention center, but it's not really walking distance to anything else. If you're going to be working 12 hours straight at an event at the VA Beach Convention Center this is probably your only real choice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Awful hotel, poor value, staff with attitude and no concern for complaints. Food quality poor in the restaurant. Concierge desk is a joke. Pool and exercise room ok. Rooms ok but very noisy. Overall hotel old building , needing may repairs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. We’re very sorry that you encountered an unacceptable level of service. We do our best to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. We’ve addressed these issues with our staff and hope that next time you’re in the area, you’ll visit us again and experience a higher level of customer service. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

After a 14 hour drive, travelling as the only adult with 3 children, I was exhausted by the time I checked in. We all just wanted to eat and go to bed and were very disappointed to find such a problem with our bathroom door. The door wouldn't shut, even when I tried forcing it real hard. I informed front desk and went to eat with the kids. When I got back to the room, the door STILL did not shut AND there was a huge mess on the bathroom floor. That is when I noticed the door frame was actually coming off the wall and as you tried to close the door, bits of paint and wood were falling all ove the bathroom floor! I went to the front desk again and was informed that maintenaince already fixed the problem...... I insisted he had not and was told he would come up again. This was about 10:00 pm! When I got back to my room, my kids wanted to go to bed, so I called the 'Careline' instead and a very nice man (I think Paul) came to the room to look at the door. He agreed with me and assured me I could be in a new room as soon as one was cleaned in the morning AND he would refund half of my money for my trouble that evening. I was still frustrated and tired, but was pleased that he could help so quickly.
Other issues:
-elevators! (Glad to hear they are being updated)
-false alarm fire drill at 4:00 am! Not fun carrying my son down 11 flights of stairs along with keeping an eye on my other 2 children who had gone down faster than me!
-room NOT cleaned 2 days in a row! (By 5:00 and 3:30). Had to bring my kids to lobby to hang out while they were done.
-shuttle did not show up one morning or took VERY long at least..... I realize traffic can be bad, but on my way to beach I realized there was NO traffic so not sure what the problem was (However, someone from front desk was very kind and drove me and my kids to the beach himself! VERY appreciated!)

Positives:
-staff were ALL very friendly! They all tried to help with these problems the best that they could. Absolutely NO issues or complaints with staff.
-Warm cookies! Not just at check in! Any time we needed a little comfort food!
-shuttle staff were great! Evening driver always had a list of good beach restaurants to suggest and morning driver was extremely friendly and quick to offer a cold bottle of water.
-fridge and mocrowave were very handy
-close to Convention Centre (handy for a dance competition!)

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your review. We do apologize for the challenges you experienced. We will be reviewing your comments with our team to ensure we take corrective action to prevent a recurrence. I do apologize for the fire alarm. We take the safety of our guests very seriously, and although this proved to be a false alarm, we evacuated the hotel until the fire department gave the all clear. I can understand how frustrating a 4:00am alarm can be,

I am glad you found our staff to be friendly and helpful and that you enjoyed the famous Doubletree cookies. We hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

I am sad to say that our return trip to the doubletree in va beach was not a happy one. We had stayed here last year and were very pleased and were excited about our return once again this year. We stayed in room 630 from 7/8 to 7/13. I am actually writing this on our final night as we sit listening to the loud guests all around us due to the very thin walls of the hotel. I do want to make note that the staff are very friendly and were very responsive to all our concerns. However I believe the hotel is suffering from its age and some poor management.
Upon our arrival we were given room 630. The first thing we noticed was a continuous dripping from the bathroom shower. The shower also made a very bad vibrating noise when turned on. This could also be heard from other guests rooms. It sounds very much like a jack hammer. In fact I am listening to it now at 2 am as one of my fellow guests are getting a shower. Also the drain did not drain and had to be rigged in order to drain. Otherwise the tub filled with water. Our room smelled of mildew as well. On our first evening we were awakened by a noise at about 4:30 am. At first we didn't know hat it was and I went outside to check. Another guest informed me it was the fire alarm and that it was for real. We were told to evacuate and we got our 3 and 7 year old up and headed outside. Outside we waited as fire trucks arrived and firemen entered the building. After about 40 minutes we were told to enter the building by the firemen. At no time did any member of the hotel staff address what was going on. Also our room alarm never sounded. We had left our key in the room and had to go to the front desk to get it and informed the front guest attendant that our room alarm never sounded and had we not checked with our fellow guests we would have had no idea we needed to evacuate. This was the only time we encountered a rude individual as she told us she didn't know why it didnt.
The next day and every subseQuent day of our stay we never were provided fresh towels from housekeeping. Every single day our towels were taken but never replaced and we had to call to have new ones brought up. To the hotels credit besides the last day this was promptly handled. On our last night...tonight the 12th.....our room was not even cleaned. We then called and requested new towels and to have the room cleaned. The towels took 30 minutes to arrive causing us to be late for a dinner reservation. To the hotels credit the room was cleaned when we returned after dinner. This evening has been very loud and noisy between the showers of other guests to the thin walls and hearing loud voices. Currently for the 5th time I am being disturbed by the jack hammer sounds of my neighbor taking a shower.
On top of all the this the elevators have been a nightmare. Some days only one was operating. And the one operating was going at a snails pace. It is very disappointing to of had our second experience at the doubletree to have gone as it did. Most likely will be choosing a new hotel next year. Decided to stay an extra night and booked he ramada instead of another night here. It's a real shame.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
John Z, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were not completely satisfied with your last visit. Our main priority is for all our guests to experience an exceptional level of service and I can assure you that I will take your suggestions into consideration to improve our properly. Our guest feedback is incredibly important as it provides us an opportunity to attend to areas that need our attention.

I apologize if you went through any inconveniences and I hope you give us another chance to serve you, if you travels bring you back to our area. Please know that we value your business and will work hard to earn your trust once again.