“Convenient to Convention Center”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach
Ranked #15 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Richmond, Virginia
“Convenient to Convention Center”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We had a last minute family event to attend in Virginia Beach and made reservations here because the rate was attractive and the location convenient. The hotel is well maintained and close to the beach, although it is much better suited if you're coming to the convention center, which is within easy walking distance, for an event. We checked in late in the evening and left the next morning so did not try the on-site restaurant. We were given two warm, delicious cookies on check-in, though. The room was spacious, clean and well-kept. Only gripe--unless you're a Hilton Honors member you must pay for wifi, which is an outdated practice and off-putting, to say the least. I could have signed up for Hilton Honors on the spot, except I couldn't get on the Internet--Catch 22. We weren't there long enough to really care about this, but be advised.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach. We are so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, and found our location to be convenient.
We have passed along your kind words regarding the cleanliness of our rooms to our housekeeping department, and are pleased that you enjoyed our warm DoubleTree by Hilton chocolate chip cookies as well!
Complimentary internet access is truly an amenity that we hope to be able to provide to each of our guests in the future, and we apologize if this may have caused any inconvenience during your stay.
Thank you again for providing this feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future! Have a wonderful day!

Melanie Bowman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Massapequa Park, New York, United States
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I stay here atleast once every few weeks and we love it! It is beatiful, best beds and pillows, big nice new tvs. Restaurant with room service, pool and fitness center onsite. A gift shop with anything you need if you forgot something and the greatest staff.. everyone is so sweet and it keeps bringing us back. Rates are fair and I have stayed at many places in VB and this is our favorite! Only thing that is a setback is that you have to pay for WIFI in your room and its disappointing but overall an amazing hotel. Best at the beach !

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Meredith W
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Thank you, truly, for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience(s) here with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach!
We are so pleased to read find our hotel possesses the comforts of home, and that our staff has been able to make such a wonderful impression over your past stays with us.
We look forward to your future stays here at our hotel!
Complimentary wireless internet access is an amenity that we sincerely hope to be able to offer to our guests in the future, and we do apologize that we were unable to offer that at this time.
Thank you again for this feedback, and have a wonderful day!

Jacksonville Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I stay here when I go to Virginia Beach for business. I always have a great stay. I did get to use the fitness center this time and was pleasantly surprised. All the machines worked great and it was clean. I was early so no towels were available when I went. Rooms were clean and the big screen TV with HD was awesome also. Free Wi-Fi in the lobby and business center for printing etc. is available as well. Bar and restaurant available in motel. Plenty of parking for RV's or campers and is right next to the Virginia Beach Pavilion.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for the cookie!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Eric34328
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
Thank you so very much for taking the time to provide this review about your recent stay with us here at the DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach. We are so pleased to see that you have returned to our property, and enjoyed your stay so thoroughly once more! We are truly looking forward to welcoming you back as our guest, and we will keep plenty of cookies warm for you!
Thank you again, and have a wonderful day!

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed January 16, 2012

My recent stay at the Double Tree was fantastic. The staff were very friendly and I absolutely LOVE the warm cookies upon arrival. The hotel itself was clean as well as our room, and my favorite part was how comfy the bed was. The temperature in the room was a little hard to regulate but I have to say that was the only semi-issue we had. I would definitely book this hotel again in the future. Great place!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Christine G
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at the DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach here on TripAdvisor!
We are so incredibly pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay so thoroughly, and found our beds so comfy and our signature warm DoubleTree by Hilton chocolate chip cookies with walnuts to be so delicious! I will certainly speak with our Chief of Engineering regarding the heat regulation within the rooms, however, to be certain that this may be rectified.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future, and promise to keep plenty of cookies warm for you! Thank you again, and have a great day!

Hannah Murphy
CARE Coordinator
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed January 13, 2012

I walked into the lobby and my room keys were ready, free internet code given to me, and I was on my way to my room in under 2 minutes with my cookie. The individual at the checkin desk gave me his name and made certain that if there were and problems or questions to call for him by name. The room was large and clean, the bed very comfortable, and there was no noise from the hallway. Checkout was equally fast - dropped off the keys and left for my meetings in town.

Room Tip: Even a room near the elevator was quiet.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Michael K
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
Thank you, truly, for providing such a glowing review about the DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach!
We are so incredibly pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so thoroughly, and that our wonderful staff and facility made such a great impression! We are looking forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the future, and providing you with another rewarding hotel experience.
Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel here on TripAdvisor, and we hope that you have a wonderful day!

Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed January 10, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for New Years Eve party. The party was outstanding, food great, service wonderful, open bar, and good band. The room was clean and neat. Hotel staff was friendly. We had no issues except it is advertised as the Doubletree at the oceanfront. It is not on the beach. It is a bit too far to even walk to the beach. They have separate floors for smoking so it is good for either smoker or non smokers. There is a restaurant in the lobby that has good food and reasonable prices.

Room Tip: Make sure you specify smoking or non smoking. I believe it is seperated by floors so non smokers don...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jennifer B
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach for our sparkling New Year's Eve Gala! We appreciate all feedback, and utilize this as our most important tool in our efforts to provide the best service and quality to each of our guests.
We are so truly pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay so thoroughly, and had a great time at our celebration! Though we are directly located on the Virginia Beach Oceanfront, during the summer months we offer a complimentary shuttle service to and from the beach for our guests, so that they may enjoy a bit of sun in the fun! We truly hope to welcome you back to our property as our guest another time!
Thank you again, and have a wonderful day!

Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I am a faithful Hilton family traveler and was shocked at this hotel. I arrived in the evening after a long day of travel from the West Coast. When I arrived and inquired about how late the hotel restaurant was open, I was informed that night was the all employee holiday party and the restaurant was closed. As was the sundries shop. I asked how they had notified guests of this prior to arrival and was told - nope, we're just telling guests as they check in. Hmmm... Employees were smoking outside and the stinky smell was wafting into the lobby.
As I arrived in my room, my welcome letter from the GM had my name typed wrong. The next morning as I headed down to the hotel restaurant for breakfast, I was told by the server that the guest catering team that was in the night before to cook for the party had shut the gas off and no one knew how to turn it back on, so there would be no hot breakfast available. The second morning I went down for breakfast, I was told by a different server that since the hotel & restaurant were "so slow" they wouldn't be offering the hot buffet and that I should plan to order off the menu.
On the postive side, the maintenance staff was very responsive when I asked for someone to fix the SQUEAK I heard every time I opened the door to my room.

Was definitely not the DoubleTree experience to which I am accustomed. Very sad indeed. It's tough to travel for business right before the holidays, but getting such sub-par service makes it even worse.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank TLC_ATX
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
Thank you for reviewing your stay at our property. We absolutely appreciate this candid feedback, as we may utilize this in our efforts to provide the most rewarding experience possible to each of our guests.
I would like to sincerely apologize for the service issues that effected your stay negatively, as we strive to provide the absolute highest level of customer service to each of our guests. Though we were limited during the date of our employee appreciation party, I will certainly be addressing the service issues to be certain that these do not occur in the future.
I am glad to read that our engineering department made such a wonderful impression, however, and will be certain that they are commended for a job well done.
We truly hope to have the opportunity to exceed your expectations at another time. If you may have any other questions or concerns, please contact myself at melanie.bowman@doubletreevb.com or our CARE Coordinator, Hannah Murphy, at hmurphy@doubletreevb.com. Thank you again for this feedback, and have a wonderful day!

Travelers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels