“30th anniversary - Perfect accomodations and Staff experience”

Comfort Inn & Suites Oceanfront
Ranked #2 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ohio
“30th anniversary - Perfect accomodations and Staff experience”
Reviewed June 15, 2007

We originally planned to stay at a hotel very close. The first night at the nearby hotel was unpleasant at best, followed by a less than average cont. breakfast. My wife and I walked the boardwalk early our first morning there and decided to make a change. We entered the Comfort Inn and immediately were impressed by the surroundings. The Manager (Luis) was very understanding of our situation. He personally gave us a tour, with a visit to a room to confirm we were aware of the amenities. Before we committed to reserving a room, he suggested we eat at their continental breakfast. Man what a difference, everything was well supplied, there were waffle griddles with all the toppings as well as all of the expected breakfast fare. The desk clerks (Neil and Jerry) were extremely professional as well as the other staff that we met. Throughout the week, Luis would ask to see how things were going, if there was anything we needed. The staff was extremely polite and would refuse to enter or exit an elevator prior to my wife and I even as I would encourage them to do so. The staff, accomodtions, breakfast, and overall atmosphere made our week. We will always stay at this hotel in the future, and will encourage all friends and family to do the same. We are extremely grateful to each and every employee for making our week. The proprietor and management should be very pleased with the efforts of all involved.

Stayed June 2007
12 Thank Family_first_45895

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Charleston, WV
Reviewed June 12, 2007

This hotel was a breeze from beginning to end. I must say it was one of the better experiences I've had with hotels @ Va Beach. The location is superb, breakfast great, nice computer/work area with printer. Checkin/checkout-no headache. The way this hotel is laid out and run just makes it a perfect place to stay. We did go the week before the big crowds start, so that could've been why it all went so well. Even the elevators were speedy and efficient. So go, enjoy, you cant go wrong here!

• Liked — well run from top to bottom
  • Disliked — no outdoor pool
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank sheryl1963
Coon Rapids, MN
Reviewed May 3, 2007

Very good value for the price (at least pre-season). Two room suite with full oceanfront view from living room incl balcony; bedroom in back and bathroom inbetween. Clean, nicely decorated. Good location for restaurants and beach activity. Good continental breakfast with waffels. Undercover parking. Only minor complaint was thermostat for AC had to be set to 60 degrees to be cooled to 70 degrees (reported to hotel when we left, assume problem was corrected - did not disturb our stay as room could be adequately cooled).

• Liked — Price, two room suite oceanfront
  • Disliked — minor issue with thermostat but no real problem
  • Stayed April 2007
8 Thank Coon_Rapids_Traveler
New York
Reviewed April 18, 2007

My mother and I recently took my 17 year old daughter and her friend to Virginia Beach for part of their spring break. I had not been to Virginia Beach in 15 years, so I had no idea where to stay. I spent a lot of time reviewing comments made on tripadvisor.com, and narrowed my selection to the Comfort Inn Oceanfront and the Fairfield. Both properties appeared to be very similar, but I chose the Comfort Inn Oceanfront because they offered a senior discount, which resulted in a significant savings. Fairfield did not. Anyway, we were very happy with this hotel. The bed in the bedroom was very comfortable, and the sleeper sofa was big enough to accomodate 2 teenagers. I had originally thought I might have to get an extra cot since some sleeper sofas are small, but this was not the case at all. The balcony was lovely, magnificent view and location. Very clean, especially the bathroom. Breakfast was ok, indoor pool nice, hot tub wonderful! We were there during an unusually cold spell, and I think they had trouble keeping up with the pool towels. One time there were none available the entire time, so we had to air dry. Overall, I would strongly urge anyone to stay here. It's clean, comfortable, and perfectly located. Just a word of caution - Virginia Beach, while a nice town, is rather quiet compared to say Myrtle Beach. If the weather is bad or cold, there's stuff to do for maybe one and a half to two days. Then you start thinking about going home. We went to the Aquarium and IMAX (lots of fun), rented bikes, played mini golf, ate out, swam indoors, and walked and walked and walked. I bet it's a great place in warm weather!

• Liked — size of room
  • Disliked — Only the weather!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
11 Thank Boneys
Lynch Station, Virginia
Reviewed April 12, 2007

My husband and I took our two young grandsons to the beach for a few days during their spring break, and we were very happy with this hotel. The lobby was attractive with lots of tropical plants; the indoor pool was well maintained and great for the kids during this unusually cold spell. Our suite was recently renovated with new carpet and furniture. It consisted of a bedroom on the back and a sitting room facing the ocean. The bathroom was large with double shower heads over the tub, lots of fluffy towels, and good quality lotion, shampoo, etc. The bed linens were of excellent quality, and the ones for the sofa bed were packed in plastic bags, which was more reassuring than what I have seen in other hotels.There was also a small sink, a small refrigerator, and a microwave. The view of the ocean was superb, and the private balcony had good, sturdy railings that small children could not fall through. This is not always the case with hotel balconies. Breakfast consisted of do-it-yourself waffles, toast, cereals, pastries, fruit, juices, and excellent coffee. The breakfast area was kept clean and restocked by two very attentive attendants. We ate relatively early when the area was not crowded; it did seem to become quite crowded later, however. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly; fresh towels in large quantities were delivered daily, and there were always fresh towels by the pool. A lightbulb needed to be replaced in our room, and someone came within 30 minutes of our reporting the problem. My only complaint would be the slightly dark bedroom and noisy heating system. Also, the instructions on using the phone were incorrect. I had to go down to the front desk to find out how to call them. It was an excellent experience, however,and we'll be back.

• Liked — new carpet and furnishings, indoor pool, great staff
  • Disliked — slightly dark bedroom
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank leesvillelake
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed January 18, 2007

The Comfort Inn Oceanside is located right off 21st street in Virginia Beach. I stay at many Comfort Inn hotels and this has to be one of the best. All the rooms are suites and have a mini-kitchen (fridge, sink, microwave), living room area and bedroom. The living room had its own television and fold-out couch. The bedroom could be separated from the living room by a sliding door for privacy. Every room in this hotel also has a balcony with a beach view, which would be really nice in the summer. Since I was visiting in the off-season, there were few people in the hotel or on the beach (it was cold!), but I can imagine that the area hops when crowded. There is a small gym in the lobby which has various cardio and weight equipment. Unlike many Comforts where I have stayed, all the equipment was functioning and fairly new. A very small pool and Jacuzzi are also available for guests. Hotel staff were personable and helpful. The only negative that I have for this hotel was something completely beyond their control; I was occasionally awakened throughout the night by the sound of jets taking off or landing from the base nearby. Other than that, I would absolutely recommend staying at this Comfort Inn.

• Liked — Excellent Location, Right on the Beach
  • Disliked — Jet Noise
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
15 Thank H-B_Family
Washington, DC
Reviewed December 24, 2006

Booked the Comfort Inn& Suites with 5 girlfriends in July 2006 through studentadvantage.com's discount with ChoiceHotels. We were a group of college students looking for a good time at the beach on a reasonable budget, nothing lavish, nothing slummy. Felt every penny was worth the experience. Overall enjoyable stay to be repeated with my family in summer 2007. Here are the pros and cons as we saw them:

Cons (to get the negatives out of the way):
~Smelly elevator; seemed as if something had died in one elevator and left the odor lingering. Possibly a bird caught in the shaft; never found out. Took two days of repairs (as we saw the staff trying) to locate the source and remove it. Second elevator and stairs were fine in the mean time.

~Small pool in the front; we weren't too keen on swimming in the pool right at the front of the hotel near the street, nor on the small size, but it was clean and cool; great for kids as we saw a lot playing and decent deck chairs for sunning

~Key swipe problem; one room refused to key swipe, but we were able to eventually get a replacement. It wasn't a huge problem since our two rooms connected.

~Didn't see a tremendous amount of college students on the beach near us; mostly families

Pros:
~ Close to the beach; about a block and 1/2 away
~ Friendly staff (very attentive and polite as were were concerned they'd frown at college students)
~ Easy transaction process (the mandatory safe fee withheld in the beginning was returned at the end of our stay since we didn't use them; honored our reservation requests for floor and connecting rooms
~Permitted 18+yr-old check-in with major credit card
~Great complimentary breakfast!! Bacon, sausage, eggs, grits, fruit, etc. every morning; crowded at certain hours, but very accessable
~Comfortable rooms with clean bathrooms and ample amenities
~Inexpensive taxi service to local attractions and Greyhound station (we always called ahead and a taxi was ready in 15 minutes at the most. Went to the mystery dinner theater at the Doubletree Hotel which was fun; good for families)
~Very near to great shopping, restaurants, and clubs. We went to Peabody's which was a lot of fun, filled with college-age kids like ourselves

Wonderful time at Comfort Inn. I commend the hotel staff for their efforts! Hope this helps!

• Liked — Location, Price, Comfort, Complimentary Breakfast
  • Disliked — Small Pool
  • Tips/Secrets — Try to book through ChoiceHotels.com or using a Student Advantage card if you're a student for extra discounts
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends