“Best hotel on boardwalk”

Comfort Inn & Suites Oceanfront
Ranked #2 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Luray, Virginia, United States
“Best hotel on boardwalk”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

VERY NICE HOTEL! Newly renovated, good rates with DOD discounts, all ammenities as others and parking for less money. Staff is great and helpful as well. I will stay here every time I come to VA beach.

Room Tip: 9th or 10th floor makes wonderful photography location of the ocean and sunrise =)
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank William S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I'm sorry, I hate to say it, but just DON'T do it. The sign in the elevator said the third floor was being renovated at the time we were there, and it's about time. I'm not even really picky, but the room needed a 100% overhaul. The worst thing about the stay, other than that the shabby room gave me the willies (it appears clean, it just doesn't feel that way) was the HVAC unit. It is not a regular hotel unit, it seems like a home unit on a small scale. It has it's own closet (locked) in the hallway. I'm used to using the fan in a hotel as background noise while I sleep. (I use a fan at home.) You cannot use this - it is sooo loud. And when it comes on after being off, it's so loud it wakes you up. I would have slept on the pull out sofa bed & cracked the balcony door so I could hear the ocean, but the sofa bed mattress was flat & very, very old. You could feel every spring. Not fit for use by my dog. Hotel wasn't busy during the trip & the breakfast area was totally inadequate. I cannot imagine being there in season - there's no way. So don't count on breakfast. (Not that I'm a big hotel breakfast fan.) It wouldn't be so bad if you could grab a yogurt & piece of fruit & take it with you, but a sign says 'VA Beach Health Dept prohibits food being removed from this area'. I don't buy that one bit, but I follow the rules, so, hey. Anyway. Staff was fine, housekeeping very nice. Hotel needs a complete makeover.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LikeItIs_12
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Friendly Staff at check-in. Clean rooms with great balcony view. Overall, a very comfortable trip.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Bcs6
Nederland, Texas
Reviewed January 11, 2012

My daughter and I arrived at this hotel at 9:30 AM. We had spent a sleepless night at a different hotel. We were greeted by Christy who proved to be our angel. After we regaled her with our experience she prompty gave us the keys to check out a room. We came back to the desk and told it was perfect. She even worked with us on the rate of the room since we had fled the other hotel without a reservation. We spent the next 4 nights in absolute comfort. This is a clean hotel with a great breakfast. All of the staff are friendly and helpful. We did not have a single problem, complaint or issue. I will stay here anytime I am in town. Thanks again to Christy for saving us!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank CindyP62
Virginia
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We had three rooms for New Years Eve. Four adults and give children. We wanted something that would overlook the boardwalk and the holiday lights at the beach. We had called just about every other hotel on the beach and everything was sold out. Just when we thought it was a lost cause, Christina at this hotel came to our rescue. Not only did she find us three available rooms, she arranged it so that the rooms would be right beside each other, two of them adjoining. It worked out so well -- the front bedroom on the oceanfront with the balcony and queen bed, the back bedroom with a queen bed. Both rooms have a flat screen television. There is a refrig and microwave in each room. The rooms and bathrooms were impeccably clean, lots of nice fresh towels, and we could not been more pleased. When we checked in, Christina greeted us, and remembered our conversation about booking us in the three rooms. She was so great -- friendly, personable and efficient. When we checked out the following day, she wanted to make sure that we enjoyed our stay and all was well. We wanted to split the billing between two credit cards, and that was not a problem, she made it happen. The small children enjoyed the nice pool, and although we did not get to take advantage of the complimentary breakfast, we did get coffee in that area, and the breakfast looked fantastic -- not your usual run-of-the-mill muffins and coffee. Waffles, pancakes, cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit, etc. This is an ideal location for families. We will return there for sure, there is every reason to do so! Say hello to Christina and the folks at this hotel, they are pretty special. Thanks everyone.

Room Tip: 6th floor, 608, 609 or 610!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Madgrandma57
Acushnet, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I'll start by saying this hotel was not my first choice. I chose it because it had a government discount of $89 per night, which is a great rate for an oceanfront suite. I stayed in October 2011 for a week long vacation. I stumbled on it, and am very happy I stayed here.

The staff was outstanding. Every time entering and leaving the hotel, we were greeted. Even walking by staff in hallways or being in the elevator with a staff member, we were asked how we were doing with a warm smile. Staff members also helped us with recommendations on where to eat and where to shop. (and I loved that they did not seem annoyed at all by our questions) Even the woman that helped me try to figure out my Choice hotels rewards number for a good 20 minutes when checking out actually seemed happy to be helping me.

The room was nice. We had a queen suite. There is a bedroom, a small hallway with a fridge/sink and the bathroom, then a living room. There were two flat screen TVs. The balcony was nice, although I wouldn't lean on the railing, not too secure. The WiFi worked efficiently. There were no annoying smells or noises in the room, except when the AC kicked on in the middle of the night, it was loud at times. We did not hear any noise from rooms around us. The bed was decently comfortable. The extra pillows are a must. There was always coffee/tea available near the front desk.

The complimentary breakfast was better than what I had expected. There were a few hot choices each day, numerous choices of baked goods, yogurt, fruit, boiled eggs, make your own waffles, etc... The staff kept the breakfast area clean and were there to help. There were also newspapers available, which I enjoyed. I also loved that I could enjoy my breakfast while looking at the ocean.

The only thing I did not like was the awkward location of the pool. I didn't swim in it, not because it didn't look nice, but because I felt like people in the pool were on display to everyone that walked by.

We requested a high floor and it was granted. Each day we were asked if we needed the room cleaned, and if we said no, we were asked if we needed anything else. The parking garage was fine for our car, and convenient, and felt secure. The hotel had a great location in the middle of the boardwalk. We walked to the end of the boardwalk in both directions from the hotel, and there are a lot of restaurants within walking distance. Overall, I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel. Although it is not upscale, it is great for the value. I am a picky person, and did not find a single thing I didn't like, except for the pool (which was minimal). The friendliness of the staff, the location on the oceanfront/boardwalk, and the hotel offering a government rate in October would definitely make me stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank amr2323
Upper Quinton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We had a group of 8 to see the holiday lights and Christmas Parade this past weekend. Room needed renovation, but very clean and comfortable. The staff however was extremely friendly and helpful from check in to check out. We watched the parade and they gave us hot choc.. The breakfast was great. Best Waffle I have ever had.
We wanted to watch Va. Tech Game together, They opend up the breakfast area and provided plates for our pizza.
My only other wish was the pool needed to be warmer. A litttle too cool to enjoy. We will be back . I can't wait to see the rooms once they are all redone!

Room Tip: All rooms are oceanfront, we choose the room with a living area and a sleeping area which was very c...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends