My family of 4 just recently stayed at the Econolodge (3) story hotel at Virginia Beach 25th and Atlantic. For the really cool news, this hotel is very family friendly and if you get a room *ocean front* you are getting a good deal for your money. The view from the 3rd floor was very nice and not only could you see the ocean but you could see the boardwalk and the bike path for hundreds of yards each way. The rooms were modest but to me not large enough for 4 people. The room we stayed in had two double beds and the bathroom was pretty small. Some room highlights I discovered were a nifty safe deposit box with a key. Careful! You will get charged $1 per day if you use it and $35 if you lose the key! I found it very useful , especially when you have camera equipment and wallets you need to lock up before you hit the beach. The rooms also had a very nice microwave/fridge/freezer and the TV had several channels with free HBO. (yippie)
Moving on to the outside stuff I liked. I liked the heated pool and I found it just right to jump in and jump out. The pool as well as the hotel grounds were very well taken care of. The pool has a lower deck and a upper level deck with nice lounge chairs. I also enjoyed the continental breakfast because you had a choice of milk, orange juice, danish items and 4-5 types of cereal. The last very cool thing were the free use of the bikes. I found it easy to check out 4 bikes and simply return them an hour later.
I found the staff incredibly polite and overall nice. I did not get that feeling that they were being nice because they had to but rather that they enjoyed their work and liked being around people.
The only negatives I found were that the housekeeping of our room was very late in the day. That can be a problem when you have been out to the beach for 2-4 hours and then you return hoping to find a clean room but instead you discover piles of the same trash waiting to be tossed out and no clean towels until later in the day 3PM! We had to force ourselves to do other things because we could not sit in our room when we really wanted to. Once the maid cleaned the rooms, they did a fabulous job but my complaint is that it was cleaned way too late.
Another bad point was the parking. Even though the parking is available for 1 car. You had better back in your car or it will be nearly impossible to back out. This is because the spaces are so close together and the lot itself is very small making it difficult to complete with large SUVs. Also keep in mind that some people don't park in the spots as market making it even harder to park your vehicle.
What I loved about this hotel is the location. I simply needed a place to rest my head and heat my food and then I was out for the day. The concerts on the beach were incredible plus the fact that the hotel is located just across the street from the shops was a plus.
I will wrap up this summary and say that if The Econolodge beefed up the housekeeping turnaround time and added more items to the breakfast menu such as toast, or boiled eggs ,I would be more happy and inclined to stay again. Keep in mind this hotel is only 3 floors but it has no elevator and that means climbing flights of stairs with *loaded suitcases* Not fun! Also since there is no elevator, that means no luggage cart. The positives outweighed the negatives for sure!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All of our rooms at the Econo Lodge on the Ocean are oceanfront with a private balcony or ground floor patio overlooking the beach and the boardwalk. You have a choice of two double beds or one king bed with sleeper sofa. Each is equipped with a microwave, refrigerator, in-room coffee maker, hairdryer, iron/board, and in-room safe. Hotel amenities include an outdoor heated swimming pool, free bicycles for our guests, and free high speed wireless internet access. A complimentary continental breakfast is served each morning from 7 to 10 AM. Our guest parking is on-site, 1 car per room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Choice Hotels, Travelocity, Cancelon, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your Econo Lodge on the Ocean reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Econo Lodge On The Ocean Hotel Virginia Beach
- Econolodge Virginia Beach
- Econo Lodge Virginia Beach
- Virginia Beach Econo Lodge