“Family friendly hotel”

Econo Lodge on the Ocean
Ranked #4 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed June 22, 2007

My family of 4 just recently stayed at the Econolodge (3) story hotel at Virginia Beach 25th and Atlantic. For the really cool news, this hotel is very family friendly and if you get a room *ocean front* you are getting a good deal for your money. The view from the 3rd floor was very nice and not only could you see the ocean but you could see the boardwalk and the bike path for hundreds of yards each way. The rooms were modest but to me not large enough for 4 people. The room we stayed in had two double beds and the bathroom was pretty small. Some room highlights I discovered were a nifty safe deposit box with a key. Careful! You will get charged $1 per day if you use it and $35 if you lose the key! I found it very useful , especially when you have camera equipment and wallets you need to lock up before you hit the beach. The rooms also had a very nice microwave/fridge/freezer and the TV had several channels with free HBO. (yippie)

Moving on to the outside stuff I liked. I liked the heated pool and I found it just right to jump in and jump out. The pool as well as the hotel grounds were very well taken care of. The pool has a lower deck and a upper level deck with nice lounge chairs. I also enjoyed the continental breakfast because you had a choice of milk, orange juice, danish items and 4-5 types of cereal. The last very cool thing were the free use of the bikes. I found it easy to check out 4 bikes and simply return them an hour later.
I found the staff incredibly polite and overall nice. I did not get that feeling that they were being nice because they had to but rather that they enjoyed their work and liked being around people.
The only negatives I found were that the housekeeping of our room was very late in the day. That can be a problem when you have been out to the beach for 2-4 hours and then you return hoping to find a clean room but instead you discover piles of the same trash waiting to be tossed out and no clean towels until later in the day 3PM! We had to force ourselves to do other things because we could not sit in our room when we really wanted to. Once the maid cleaned the rooms, they did a fabulous job but my complaint is that it was cleaned way too late.

Another bad point was the parking. Even though the parking is available for 1 car. You had better back in your car or it will be nearly impossible to back out. This is because the spaces are so close together and the lot itself is very small making it difficult to complete with large SUVs. Also keep in mind that some people don't park in the spots as market making it even harder to park your vehicle.

What I loved about this hotel is the location. I simply needed a place to rest my head and heat my food and then I was out for the day. The concerts on the beach were incredible plus the fact that the hotel is located just across the street from the shops was a plus.

I will wrap up this summary and say that if The Econolodge beefed up the housekeeping turnaround time and added more items to the breakfast menu such as toast, or boiled eggs ,I would be more happy and inclined to stay again. Keep in mind this hotel is only 3 floors but it has no elevator and that means climbing flights of stairs with *loaded suitcases* Not fun! Also since there is no elevator, that means no luggage cart. The positives outweighed the negatives for sure!

RF
Indiana

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank fogrock

Reviewed May 8, 2007

Wow!!! After reading thru many reviews at many properties, I was on the verge of going someplace other than Virgnia Beach. Thank goodness I kept reading until I stumbled upon the Econo Lodge on the Ocean. Why???? Let me tell you....

1. Rated very highly with trip advisor users
2. Rated very well in my AAA guide book
3. Now I am rating this property very highly
4. Mini fridge, microwave, & coffee maker
5. Complimentary bikes for guests to use
6. Friendly & helpful staff
7. Unlike other hotel's reviews, no bugs & no roaches!!!

It's amazing at some of the reviews you read & how out of touch some people are. How in the world are you going to compare an Econo Lodge (no offense) to a Hilton or Marriott? Is it that important to have high speed internet access while you're ON VACATION??? God forbid you use dial up, how spoiled are we?!

We had a nice, clean room on the ground floor w/ a small patio & 2 chairs & had an excellent view of the boardwalk & beach.

The staff was very friendly. In fact, when I was checking in & needed my tag number off my car, an employee volunteered to go out & get the number for me (what a terrific 1st impression!!!).

House keeping did an excellent job with our room & they even took the time to read our do not disturb sign. Granted, you're not going to find any gyms, fancy restuarants, bar/clubs, or anything like that at the Econo Lodge but do you plan to just stay there & not go out & explore???

