“Clean, safe, and overlooking the ocean!”

Econo Lodge on the Ocean
Ranked #2 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for a couple of nights and I was pleasantly surprised. The room was clean and had what we needed: the coffee maker, the hair dryer, etc. Importantly there was no smell of moldiness and humidity that you get in other hotels by the beach All the rooms have a view on the ocean. It was great to be able to sip coffee on the balcony and watch dolphins! The hotel was not cheap, well over $200 a night in a weekend but I was very satisfied.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Yolande M

Reviewed September 2, 2012

After reading all of the positive reviews, I was a bit of a skeptic. This hotel has been here since I was stationed at NAS Oceana in 1981, and even then it was one of the older and smaller ones. But it is maintained WAY above average! Fresh paint, carpet, flat screen tv's... etc.

What a GEM!! The service here is absolutely the BEST on the beach. And I can qualify that statement because I have stayed at every one of them except the Hilton.

The rooms and grounds are maintained exceptionally well.
The beds are comfy and clean. And I am a clean freak!

Keep in mind that this is the 'Econo-Lodge on the Ocean'. There are two.
The pool is heated and very clean. A bit small, but the ocean is right out front!

The breakfast is basic. Danish, muffins, bagels, oatmeal, cereal, fruit, OJ, milk, and FANTASTIC coffee. But I personally dont select a hotel based on breakfast.

There are just 3 levels, no elevator, but even though I am mobility impaired that wouldn't be a problem.

This is also the ONLY hotel on the oceanfront that has the courtesy to actually reserve handicap parking spots, and the staff will assist in parking if necessary as they are a bit narrow.

I just love this little hotel and we will definately be back.

Room Tip: They are all good! The ground level rooms enter right out to the boardwalk!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank OhYew812
Reviewed August 30, 2012

The first week of August I brought my stepdaughter and her best friend for a couple of days at the beach. I called last minute for the room and was told they could only book us for two nights, not three. I understood the situation and decided I'd try and find another place for the third night. The Staff at Econo new my situation and were very proactive in arranging a room for me the third night. We had to move rooms, but I was very grateful not to have to change hotels! The staff helped us move our things when it came time to change. The hotel is a little older but kept very nice. Everything was clean and nice and the staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. We liked having the bikes available also. I definitely recommend this place in the sun!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BLouise59
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed here twice this spring (end of May, End of June) and will go back again. The staff is so friendly and helpful you will not notice the hotel is not the newest or biggest on the beach. This is our choice for a clean and convenient hotel, nice pool and free bike rentals are a plus.

Room Tip: upper floors have better ocean view
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights. Breakfast is spartan, but coffee is plentiful. Everyone was always happy and helpful. Rooms were clean. Nice to have the balcony right on the boardwalk. Good location. This was our 3rd year here and we'll be back. The parking attendants deserve kudos.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We have been coming here for 15 years if this tells you anything! Best kept secret on the beach. Easy access to beach,grocery store and restaurants all in walking distance! We make this our family reunion location!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank CRLaNEVE
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Our family of 4 stayed here for 5 nights in July. It was a basic, 2 double bed and small bathroom unit. The balcony is lovely and overlooks the beach and ocean- great spot to enjoy a beer after a day of surfing! The continental breakfast is basic- bagels, juice, coffee or cereal but helpful with kids. You take it away on a tray to one of the patio sets or your room. The pool is small and basic and slightly claustrophobic. The larger in room fridge is great and EMPTY when you arrive so we stored some basics- juice/beer/peanut butter/snacks. My biggest complaint would be the lack of drying space- lots of wet swimsuits/towels/etc and no space to hang it except over the balcony and it often blew away! Easy access to the beach, nice to have free bicycles included. We enjoyed it without complaints but it is NOTHING FANCY.

Room Tip: no elevator- rooms on the main floor easier to get to but nicer balcony on second floor
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family