I stayed here a week on business. I was on the "VIP" floor, room 1130.
This property could and should be nice... it would be easy to do with the right management. However, they've taken the low road with a blatant disregard for the ever-important details. In sort, they've ruined a great opportunity. I can only hope that they will take these reviews seriously. I don't think I've ever reviewed a property that was so close to being a 4 or 5 star, yet only currently deserving of 2 stars.
-Front desk staff was friendly and helpful
-Beach shuttle worked OK and shuttle drivers were friendly
-Room was almost very nice, minus some serious details (see "Cons")
-Workout room had newer equipment, small but enough
-The door to my room had a huge gap in the bottom. Easily large enough for someone to use a camera, mirror, etc. to see or record you. As a result, I had to place a rolled up towel under the door each night for privacy.
-Although my rooms was obviously renovated, the hotel should have never accepted the work from the contractor. I could see the plumbing and electric though a big gap in the bathroom ceiling. The fire sprinkler... well, see photos.
-The hallways of this VIP floor were partially renovated and then apparently abandoned by the contractor. No floor molding had been installed which looks terrible, and as a result the new wallpaper they installed is beginning to pull away from the wall as well.
-Hallways are hot, HVAC system is apparently insufficient for cooling this space.
-Temperature of hot water in bathroom has to be well above appropriate guidelines. A child would easily be burned (possibly severely.) If I had brought my family, I would not have allowed my son to use the faucet unattended.
-I only needed to use the microwave in my room once, but it took 20 minutes to get 4 minutes worth of heating. The microwave randomly dies after about 20 seconds and then requires much manipulation to get it to come back on for another 20 seconds.
-Housekeeping never left my room dirty, but they were sloppy none-the-less. They would fail to take dirty glasses, fail to replenish coffee cups, etc. I tried to help them as much as I could by consolidated rubbish into a bag and so forth. The front desk was nice enough to bring up coffee cups one night when housekeeping failed to do their job, but they didn't bring lids which defeated my intent of taking my coffee along with me on the ride to work. Also, upon arrival, the shelves in my refrigerator were all crooked. A minor thing, but who would leave it like this after cleaning it for the next guest? Overall the housekeeping staff simply need to take a greater attention to detail.
-The only dining option for breakfast on site is Max and Ermas. My omelet was decent, but it also set me back almost $20 with a coffee and 20% gratiuity. After the first day, I picked up some items at the Fresh Market that I could eat for breakfast.
-Going along with the item above, nothing is within walking distance of this hotel except for the Convention Center (which I imagine is actually a huge selling point if you're attending a conference.) But the rest of us have to get in a car or the shuttle to pick up a meal, incidental items, etc. Technically they are 7 or 8 blocks from the Boardwalk, but one block is the Convention Center, so this is not like walking 7 city blocks.
Elevator service is terrible. Not only are they slow, but they appear to be dangerous. I heard various stories over the week from folks that had gotten stuck in the elevator. At first I didn't believe it but as the week went on people continued to offer very detailed accounts of what happened. If you are intent on staying here, I would definitely opt for a lower floor. Had I been on 6 or below, I would have used the stairs. 11 is a bit of a stretch though.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach is perfectly located adjacent to the Virginia Beach Convention Center in the resort area of Virginia Beach. The Hotel is just eight blocks from the sand and surf of the beautiful Virginia Beach Oceanfront and Boardwalk. Our newly-appointed, spacious guestrooms set us apart from the others, and feature all the comforts of home with a long list of amenities to include Neutrogena products. For your convenience, we have upgraded the high-speed Internet access that is available in all guestrooms and meeting rooms. Enjoy a workout in our Precor® Fitness Center, take a dip in the indoor pool or sunbathe on our sundeck. Our on-site Max & Erma's Restaurant is ready to serve you from sunrise to sundown. Whether you visit for business, vacation or getaway weekend, our friendly, helpful staff at the Doubletree Hotel Virginia Beach looks forward to welcoming you with our special, signature warm chocolate chip cookie at check-in. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton Virginia Beach Hotel Virginia Beach
- Doubletree Virginia Beach
- Virginia Beach Doubletree