“courtesy staff and excellent atmosphere. cute restaurant and very accommodating..”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach
Ranked #12 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Carlstadt, New Jersey
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We were there because of the cheering competition at the convention center. Although it was 3/4 mile from the beach we only needed to walk across the parking lot to get to convention. Easy access to the amenities on the board walk. We enjoyed our stay! I would recommend this hotel to especially competition cheerleaders because it is so convenient to the convention center! The only complaint I have is they have two double beds that were on the small size. The king size bed my friend stayed in was better.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, Social Media Champion at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Good morning Mariann K. We hope you and your family had a great Easter weekend.

We appreciate your taking time out to let us know of your stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay. We will surely pass your compliments to our hotel staff as well as the Max & Erma's staff.

We hope your team placed well at the Cheerleading Competition. We always have cheerleading groups stay with us during their competition and we know that having a restful place like ours help tremendously. We hope that you will stay with us again in your future competitions.

As for the size of the beds, the double beds we have is the same size as what other hotels have.

Thank you again Mariann.

DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed March 21, 2013

nice hotel- room was big, bedding great, clean except a moldy cup- was given fruit and cheese tray for the inconvenience. Food in restaurant was refrigerator cold- new meal was prepared free. Having to check out at 11am (no exceptions) was a problem cause the race we were running was not finished till 11. After hearing me complain in the restaurant- the bartender made a late check out happen. In the end, we were happy campers. If you are looking close to beach, not a good choice. Shares a parking lot with convention center. We brought bikes to get around.

Room Tip: request microwave and fridge early
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, Social Media Champion at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Catrunfun, thank you for sharing with us your experience regarding your last visit at the DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach. Our sincere apologies to you for the issues you encountered during your stay. To hear of any negative remarks from our guests regarding their stay is something that we learn from and correct. Rest assured that your feedback will be shared with our management team so that it won't happen again.

We hope you enjoyed your stay and that you will consider staying with us again in future visits to the area.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I (along with our chocolate lab) stayed March 15th through the 17th and overall we had a great stay. We were in town so my husband could check out the Virginia Beach, Pete Dye golf course and I was running the Shamrock Marathon on St. Paddy's Day. This was a great location to stay for the race because I walked to the Expo/Packet Pick up and the race start was a very short drive. Check in was quick and easy, the cookie was a nice touch. Our room was spacious, wifi connection, able to easily regulate the room temp, comfortable mattress, mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The bathroom was clean and shower had good water pressure. We paid for a late check out on Sunday (5PM) so I could shower and relax a bit before our long drive home, since we had to be back to work on Monday and could not stay the night. All staff was friendly and we were even given a little package of fliers for local attractions and restaurants.

This hotel is dog friendly, unfortunately this leads to my one and only complaint. We were appropriately placed on the third floor where they put all the reservations with dogs, but the folks next to us has an unruly dog that barked day and night. During the day I could have cared less, we were in and out of the room throughout the day on Saturday and kept hearing the dog barking, but figured it was because it was left unattended - who does that? I found it unacceptable when the dog started barking at 3:45AM and was still carrying on when I finally got out of bed at 5:30AM, for my race. The front desk was alerted but all that was offered was an apology. My husband and I have traveled with our dog extensively and she has calmly stayed in hotels and vacation rentals with out issue. I was under the impression that there was a policy that only well behaved dogs were allowed to stay.

If we return to the area I would likely stay because the hotel was nice, but I would not tolerate noisy dogs. I would make sure that they are willing to provide us with peace and quiet. I do not believe that when traveling with our well behaved dog we should be subjected to noisy dogs in the middle of the night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, Social Media Champion at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you TriNurse for taking time out to let us know of your experience during your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach. We hope that you faired well at the Shamrock Marathon.

We are delighted to hear that you were pleased with regards to the accommodations and the hospitality our staff have shown you during your stay. We will certainly pass this compliment to our department managers so they can share it with our staff.

We are indeed pet friendly and we try to make sure that accommodations extended to guests with pets do not affect other guests' satisfaction. Unfortunately, this wasn't the case on your end and we truly apologize for that. We will make sure that the Front Desk Manager will be informed so that this can be addressed.

Again, our appreciation for your kind words and we look forward to your visit in the future.

Bucks County PA
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed at hotel march 5-7. Rooms are so outdated. No fridge and microwaves and some rooms others have them. Internet is free but so slow and doesn't work half the time. Max and ermas food was good and resonably priced for a hotel restaurant. Can't beet the walk to convention center. No breakfast. If I pay this much a night I would expect breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank badgermom3
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, Social Media Champion at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Badgermom3, thank you for staying with us and thank you for letting us know of your concerns. Unfortunately, the fridge and microwave do not come in the room and is a request, first come-first serve basis. We do apologize if they were not available when you stayed with us.

And please be informed, to better serve our guests, DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach is currently undergoing renovations that include both guest and public areas. Our doors are still open and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause during anyone's stay.

We do hope you can revisit us again.

DoubleTree by HIlton Virginia Beach
Currently Oregon
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Reviews are all over the place for this hotel. I recommend it if its located where you need to be. One reviewer complained about the walk to the beach. Are you kidding me? Would you stay in Manhattan and walk to Coney Island? It's not a beach hotel. Get over it. What? You had to pay for wifi and didn't get free breakfast? Well, get out there and do a couple of months on the road and you too will have a wonderful life! Annnnywaaay, the hotel is fine. Good staff. Bar is nice. Restaurant is good and there's not a good restaurant in Virginia Beach that I've ever found so that doesn't bother me. OMG, there's a naval air base called Oceana and they fly VERY loud airplanes. You hear them wherever you stay around here. So, if you are a HHonors gold or diamond, don't worry about those reviews. It's like anywhere.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Good day to you backpackluxury for your review.

We appreciate your understanding on matters that have been brought up in some of our reviews. Beyond all these, we continue to strive to make each and everyone's stay, be it for vacation or business, as comfortable as possible. As they say in DoubleTree, 'we strive to make each traveler feel human again".

Thank you for your kind words about our staff, we will certainly pass this on to them.

We hope to see you again in our property when you are in town.

Flowery Branch, Georgia, United States
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Just spent a couple nights in Virginia Beach and stayed two night here at The Double Tree next to the Virginia Beach Convention Center. The first night there was very little sleep. While the room was comfortable and clean, the storm that blew up the coast that night was something else. I stayed on the ninth floor on the North East corner of the building and the wind was howling very loud. Rain was beating against the window and after a ittle while there was a pounding noise that sounded like a washing machine on the "spin" cycle with an off balance load! Bang,bang, bang, bang......This would last about 5 minutes then it would stop for about 10 then repeat cycle. This went on for a few hours starting about 2 AM. I got up and listened and it sounded like it was coming from the AC unit so I turned it off but the noise continued. I spoke to the desk clerk about it the next morning and she was going to get enginering to "look into it". I told her something may have come loose on the vent for the ac. The next night there was no storm but winds were still a bit high. Good for me, there was no banging that night. Virginia Beach is a very noisey city because of the Oceana Navel Air Station, which is the East Coast Master Jet Base. The runways are about 1.5 miles away from the hotel and the flight patterns run right over the hotel. I know because I lived In Virginia Beach from 1983-20012. I heard my first jet take off about 8AM on Friday morning then another about 10 minutes later. Those were the only tow I heard during my visis, most likely due to the storm and high winds that were presant during the time I ws there. The staff was very friendly and professional. Free wifi was available also. I ate dinner one night at the bar just before last call on Thursday night but the bartender didnt rush me to eat and get out. I didnt take them up on the complimentary breakfast as I am a late sleeper. I checked out a day early and the desk manager waived the early checkout fee and then saked me if I wanted any warm chocolate chip cookies to go. She gave me two, thanked me for my business and wished me well. So, other than the storm noise or whatever it was and the wind, both beyond their control, it was pleasant and I would stay there again. Oh, I forgot to mention. Over the last three years I in fact have stayed there several times and never had any problems. A word of caution...their building a large condominium complex right next to the hotel on the nort side. If your going to stay here, I would request a room on the south west corner of the hotel. That will put you on the exact opposite side and noise sholdnt be a factor. As I mentioned, it was storming and raining so construction was at a halt during my stay.

Room Tip: Best bet now is on the South West courner to avoid construction noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Mike M
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, Social Media Champion at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Mike M, thank you for your visit at the DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach.

It is unfortunate to read that you didn't get a good sleep during your first night at our property due to the heavy rains that evening. We do apologize about this. As you mentioned, we did in fact let our engineering department know of the noise you heard and made sure it was taken care of.

Good to know that you are familiar with Virginia Beach and the jet noise which we refer to as the "sounds of freedom". We know that this sometimes bother some of our guests and they are very receptive when we do explain to them where it is coming from.

We are pleased that despite the noise issues you mentioned that you enjoyed your stay. Our staff always strive to have our guests' stay as pleasant as possible.

Thank you again for letting us know of your stay and we hope to see you again when you are in Virginia Beach.

Anaheim, California
Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Quick check-in, good cookie, clean rooms, right next to the convention center, great price, pool fitness center, close to the beach, next to the freeway, maybe a little noise from the Air Force base, overall very nice. Thank you z

• Stayed February 2013
Good morning poefolk3434.

Thank you for a very wonderful review about our property. We are extremely delighted that you had an excellent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach. We will certainly pass this to our staff.

Looking forward to your future visits in Virginia Beach.