If you want a "resort", then book one. If you want a nice clean room to sleep & call "home base", then this is the place. There are plenty of places within walking distance to grab food. The room did have a mini fridge & microwave so if you have left overs, you have some place to put them when you get back.

I would definately stay here again & will recommend it to anyone who's not looking for a "resort" to stay at.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KIMandMICHAEL
Reviewed April 29, 2007

Checked reviews and the Econolodge seemed to be the best deal so we booked for this past weekend. We weren't disappointed - it's very clean, right on the beach, and the hotel staff is very helpful and accomodating. It's down at the quieter end of the strip, across the street from a convenience store, and only a couple of blocks away from an Irish pub.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2006

We stayed at the Econo Lodge the last week of September, we liked the fact that you could get directly in your room without having to go inside and use an elevator. We also loved the location, right on the boardwalk in the middle of everything. The week we were there they had the Neptune Festival on the weekend. We saw the fireworks right from our balcony and the parade from the sun deck overlooking the pool. The price was very reasonable, I was surprised by how nice the room was. The bed was very comfortable. There was always hot water and the pressure in our room was great. We would definately stay there again.

4  Thank shellval
Reviewed September 26, 2006

My Husband and I stayed here for one night the day after Labor Day, September 5th, for $113.82.

Our 1st trip to Virginia Beach. We were passing through on a road trip heading South down the coast. Since we were there in the off-season there wasn't much going on in the way of concerts and stuff on the 3-mile boardwalk. I was impressed by the beach and the boardwalk itself though. Very pretty and clean. The boardwalk is very wide for lots of people to walk, rollerblade, bike, jog etc. And it's lined with street lamps for nice evening strolls.

We stopped at Myrtle Beach, SC on our road trip too and Virginia Beach is much nicer, less dumpy, more upscale looking. (However, beyond the beachfront of Atlantic Ave, Pacific Ave behind the hotels looks just as dumpy as Myrtle Beach area.)

As for ECONO LODGE it was ok. Be warned there is no elevator so pack light! The parking lot is small but in the off season there weren't many cars anyway. They do have bikes for guests to ride which is nice. There is a pool but it's in the parking lot so not that appealing.

The room was clean. Bed and sheets ok. Water pressure in the shower was so-so. The couch in the room looked nice but terrible to sit on. Felt like a $5 couch made of styrofoam. The ocean view and balcony are of course the best feature. We watched dolphins play in the water from our balcony! That was really cool.

There were free continental breakfast items on the counter in the little lobby and that was so-so. Other hotels host better ones (Hampton Inn has a great one). Econo breakfast was enough to get you going. Be prepared to bring it back to your room and eat it on your balcony b/c there are no breakfast tables in the lobby.

We could walk to many places to eat. Our fav was Pi-zzeria - great brick-oven pizza and a cool atmosphere. Be warned the Oceana naval base is nearby and you'll hear loud aircraft flying overhead from 8:30am-9:30pm. But that will probably be the same at any hotel on Atlantic Ave.

4  Thank OneWorldWideTraveler
Reviewed September 18, 2006

this is not a fancy hotel. the building is old and seems small compared with many of the high-rises in the area. but it is very clean and well maintained.

the staff was friendly, informative and very helpful with directions and recommendations for food and activities.

the hotel had been hit by Tropical Storm Ernesto the day before we arrived and they were stil cleaning up. the staff did a great job of storm recovery.

nice little feature of this property is free bike rental. when they are busy, it's limited to an hour at the time, but if they're not that busy, the staff was very accomodating in allowing extra time out on the bikes. the beach cruisers, like the property itself, were in great shape and well maintained.

4  Thank jwd1113
Reviewed September 4, 2006

The hotel was the perfect place to stay for the 2006 Rock and Roll Half Marathon. While by no means luxurious, the hotel was clean (especially given that it's literally ON the beach), quiet, and within walking distance of most of the free concerts and importantly the shuttle that took runners to the start of the race. The staff were extremely friendly before our stay (hotel was sold out of non-smoking rooms and as soon as one became available, the hotel called us to let us know they could give us a smoke-free room). We even enjoyed our ground floor room which gave us beach/boardwalk access from our patio. The restaurants are a little more scarce in this area (and nicer ones ALL required reservations) but we welcomed the reprieve from crowds in the more touristy area.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple