“Absolutely Fabulous”

Holiday Inn Va Beach-Oceanside (21st St)
Ranked #27 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 3, 2009

We had to switch from the Sunspree to the Oceanside as we wanted to stay an additional night and there was no availability at the Sunspree. After a horrible stay at the Sunspree is was absolutely refreshing to get what you expect from the Holiday Inn franchise!!! Immaculately clean and updated rooms! Excellent service always with a smile! We only stayed one night and will defintitely stay again on our next trip to Virginia Beach! The pub style restaurant was a plus as well! Sit and eat outside, what a beautiful view!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank zoeysky
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Va Beach-Oceanside (21st St)

Reviewed June 25, 2009

This was my first time traveling to Virginia Beach and would definitely return! The Holiday Inn Oceanside staff is excellent. I missed my connection (Houston to Richmond) and arrived in Virginia at 11:30 PM. I really didn't want to drive 1 1/2 hours in the middle of the night. I called the front desk and explained the situation- they were able to cancel the first night of my stay without a penalty charge. Upon arrival, the staff was very friendly and accommodating. The room was simple and comfortable- it did have an amazing view of the ocean! Sitting in the balcony enjoying the ocean breeze and sweet tea was very relaxing. I ate at the restaurant and although the staff great, the food was not! At the beach, the city rents sunshade for $12 and lounging chairs $12 for the whole day- I took advantage of the offerings since I didn't travel with any beach gear.
I also enjoyed the board walk it was runner friendly and I felt safe walking by myself at night. I didn't like the fitness room- let's call it a fitness closet! It had only a couple of aerobic machines and no weight training equipment. Overall I would definitely go back to the Holiday Inn Oceanside and hope you will too.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank bajanative
Reviewed June 15, 2009

This is not a large hotel which was fine with me. All rooms have an oceanview with balcony which was really nice for waking to the sound of the waves. Our room was clean and well decorated. Beds were new, and very comfortable. The only drawback was that the shower curtain had mildew even though it was new. They should change them after each check out ....and the mirror in the room is hung on the wrong side of the tv hutch...the hutch blocks the natural sunlight. but we made it work. Nice pool. Not enough parking though. We had no problems but towing is big there. Be careful if you have to park off any of their parking lots. Housekeeping staff was polite and gave us ample towels on request. Front desk staff are very informative. Must eat at Watermans located at 5th and Atlantic just a trolley or bus ride away. $1.50 one way or $2.00 all day to ride. Didnt enjoy the strip at night...too many young loud locals...best to find entertainment elsewhere. Can only speak for my time there. Other than that I enjoyed my trip. Would definately return to the holiday inn but plan alternate entertainment.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank keepitreal01
Reviewed May 31, 2009

Stayed at the HI over the Mem day holiday. It was very busy but we checked in early and had no issue parking early before check in. Hotel room was very clean, wife is pretty particular about that. The Lattitudes restaraunt was also a nice suprise with $2 drafts and excellent apps. Only issue we had was our room key did not work late in the PM of our last day so we had to get it reactivated, but no big deal.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank trsfla
Reviewed May 24, 2009

The hotel itself is pretty basic. Room was adequately clean, but the coffee cups in the room were dirty (had dried coffee in them). I don't use ANY glasses in a motel room, but I happened to notice this. The room itself is pretty dated-no flat screen tv and carpets & walls showing some wear. The linens were very clean, but I couldn't help but notice large stains on the mattress where the sheets didn't cover. The food in the restaurant downstairs was decent, not superb, just decent. The waiter was a little inexperienced but okay, the bartender was very good-great attitude & customer service. As a matter of fact, all the staff that we came in contact with had that same great attitude and were very friendly. In my opinion, that's the best thing this hotel has going for it. The parking issue is definitely a real pain, (as mentioned by other reviewers); we had to park a block away. A previous reviewer also mentioned a lazy river pool. I think they must have actually stayed at the "Sunspree", not "Oceanside", as there was no lazy river pool at this hotel. The pool was good-sized and seemed pretty clean as well. The one thing I did not care for, and this is no reflection on the hotel at all, is the location in the middle of all the action. If you expect some peace and quiet at some point during the night, this is not the place for it. People are partying, yelling, and running up and down the boardwalk all night long in this section of the beach. We like to turn the AC off, leave the door open at night, and wake up to the sound of the waves. Not possible in this area if you expect to sleep at all. If action is what you want, this is the place to be. As for us, I think we'll be looking for a hotel at the far north end for our next stay.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DogmomVA
Reviewed March 11, 2009

Wonderful staff, friendly service, very helpful, great views, had a great time at the bar. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 3, 2008

I was reading some of the other reviews about the restaurant and I couldn't believe what I saw. Lattitudes Attitudes Bar & Grill is no doubt the nicest hotel restaurant in Virginia Beach and most definitely the nicest Holiday Inn restaurant I have ever been to. It starts with the atmosphere when you walk in the door. Over their bar you have half a fishing boat mounted to the wall with Ernest Hemingway catching a big fish above the other side of the restaurant which I found really neat. The way the booths are setup is also really nice and the view on the patio is killer. The food there is EXTREMELY good! For breakfast, definitely order their own breakfast burrito creation, the Manrito, and for lunch I would recommend the tuna wrap, which is my personal favorite! The staff there is really friendly especially the Food & Beverage Director Jason, who made sure my stay was the best possible!!! If you stay at Oceanside and eat at their restaurant make sure to ask for Jason, he will take great care of you! As far as the rest of the hotel, Holiday Inn Oceanside is a very nice Holiday Inn and everything was very clean from the pool to the lobby to the rooms. I would recommend this hotel to ANYONE and EVERYONE!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank morrisar