“A hotel that could be nice is drowning itself” 2 of 5 bubbles

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach
Ranked #12 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
St. Petersburg, Florida
“A hotel that could be nice is drowning itself”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stayed here a week on business. I was on the "VIP" floor, room 1130.

This property could and should be nice... it would be easy to do with the right management. However, they've taken the low road with a blatant disregard for the ever-important details. In sort, they've ruined a great opportunity. I can only hope that they will take these reviews seriously. I don't think I've ever reviewed a property that was so close to being a 4 or 5 star, yet only currently deserving of 2 stars.

Pros:

-Front desk staff was friendly and helpful
-Beach shuttle worked OK and shuttle drivers were friendly
-Room was almost very nice, minus some serious details (see "Cons")
-Workout room had newer equipment, small but enough

Cons:
-The door to my room had a huge gap in the bottom. Easily large enough for someone to use a camera, mirror, etc. to see or record you. As a result, I had to place a rolled up towel under the door each night for privacy.

-Although my rooms was obviously renovated, the hotel should have never accepted the work from the contractor. I could see the plumbing and electric though a big gap in the bathroom ceiling. The fire sprinkler... well, see photos.

-The hallways of this VIP floor were partially renovated and then apparently abandoned by the contractor. No floor molding had been installed which looks terrible, and as a result the new wallpaper they installed is beginning to pull away from the wall as well.

-Hallways are hot, HVAC system is apparently insufficient for cooling this space.

-Temperature of hot water in bathroom has to be well above appropriate guidelines. A child would easily be burned (possibly severely.) If I had brought my family, I would not have allowed my son to use the faucet unattended.

-I only needed to use the microwave in my room once, but it took 20 minutes to get 4 minutes worth of heating. The microwave randomly dies after about 20 seconds and then requires much manipulation to get it to come back on for another 20 seconds.

-Housekeeping never left my room dirty, but they were sloppy none-the-less. They would fail to take dirty glasses, fail to replenish coffee cups, etc. I tried to help them as much as I could by consolidated rubbish into a bag and so forth. The front desk was nice enough to bring up coffee cups one night when housekeeping failed to do their job, but they didn't bring lids which defeated my intent of taking my coffee along with me on the ride to work. Also, upon arrival, the shelves in my refrigerator were all crooked. A minor thing, but who would leave it like this after cleaning it for the next guest? Overall the housekeeping staff simply need to take a greater attention to detail.

-The only dining option for breakfast on site is Max and Ermas. My omelet was decent, but it also set me back almost $20 with a coffee and 20% gratiuity. After the first day, I picked up some items at the Fresh Market that I could eat for breakfast.

-Going along with the item above, nothing is within walking distance of this hotel except for the Convention Center (which I imagine is actually a huge selling point if you're attending a conference.) But the rest of us have to get in a car or the shuttle to pick up a meal, incidental items, etc. Technically they are 7 or 8 blocks from the Boardwalk, but one block is the Convention Center, so this is not like walking 7 city blocks.

Elevator service is terrible. Not only are they slow, but they appear to be dangerous. I heard various stories over the week from folks that had gotten stuck in the elevator. At first I didn't believe it but as the week went on people continued to offer very detailed accounts of what happened. If you are intent on staying here, I would definitely opt for a lower floor. Had I been on 6 or below, I would have used the stairs. 11 is a bit of a stretch though.

1 Thank Brian Y
John Z, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for your review. We most certainly take all reviews seriously and use feedback such as yours to continuously improve our product and service. We share and discuss all reviews with our team to ensure we take corrective action. I very much apologize for the challenges you experienced. The housekeeping and maintenance issues with your room have been resolved. We have now completed all of our guest corridor renovations (baseboards, wall paper, carpet, etc.). We are in the process of "modernizing" our elevators which will greatly improve their speed and efficiency. I can assure you our elevators are safe and serviced regularly.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review our property. We hope to welcome you back soon.

John Zirkle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Berryville, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Thanks to "Joe" in Max and Ermas located in the hotel my dining experience was better than last. Instead of a dirty restuarant it was the bathroom this time. I wont write what it was and the staff took tare of it and made it right. The elevators are very very slow and the parking is still tough. I thought the gym was great. Very well done and lots of machines and room. They have a free shuttle every 30 minutes to and from the beach. Breakfast is better than the Hampton and the internet is good.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
John Z, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for your review. Happy to see Joe in Max & Erma’s took good care of you. My apologies regarding the dirty bathroom, but happy to see the staff took care of it and made it right. We will be "modernizing" our elevators starting in July, so you will see a dramatic increase in their efficiency. The beach shuttle runs through Labor Day Weekend and our internet is always complimentary. We hope to see you again soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed here over the weekend room 402, check in the room was clean, the maids were friendly I even ask one did she want to have a bloody marry with me. Over all the hotel is very nice even tho I got stuck in the elevator.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
John Z, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for the kinds words. We strive to exceed our guests expectations! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Fayetteville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

The hotel was very clean. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Very close to the convention center (walking distance). Shuttle to beach was great. The room was good, but no view. the pool was niceand warm.

1 Thank daniel o
John Z, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am so happy to see you enjoyed your stay and our amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

new jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

I made the mistake of staying at this place for the second year in a row to attend a convention which is the only advantage this hotel offers since it is right next door to the Va Beach CC and it is a Hilton partner for the points.

Check-in / Fronk desk workers are very pleasant and will go out of their way to make sure they get you into a room right away but the fun ends there.

Rooms- small and outdated. Bathroom toilet had an elongated seat on a round bowl...makes for an adventure AC noisey. Bed ok

Elevators are a nightmare, if the car is full be very careful if you are the last person out because the doors will slam shut on you and if you are waiting for a car by the time the last person exits, the doors are closed and off it goes.

Resturant is a Max and Ermas which makes a Dennys look and taste like a 5 star resturant. to say they are poorly staffed is an understatement.

If you are staying more than 1 night, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: the place is a dump no rooms are good
1 Thank scootstheman
John Z, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay. Unfortunately, we cannot do much about the size of our rooms, however, they are standard size for hotels. I will be sharing your comments with our team to ensure we take action to correct he toilet seat and service issues you mention. We are in the process of upgrading our elevator’s mechanical systems to improve their speed and efficiency. We are also finishing up renovations of all of our guestrooms where we have replaced the carpet, wall paper, paint, new bathroom vanities and mirrors. If I can ever be of personal assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

The hotel has an excellent shuttle service to the beach. The rooms are very nice. There is a great supermarket within walking distance. It is next to the Virginia Beach Convention Center. The staff was very helpful. The hotel welcomes seniors and people with disabilities. The computer room is free to guests. The TV was very sharp. I always enjoy staying at a Hilton.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you very much for the kind words and compliments. Our promise is to provide the special comforts and acts of kindness that make the traveler feel human again. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

District Heights, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

I like the option of the beach shuttle. It runs every 1/2 hour from 8 am to 10 pm. I received a warm cookie upon check in, and rooms were very clean, staff very helpful, location right off the RT 64. The parking was ok due to construction of condos right next door. Its all about location, location, location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank Priscilla R
John Z, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you for the kind words. Our shuttle to the beach is a great option for our guests as you do not have to worry about finding parking at the beach. Happy to hear you enjoyed our famous Doubletree cookies as well. Clean rooms and helpful staff are what we are all about. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!