“NOT for Hilton Honors members”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach
Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
washington, DC
“NOT for Hilton Honors members”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

There is nothing good I can say about this hotel. This was my second stay (4/15/12 & 3/12/11).
The initial check-in was not a good experience. I checked in at 3PM but was told room was not ready till 4PM. At 5PM I returned and waited 5 minutes as the front desk clerk relayed back and forth with housekeeping on a LOUD 2-way radio as to the status of the room. Finally, they put me in a room, but when I got there the key cards didn't work so I had to trudge back down luggage in tow and WAIT again in the line of people till I was issued new cards.
The hotel room was OK, a bit dated with all the old carpeting, curtains, furniture and dimly lit bathroom. NO mini fridge, no microwave (Rm 520).
I could hear my neighbors TV's and some conversations when they laughed or sneezed. What really got me was the LOUD housekeeping staff. They were whooping it up and complaining about the condition of each room they opened to clean, and they worked until 5PM most days. I know their job is tough but at least they could do it quietly and not disturb guests!
TWO BIG NEGATIVES: NO FREE BREAKFAST, and CHARGES FOR INTERNET CONNECTION!
Well, there was free Wi-Fi in the lobby, if you could find a seat in the few chairs available. There were a dozen or more people avoiding charges by hanging out in the lobby on their laptops.
BOTTOM LINE: There are many other places to stay that will give you more bang for the buck!

Room Tip: There are better choices for HH members than this one.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Dear Ro G:
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay overall and appreciate relaying the information about the housekeeping staff. We should be working quietly and not disturbing guests.
Melanie Bowman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City
Reviewed April 17, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the DoubleTree in Virginia Beach for 5 days during a fencing tournament at the convention center. The location was perfect - quick walk across the parking lot. My daughter turned 13 during our stay. When I asked the front desk if they had any suggestions of some kind of birthday greeting, they quickly suggested that they could put together a bouquet of birthday balloons and send them up to our room the morning of her birthday. It was darling and very festival - she was delighted! The gentleman who delivered the bouquet also very charming and wished her happy birthday by name. We could not have asked for more.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Thank you KimWBL for your wonderful comment regarding your stay.

We, at the Doubletree, are committed in making each Guest visit a memorable one.

And we know that Birthdays are a celebration, and we wanted to make sure your daughter had a great one in your "home" far away from home.

Thank you for your stay.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Great access to the convention center (a 5 minute walk or 1 minute drive). Breakfast was not as good, with near burnt eggs and non-toasted toast. Message to the hotel: PLEASE fix the elevators. At the time of my visit, by the time people got out of the elevator, the doors immediately shut and large groups formed waiting just to get their room. Another issue we had was the room above us had overfilled their bathtub, and had leaked water through our bathroom ceiling in the middle of the night. Luckily, it was over the shower and staff quickly responded and had it fixed as soon as morning came. ALSO, the hotel reimbursed us for the night's issues which was greatly appreciated. Staff was exceptional regardless of the issues. Room was otherwise suitable even though it was a little expensive. Wifi was $10/day in the room, while it was free in the lobby and 2nd floor. Surprisingly, the wifi in the lobby was faster than that in the room.

Room Tip: close to convention center good service
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Thank you bacibrother for your review regarding your stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Virginia Beach. We are glad that our staff made your stay exceptional despite the issues you mentioned.

Please be assured that your concerns are being addressed with appropriate departments to make sure that your future stays with us will truly be satisfactory. I am extending my sincere apologies for the issues you had with the elevators, the water leak, and the food at our restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel for future stays, and providing you with the highest level of service and quality our guests deserve. Thank you again for this feedback, and have a wonderful day!

Huntington, West Virginia
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I stayed at this property for two nights in April 2012 while in the area for a high school music event. I was sold a king room for a weekend rate of $89 per night.

The property is located adjacent to the Virginia Beach Convention Center and approximately ten blocks from the boardwalk area. The building appears to be of circa 1970s or 80s construction with a complete remodel presently underway.

The exterior of the property is presently troublesome as work is in progress on an expansive portion of the main entrance and parking areas. Adequate parking is available in secondary lots but access to the entrance is somewhat lengthy. This could be a problem for disabled guests. The secondary lots were noted to be woefully dark. It appeared that there was an attempt to remedy this by placing floodlights on portions of the building’s exterior. This had no effect on the parking areas and I did not feel completely safe arriving there after dark. The area immediately around the entrance featured attractive, freshly laid brick. This was offset by garbage cans at the entrance that were overflowing to the ground. In this regard, attention to detail was sorely lacking.

The remodel of the lobby area was complete, it was found to be attractive and service at check-in was flawless. I was welcomed as an HHonors Gold member by Dion who obviously has customer service down to a science. After receiving the obligatory cookies I was off to my room.

Elevator service at the property was noted to be prompt but the cabs were worn and did not appear to be consistently cleaned. Dirt collections in the corners told the tale. In my travels I have found that the elevator cabs provide a “window” to the operation. If the staff keeps the elevator cabs sparkling, the rest of the place sparkles as well. Lots of dirt and dust, but no sparkle in the Doubletree cabs.

Interior hallways to the sleeping rooms were noted to be very dark. Through the building’s design there was little access to natural light. While the wall sconces were noted to be new, there simply were not enough of them. It did not lend itself to a welcoming feel.

The sleeping room was found to be clean and neat with all electrical appliances in good working order. Temperature control was easy to manage but the HVAC had a slight musty odor while in the cooling mode. Bedding was of the quality expected for the brand and price point.

Reflecting the age of the property, and as compared to new hotel construction, the bathroom was noted to be very small. It was well lit and towels/bath amenities were found to be as expected. The electrical outlet in the bath was well worn, causing hair dryer plugs to routinely fall from the wall.

Through my HHonors standing I was given coupons for complimentary breakfast in the on-site Max and Erma’s restaurant. The quality, variety and flavor of the food products were far below that which I am accustomed to at Doubletree properties. This may be a cost cutting move on the part of management – regardless it is, at best, a weak spot. I did not make the same mistake twice, opting out of the complimentary breakfast on check-out day for one based on quality that I paid for down the street.

Check-out was effortless as all charges were appropriate. Once again, front desk staff were found to be polite, friendly and seemed to understand great customer service. I was thanked for my business and invited back.

This is a property in transition – and it shows. Without knowing its history, my bet is that it hit rock bottom and an investor group is spending big bucks to restore its former glory. That work is in progress. There are signs that it is getting there, but it still has not reached the point of property-wide consistency.

Looking into 2013 I am to be back in the area for at least one week on business. I lean toward giving this property a second chance to show that its leaders can build upon the successes that I saw while improving on the challenges that are also evident. If those improvements aren’t there, a Hilton is but one mile away.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank cburley
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear cburley:
Thank you for taking time to provide a thorough review of our property. While the hotel has been around for about 28 years, we are continuing to improve and upgrade to meet the needs of our guests. Thank you as well for the compliments to our hotel staff. We do hope to see you again in 2013. I'm sure you'll be pleased.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed March 22, 2012

If you are looking for a convenient hotel near Convention center and the beach, this is a good option. We stayed here with my husband for our "romantic getaway". Our room was nice,cozy, clean and quiet, Staff was welcoming and super friendly. Everybody from housekeeping to the hotel management were asking about our stay and seemed involved a lot. there is a huge parking lot with lots of parking spaces (for free) which is also monitored by security at night, so we had no worries about safety.The fitness center is up-to-date and it has a reasonable pool to relax with a huge sundeck.
There was also nice restaurant downstairs (Max and Ermas). I should say it was more then pleasant dining experience. Food was awesome, waitress was fast and fun)))
So, overall Double Tree did everything for us to have an excellent stay! We will definitely stay here again!!!

