“Great views, needs updating”

Holiday Inn Va Beach-Oceanside (21st St)
Ranked #27 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 29, 2009

As stated elsewhere, the hotel has been around awhile and needs updating, but is better than we expected and sufficient in every way.

Every room has an ocean view. The balconies are fun to sit out on and people watch, or to see the ships going by.

The parking is 1 block west of the hotel which is a bit inconvenient due to the one way streets, but a plus is that the hotel is right on the ocean, and Atlantic ave is a major tourist area with lots of night life.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed September 26, 2009

We stayed at this Holiday Inn 4 years ago (in the same room!). The furnishings were the same. The rooms are worn and need updating but were basically clean. The beds/pillows were clean and very comfortable. Balconies overlook the oceanfront walkway and the ocean. Landscaping on the ocean side was beautiful. Great view! Air conditioner was effective though noisy. We would have preferred tp listen to the ocean but there is no screen on the balcony door. There was a large "party" crowd staying at the hotel, but the room was amazing quiet. The staff was friendly and helpful. The location is great. It's near a couple of parks where numerous events are held. There are a lot of good places to eat and shop nearby.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2009

Good hotel for kids because it was so close to everything. Two mini golf places only 3 blocks away and arcade too. walk right out to board walk and beach. great location. we will stay here again next summer. my kids ages 7 and 4 loved it. good for couples too. very romanic with sunset and sunrise. quiet and fun place at the same time. great seafood at king of the sea. buffet for adults 26 and kids half price. they lost out on us. we were stuffed. overall a great time.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Reserved a non-smoking room, told upon arrival only smoking rooms available. Not having any options ..stayed in a room that stunk of cigarettes.What a way to start a vacation when $200 a night was spent on a smelly room that was unbearable.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank beeneverywhereB4
Reviewed August 12, 2009

We came to the hotel, my wife and I, after a 16 hour car trip from Canada last july 29th. Room was moderately large (king side bed) and clean and clerk attendants were nice, friendly and very professionnal for the first 4 days of our trip which was to last for 3 more days.

However, sunday morning August 2nd, horror struck me as i popped a cervical vertebra and 2 disks and fell paralysed almost completely from the right side. My wife (who does not speak English) got herself stranded for God knows how long with a husband had been taken to hospital, underwent a major spine repair surgery and who is now in rehab for still an undefinite period of time.

THEN, the staff at the Holiday Inn really went ways beyond any expectation of service to help my wife out. Despite the language barreer, Kelly (BALDO) and some of her teammates, conforted my wife, made special arrangements to accomodate her, served as contacts to accomodate my daughter and sisters called in for help, and made more arrangements and shuffles to help everything out eversince. Kelly (which I did not know before all this), even paid me a visit to the rehab center with her 4 daughters yesterday to see how things were getting along. Needless to say, this hearthwarming attitude is doing wonders to help me get through rehab and back to my homeland (soon I hope).

I cannot recommend enough the quality of service at the Holiday Inn 21st and I pledge to make it my hotel chain of preference from now on.

Hats off to the administration to keep this level of quality going.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2009

What a dump! Words are not enough. I am an avid trip advisor reader. This hotel was ranked 8 out of 100 or so hotels in the VA. Beach area and for the life of me I cannot imagine why. Yes it is in the middle of everything....That is everything that is seedy and run down. There are 4 "clubs" in front of the hotel and the parking is a joke. There are 70 or so spaces for a hotel with 150 rooms. When we entered the lobby, I immediately knew this was a mistake. The lobby smells like chlorine and mold. The indoor pool is directly by the elevators and there are always puddles of water. Once you enter the elevators, you are greeted by the smell of wet carpet, and the only view is of stained carpet and handprints. When you finally get to the floor were your room is located, you are then greeted by extreme heat and the smell of feet. Shall I continue. You get to the room, open the door and you find used wet towels hanging in the bathroom, mold on the shower curtian, stains on the sheets, red stains on the ceiling, yes the ceiling and DIRT EVERYWHERE. The ice machine on the 5ht floor is broken and the other ones were so dirty we were afraid to get ice. We usually stay at hotels down by the Hitlon. I love the quiet side of Atlantic Ave., however they were all booked. I thought, how bad can it be. I will never take that chance again. The next time, I will stay home before I stay here. We tried to leave but were told we would be penalize, so I am sleeping in my clothes. I brought some new towels and laid them out and keep my luggage on top of the extra bed..........You expect more for over 200.00 per night. One good thing, the ladies at the front desk were very friendly. Always smiling. We stayed out all day long and I cannot wait to get home........If you care anything about relaxation and cleanliness, then don't stay here. THIS PLACE IS AN ABSOLUTE DUMP!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank tee67
Reviewed August 2, 2009

If you have allergies, the Holiday Inn Oceanside, is not the place to stay either. Yes, it is in a prime location being beach side and for restaurants but...

If there is no parking in front of the hotel you must park a block away.

Lack of air conditioning at elevators, on 5th floor hallway, there is cleanliness in lobby but not in the rooms, hallways or elevators, extremely slow elevators. No queen beds which makes it uncomfortable for 2 adults and 2 teens.

Coming back to cleanliness: for the price we are paying to stay in these hotel rooms cleanliness should be high - not at this hotel either. Expect a dust-covered room; lampshades, bedboards, picture frames and I don't mean a little dust. I needed to plug in my CPAP machine and was disgusted at the quantity of dust behind the night table and the dressers - you know, the type that you need a spatula to remove. Bring your Windex as they too do not do windows.

Hotel bar: do not order anything else but beer and sodas. I'm pretty sure the bartender does not have a license and if shedid.. she should go back to bartending school. The drinks are made from pre-mixes you buy in grocery stores - save your money.

Hotel restaurant: Ugh! My daughter was served chicken wings on over-heated or recycled bed of lettuce - she did not eat from her plate. Lack of staff in the kitchen and the food was lower than mediocre. We did not go there again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family