“Good hotel and staff, Wi-Fi internet was a pain”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach
Ranked #15 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good hotel and staff, Wi-Fi internet was a pain”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed here at the recommendation of a colleague. The hotel had some construction going on next door with a new building of some type going up, so the parking lot was crowded, loud, and possibly dangerous.

The room I had was okay, roomy, but in need of a little updating. The air/heating unit was old, it had apparently been updated in the past but became broken, and so the old fashioned on the floor by the window model with turn dial was what was provided.

The Wi-Fi internet was a constant pain, disconnecting, with sketchy service. It was free for me since I am a Hilton Honors member, but I had to had the $9.95 charge per day removed from my bill before checking out as it added it to my room anyway.

I might stay here again, though Virginia Beach has plenty of hotels to choose from.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor corner room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Slowhand1527:
Thank you for your review. Fortunately, the construction next door will be wrapping up soon, and we are increasing the parking availability on two sides of our building for our guests. We recently increased our internet band width, but based on your comments we are again researching this issue so connectivity can be fast and easy for all guests.
Thank you again, and we look forward to your next visit to Virginia Beach!
Melanie Bowman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

The staff here is great! The rooms are large and comfortable. Restaurant is good and reasonably priced. The Convention Center is just across the parking lot. In town for USA Fencing's NAC tournament. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Fencin:
We are so glad you stayed with us during the fencing tournament. I'm please you enjoyed your room and our Max & Erma's restaurant. We look forward to your next visit!
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stay at this hotel when I come to VA Beach for races. It is within a block of the Convention Center, which makes packet pick up easy. It is also at the start line for the Wicked 10k and Surfin Santa 10 Miler. It is not on the beach, but during the beach season the hotel provides free shuttle service to the beach. To walk from the beach to the hotel takes about 17 minutes, a nice stroll. The rooms are clean, I find in the off season a bit musty, spruced up with room freshner, but okay. The staff are some of the nicest people and go out of their way to accomodate. My only complaint I ever have with this hotel is the internet is terrible. The connection is slow and tends to drop. Other than that, it is a great place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear clamshell0121:
Thank you for taking time to review us on TripAdvisor. We so enjoy having the race participants stay with us for several races including the Wicked, Surfin Santa, Shamrock and Rock and Roll. We recently increased our internet band width in an effort to improve the connectivity for our guests. You should see an improvement during your next visit.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Came to town for Beach Wedding. 1st time in VA Beach, while I was not impressed with the beach it self, the reception I received at this hotel more than made up for it. The lobby and common areas are lovely. We arrived in the middle of the night and the staff was warm and friendly, which helped after a long drive. The next morning staff went out of the way to assist us in locating the facility the wedding was held at. And upon our return we were once again greeted by friendly staff and excellent customer service. Additionally the our house keeper was wonderful and he did an excellent job of anticipating our need for extra towels and toiletries during out stay. During the warm months the hotel offers a free shuttle to the beach which is great if you don’t wish to drive. Overall this was a wonderful experience for a first time visit to VA Beach.

Room Tip: They have VIP Floors that are very quiet
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank S G
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear S G:
Thank you for your wonderful review! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your first visit to Virginia Beach and hope that you will be back to see us again soon. We take great pride in providing excellent customer service, and I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the warmth of our hospitality.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Doubletree on a Saturday night while visiting friends in the area. Overall we enjoyed our experience. Parking is free but a fairly long walk from the front door reception area (not fun in the rain). The front desk clerks were very friendly and offered us the signature free Doubletree cookies both at check-in and check-out. We were upgraded for free to a room on the 12th floor, which is the "HHonors VIP" level. The decor in the room was a bit dated; the furniture and bathroom were showing their age, but the bed and lounge chair were very comfortable. Unlike in many hotels, the high-definition TV actually showed high-definition channels. We liked the location--right off of I-264, not far from the beach, and close to restaurants and shopping on Laskin Road. If you're here without a car, we noticed many taxis cruising nearby. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rory F
Dear Rory F:
Thank you for staying with us and for taking time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and received warm, friendly service from our staff. We look forward to your next visit!
Madison
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed here for a convention. The convention center is a couple of blocks from the hotel. I liked the room, but it did smell a bit like air freshener. The bed was great: nice sheets and pillows. My phone did not work, I had could not get the alarm to work on the clock radio, and when I took a shower, the tub filled up 4" - 5" with water. The hallways were not very bright and my key card always needed several attemps to open the door.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear oscar1592:
Thank you for taking time to rate us on TripAdvisor! I do apologize that there were problems with the phone and the alarm clock as well as the tub drain. These are issues that should all be prevented. Our Executive Housekeeper has relayed these concerns to our staff and with their continued focus on ensuring that everything in the room is clean and in working order, I'm confident we will do a better job in preventing future guests from having the same experience.
South Mills, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This hotel was filled with mold. My allergies were inflamed and I was sick for my entire vacation 1 week. My children were also affected. There was also a lack of service personnel leading to long wait times and rooms not being prepared for our check in time. The disability room was lacking the essentials, (no shower bar or toliet bar). I will never use this hotel brand for any future vacations.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Lahonda C
Dear Lahonda C:
I do apologize for the wait to check in as well as the allergy issues you and your family experienced. Our guests' comfort is extremely important, as is providing appropriate accommodations. We have several ADA rooms on property and all are in compliance. However, if there was anything we could have done during your visit to make you more comfortable, we would have done so gladly. Again, I apologize that your stay was unsatisfactory and would be grateful for any additional information you can share to ensure all concerns are addressed.

Travelers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels