“No Prior Warning”

Comfort Inn & Suites Oceanfront
Ranked #1 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 20, 2014

When we are planning a trip, we have a simple philosophy. Let us try to find a hotel that has an indoor pool, is not a dive and is as affordable as possible. Sometimes when you are travelling on short notice you can't always get what you want. You can try sometimes.

We thought we had with the Comfort Inn & Suites Oceanfront in Virginia Beach. We were travelling a day earlier than we had planned in order to avoid driving in the storms that were supposed to hit upstate New York and other areas along our proposed route.

When we arrived the people at the front desk were pleasant and helpful. This is not about staff at all. The first problem came when we got to the room. Granted it was a suite but as far as we were concerned it was set up backwards. The living room portion was near the balcony and near the open door to the balcony. So when we finally put head to pillow, we were unable to hear the sounds of the ocean, which is something we look forward to whenever we stay on the beach.

Secondly, it was supposed to be a Queen size bed. I dont know who did the measuring, but if this bed was much more than a full, I would be very surprised. We sleep in a Queen size bed every night and this one was no Queen.

The biggest issue came when we went to the pool for a swim. The water was freezing. Which probably was because the heating element for the pool; had been pulled out and was in the process of being replaced. Now since there was a big piece of equipment near the lobby but clearly visible to anyone with eyes, this is something that might have been mentioned when we checked in.

When we mentioned it, the young lady at the desk stated she didn't know when the pool would be reheated but would call us in the room when she had some idea. Now, since I noticed there was no heating element and knew for a fact that once they put it in, it was going to take at least a day minimum for it to heat, I was sure we weren't going to hear anything good. It still took almost two hours to hear from the front desk that it didnt look good for a swim.

Now like I mentioned the main reason we chose this hotel was because o the pool. We discussed it and decided not to attempt to find another hotel on the beach that had one. There was the usual apology and another staff member asked if there was anything they could do to make our stay better we should ask. We pointed out the pool problem.

We did receive a call from the hotel manager when we got home and we returned his call. When I gave him my name, he asked if this was about the pillows. I was pretty sure it wasn't. At least he could have left himself a note as to what the issue was when he called so he would have the right complaint with the right client.

Room Tip: If you want a pool make sure you ask in advance if it is going to be accessible. Even if it isn'...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank dave n

Reviewed March 17, 2014

My husband and I who already reside in Virginia just wanted a mini getaway for Valentine's day and I am glad we chose this location. The room was just as pictured and included all the adminities and comfort as we expected. We enjoyed a night out on the town as this location was close to many great eateries. The staff was friendly/helpful as they were able to answer all the questions we had.

I most likely will return this summer with the rest of the family :)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Was at this hotel for 4 days two weeks in a row. The staff was definitely the highlight for my visit here. Extremely courteous the entire stay always willing to help you in anyway possible. My battery died on the 5th floor of parking area and they drove their vehicles up within minutes to help me jump it. The hot tub was extremely clean the pool on our second visit was unfortunately under maintenance to fix the heater but we were still allowed to swim but in colder water. Still very enjoyable but the hours for pool are only 7am to 10pm wish it would go a little later. Breakfast came free and was quite phenomenal for a free hotel breakfast. The location is conveniently placed with plenty of shops and restaurants within walking distance. All in all was very pleased with the cleanliness and appearance but again the best in my opinion was the staff.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Nathanial W
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Nice quiet place to stay during an early spring vacation. Went to see Cape Henry Lighthouse and also, Va aquarium. Excellent View of the ocean. Took walk on Boardwalk. I would recommend this hotel. Only problem was that I was there during renovations.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank toddcassell
Reviewed March 5, 2014

My stay at this hotel was nice, rooms were clean, staff was absolutely wonderful. AND A FANTASTIC VIEW! Breakfast was a little below average. Not too many selections to choose from. I could have been that very few guests were in house, but they didn't have many hot items to choose from like other choice hotels. The couch in the living room and very uncomfortable to sit on, guessing because it's a pull out sofa. The heating unit was a wall unit, after the first night it became noisy but not to the point where I couldn't sleep. The bathroom had double shower head which was nice. Firm but not too firm beds made a comfortable nights sleep. Be careful pulling into the parking garage, its very steep. Overall this was a nice mini vacation I had glad your hotel could be apart and accommodate my needs

Room Tip: Only floor for smokers is the 10th, but for easy access to the parking garage try staying on the 3rd...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ShayBrown
Reviewed February 5, 2014

My wife and I have stayed here twice before, in the off season in Feb. and enjoyed it for it's location and cleanliness, but that was then and this is now. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to them, because it was off season, but shouldn't that be the time, you start cleaning up for the summer? This will sound racist and it's really not meant to be, but the hotel seems to be run by Indians (from India) and it has been our experience that they try to run a business as cheap as possible. In this case, it shows. They were friendly, but upon seeing the hotel, you could tell this was not the same place that we had visited in the past. The carpets were dirty and showed their age. The wall were painted in colors that might be popular over "there", but were dirty and only shouted out... PAINT ME!!!! The room had a combination of carpet and tile and even the tile seemed dirty. The one thing that hasn't changed is the location and view. The view outside our glass doors was great. We only stayed one night, but will never return.

Room Tip: Pick a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank albinoWestwood
Reviewed February 1, 2014

My favorite aspect of this hotel is the double room layout which make it a great place to take kids or for two couples to share. The opportunity for privacy is still available, and it almost has a condo feel. Couple this with the price and this hotel is unbeatable for value and amenities. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple