DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach
$169
GardenInn.com
$81
Country Inn
Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront(Virginia Beach)(Great Value!)
$192
$176
  • Beachfront
Best Western Plus Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel(Virginia Beach)(Great Value!)
$110
$90
$110
Oceanaire Resort Hotel(Virginia Beach)(Great Value!)
$145
$206
$189
Hampton.com
Comfort Suites Beachfront(Virginia Beach)(Great Value!)
$117
ComfortSuites
Comfort Inn & Suites(Virginia Beach)(Great Value!)
$63
Ocean Beach Club(Virginia Beach)
$145
$125
Hotels.com
1,413 results
All reviewsconvention centerdouble treewarm cookiesmax and ermasshuttle servicefree shuttlebusiness tripvery nice hotelbeach frontindoor poolconferenceproximityracevbhousekeeperboardwalk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I checked in late on a Friday night, armed with my confirmation number. Despite having paid a one-night deposit, I was informed that the hotel did not have a room for me--without much sympathy. The clerk acknowledged my reservation, but told me they didn't have room. The hotel made arrangements with another hotel that was a 20-minute drive away. I didn't have a car, and they didn't offer transportation. The next day when I returned, the manager tried to make it right and made a bunch of promises that she later did not keep. (Read more at http://tvdavis.net/2012/07/31/e-mc2/.)

Aside from that fiasco, the hotel was severely understaffed. I had to walk through the restaurant to find someone to seat me for breakfast, and then the server didn't show up to offer me a drink until I had been through the buffet line and finished my meal. In the bar, there were a couple of bartenders who tried really hard to serve their customers, but they couldn't keep up with no serving assistance.

I was there to attend a trade show at the neighboring convention center, so I heard similar stories from others. One man had been there three days and his room still hadn't been cleaned.

The hotel was 100% occupied, but they did not have enough staff to accommodate. Also, one of the three elevators was broken until the last day I was there, so depending on time of day, waits could be long. (I'm not afraid to take the stairs, but my room was on the 10th floor.)

This property deserved neither the Doubletree franchise nor the Hilton banner.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear Tammy D:
Thank you for taking time to share your experiences and frustrations. I can certainly see how disappointing your stay was and apologize for the the challenges with staffing and providing the level of service we strive for.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

What a disappointment! We’ve come to expect a great deal from Doubletrees, and always try to stay in one if possible. This property, is a Doubletree in name only. We arrived early on the day of our reservation to attend a wedding, only to be told that no rooms were ready and they didn’t know when to expect one. We were told to check back at 4pm. When I noted that we were in a block of rooms reserved for a wedding, and that the wedding was at 5pm, I was greeted with a blank stare. We returned at 3pm, and our room was ready—but when we stepped off the elevator, the floor was steaming hot because apparently at this property they don’t air condition the common areas of the room floors! Our room bore all the signs of a worn out property—the carpet is fraying in places, the bathroom door along the bottom was chipped and scarred, the plug was not attached in the tub, and the flapper in the toilet didn’t work. As we headed out to the wedding, I mentioned the toilet to the front desk manager and asked if they could take care of it while we were out. I was promised Engineering would be sent up. When we returned from the wedding some 6 hours later, the toilet still had not been fixed—nor was it during our entire stay. Then to top it off, the bill placed under our door was inaccurate in too many ways to count—except for the fact that we were charged for more than $300 in charges we never incurred. I appreciate that front desk manager Greg [--] worked diligently for more than 20 minutes to resolve the issue, and ultimately correct the bill so that I only had to pay the correct amount of $10 for incidental charges (internet fee), but this has never happened at other Doubletrees!!! Yes, it is convenient to the beach (although MUCH MUCH further than the 8 blocks they advertise), but you can stay at many better properties closer to the beach and NOT be disappointed! We will NOT be returning to this Doubletree, and Hilton should seriously evaluate whether this property should remain part of their chain!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2012

Dear Vabandit:
I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. It can be quite frustrating to wait for a room to be ready when you arrive, and I am glad we were able to accommodate you prior to our check-in time. I am also pleased that Gary corrected the error in your billing, and do apologize that that happened at all. The conditional concerns you shared are ours as well, which is why we will be renovating our rooms this fall. We are very excited about new carpet and several other items that will make our guests feel more at home.
I do hope you will reconsider visiting our property again and enjoy all the new things we are doing!

Reviewed July 28, 2012

I checked in just before 4 PM Mon. 7/23 & asked for microfridge. The overhead bulbs in bathroom were flickering, the TV remote batteries were low, the bedskirt was trailing all over the floor, making it unsafe to walk around the bed. Since I had engineering come up for the bulb replacement I asked a second time about the microfridge. After the 4th complaint to the Front Desk I finally got a microfridge after 6:15 PM, so I had to wait on that to transfer my perishables before leaving for dinner.
The hotel is near the Oceana Naval Station, and the deafening sounds of F16s and large cargo aircraft are constant, even at 2:30 AM. The hotel is 8 blocks from the ocean so you have to rely on their shuttle to avoid the parking & traffic near the oceanfront. That makes for alot of walking to and from the shuttle drop-off area, and alot of waiting.
The second day after a day at the beach I returned to my room 5 times to find it had not been made up. At 2:30 PM the Front Desk called Housekeeping to put the cleaning of my room on Top Priority. I swam for an hour at the indoor pool to get some of the sand off and at 3:30 when I went back to the room it still was untouched. Front Desk told me to give it another half hour so I had no choice but to sit on their lobby furniture with sandy, wet swim suit. By 4 PM my room was still unmade so I asked for Housekeeping Supervisor. By the time my room was ready for me to shower, relax & get ready for dinner it was nearly 4:30 PM, so in essence I was paying all day for a room I couldn't use to freshen up & I didn't get a much-needed nap. The Supervisor gave me a comp voucher for free breakfast buffet the next morning & promise that my room would be made up shortly after 9 AM.
By the time I got ready to go to dinner severe thunderstorms were in the area so I had no choice but to eat at hotel restaurant, Max & Erma's. I ordered Laredo Steak, salad, baked potato & indicated to waitress I wanted steak medium rare. She brought salad, which I ate, but when she brought steak & potato I could see the steak was perfectly medium rare but the butter sauce on top was just sitting there. When I put butter on baked potato it just sat there, so the entire dinner was less than lukewarm. The waitress took my dinner back to the kitchen, and fifteen minutes later when she'd not even returned to my table to give me an update I walked out, took the shuttle to the beach and ended up not eating dinner until 9:30 PM. If I hadn't booked with Hotwire through 7/26 checkout I would have left a day early, but I was stuck. This was the first vacation I'd treated myself to in over 12 years and I've never seen such poor customer service.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank karentdesign

Dear karentdesign:
I do apologize that your vacation with us did not go as expected. Since we do provide microwaves and refrigerators complimentary, there are many requests for them. We do have a procedure in place to quickly locate and provide these items, and I am sorry it took so long for us to get one to your room. Our Housekeeping staff works to have all rooms cleaned and refreshed prior to 4:00pm, but unfortunately there are times when it does take a bit longer. Again, I know this was a frustration for you and put another damper on your much overdue vacation. Lastly, your experience in the restaurant is completely unacceptable and will be addressed with the service staff.
I do appreciate that you took time to provide us this constructive criticism.

Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

A very standard well used hotel. Nothing found to be wrong. Except the low flying jets. I like watching them from the 10th floor. But they do start flying early in the morning. Would say the hotel is due for a face lift the fittings are getting worn out. Evident on the chair arms in my room. It served a purpose I got a comfy bed and slept well

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank mrjohnWales

Dear mrjohnWales:
Thank you for your comments. I am glad you were comfortable and hope you will visit us again soon to see our new carpet, guest room chairs and other upgrades coming this fall.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

The only thing this hotel has going for it, is it is close to the Va Beach Convention Center other than that stay away. The place is run down, rooms are small and the AC either froze you out or made it feel like it was a sweatbox. AC in the public areas is very weak and the elevators ... you take you life in your own hands trying to get on them. The resturant is a Max and Erma's, poorly staffed, had to ask numerous times for utensils and napkins, service was slow and wrong most of the time. No free WiFi except in public areas, pool was gross and the work out center had little kids playing soccer and dodgeball with the exercise balls. The hotel staff was friendly and knew the hotel itself was in trouble. As far as sound..you have construction of a new building right next door and the naval air station on the other side of the treeline so the sound of fighter jets is frequent.

Room Tip: only the hotel staff trying their best and the location to the Va Beach CC deserves any credit
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank scootstheman

Dear scootstheman:
I regret that you did not have good experience at our property. The summer is extremely busy for us and areas like the indoor pool and fitness center receive heavy usage. I can assure you that our onsite staff monitors and adjusts the pool constantly during the summer months to ensure that it is clean and safe for all guests. While we post that children are not to be in the fitness center unattended, we continuously monitor this as well as the Business Center so that all our guests can take advantage of these amenities. Staffing in the restaurant is a concern, and will be addressed with the management. Again, I do apologize that these things affected your stay and sincerely hope you will reconsider and visit us again to see the updates scheduled for this fall.