Room Tip: If you want to stay like a king - take a two-room suite!!!!!! we did and never regret it!!! It has s...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Natalya T
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Thank you, truly, Natalya T, for providing such a glowing review about your romantic getaway here with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach! We are so incredibly pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay so thoroughly!
I have made certain to commend our staff for a job well done in providing the level of service that we strive to provide at our hotel. We truly look forward to welcoming you back as our guest, and hope that you have a wonderful day!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed March 17, 2012

We are a military family who was in the process of moving to virginia beach when we stayed at the Doubletree. We checked in on Feb 29th 2012. We get up to our room and our keys don't work so I bring them down to the front desk and tell the young lady that my key doesn't work her response to me was if you put them next to your cellphone you will cause them not to work. Great but my cellphone was in the car so yea that wasn't the problem. We had asked for a crib for my 3 month old son and they brought us one. We go to put my son in the crib and my wife notices the crib sheet is a king size bed crib sheet. So i call down to the front desk and asked for an infant sheet and they told me they don't have one. So my wife and I discussed putting him in the crib with out the sheet. We removed the sheet and the crib was so nasty and dirty that my wife took pictures of it. She never takes pictures of anything. So we called the front desk and asked for a new one and never got one. We rolled the crib in the hallway we didn't want it in the room. So my three month old slept on my chest that night and neither of us got any sleep. Upon check in we were giving a complimentary breakfast so in the morning we ordered room service. We go to check out and they charged me for the breakfast so i handed the guy my complimentary breakfast coupon and he said that was good for dinning in only. I asked him where it said that on the coupon and he said it didnt but thats there policy. I have a picture of that coupon as well. We were charged for 51.26 for 3 breakfasts that consist of 2 eggs hash browns and toast. The eggs were cold the hash browns where burnt and the bread was stale. I called doubletree numerous times to report my experience and have gotten nowhere. I also emailed then and still have not received a response. with all the hotel choices in Virginia Beach i would make Doubletree your absolutely have no place to stay last resort.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank nick32083
Thank you for providing this feedback regarding your stay, nick32083.
We take each and every one of our guest comments incredibly seriously, as these are our most important tools as we strive to provide the utmost level of service and quality at our hotel.
I would like to apologize, sincerely, for the issues with cleanliness and service that you experienced during your stay. This is absolutely not typical of our hotel, and I can assure you that this has been addressed.
We have completed the purchase of new bedding and mattresses for our complimentary cribs, so that this cleanliness issue is avoided in future. We have also discontinued the usage of these breakfast coupons, and have proceeded to use coupons indicating that these breakfast packages are applicable for in-room dining only. I would like to apologize for this miscommunication.
We truly hope to have the opportunity to exceed your expectations at another time. If you may have any questions or concerns, or would like to discuss these issues further, please contact our CARE Coordinator, Hannah Murphy, at hmurphy@doubletreevb.com, or myself at melanie.bowman@doubletreevb.com. Thank you again, and have a wonderful day!

Travelers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

Clarksburg, Maryland
Reviewed March 17, 2012

The Hotel is nice and the location is fine. We run so we liked the run to the beach which is about 2 miles.

The customer service is what sets this place apart. Seriously the people here are super nice; of course we treat people nice so that goes along way.

We brought our dog Grady ( 80 pound Weimaraner) and everyone in the Hotel was so nice to him.

The room met out need for two nights thought the bathroom was a little small but we dealt with it. The only thing that was missing really was a safe in room.l
And the fact you couldn't order a movie in the room. Other than that which is basically a first world pain we liked the place and stay again!!!!

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank Neilio1022
Thank you for providing this review regarding your recent stay with us here at the DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia beach, Neilio1022.
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay so thoroughly! I have made certain to take note of your comments regarding in room safes, as currently we provide safety deposit lock boxes at our front desk, so that we may take this into account as we continue to update and upgrade our property.
We truly look forward to welcoming you (and Grady!) back to our property, and we will have warm cookies and a dog biscuit ready for you! Thank you again for this feedback, and have a wonderful day!

Hannah Murphy