“Loved the hotel, not so much the breakfast”

Holiday Inn Oceanside Virginia Beach
Ranked #23 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Stoughton, Massachusetts
“Loved the hotel, not so much the breakfast”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Had a lovely one day stay at the end of April. Basically just a stop over from Disney back to Boston. The location is prime and views from the room are amazing(we stayed on the 6th floor). There seemed to be some sort of training, maybe armed forces as we saw and heard loud aircraft, definitely not passenger jets, flying over the hotel. The noise was not enough to ruin our stay though. The breakfast was a strange situation, we didn't want to do the buffet but instead ordered from the menu. The waitress proceed to grab food from the buffett, so my son's fresh fruit was a banana...My husband had to ask if they had any cantaloupe or watermelon, at that point the waitress did go back into the kitchen and bring a bowl of fruit. The other food we had was fine, took a while to get and it was very plain but edible. We are definitely planning on returning hopefully next summer, just going to find other places to eat.

Room Tip: I am not afraid of heights but I probably wouldn't stay higher than the 6th or 7th floor, especi...
Green Features: We only stayed one night but they did have information about their environmental practices readily available.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oceanside Virginia Beach, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Thank you for the great feedback good and an area we can improve on. Your comments will be shared with the team in order to improve service and quality provided for every guest staying with us. Hope to see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Pemberton, New Jersey
Reviewed May 12, 2014

The rooms were really nice and the free breakfast had a lot of options. It is a good hotel and all of the rooms are oceanfront. The balconies also have privacy walls, so it is a nice place to just sit out and read a book for a while. One thing that was not great, is that they do not cool any of the halls and the pool does not appear very clean or well maintained.

Green Features: The lack of air conditioning in halls can be very unpleasant, especially when you may have to wait 10 minutes for an elevator. If you just got dressed up for a nice dinner the heat and humidity in the halls can really wilt you fast.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank RMS301
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oceanside Virginia Beach, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Thank you for overall the nice comments about the hotel. The AC in the halls are on 75 degrees in order for guests in swimsuits not to freeze but we will relook at that issue and change the temp if needed. Thanks for the feedback and hope to see you soon.
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I have to say, I do not have a lot of luck with oceanfront hotels in VA Beach. They are overpriced, run down and the customer service is greatly lacking. I've stayed at the best hotels VA Beach has to offer always looking for just the right experience and have never been satisfied UNTIL THIS WEEKEND AT HOLIDAY INN OCEANSIDE!! I called in adavance hoping to get early check in and was greated with the upmost positive efforts. They had my name on a list and were able to check me in as early as 10:00 a.m. I went to my room and was greeted by the lovliest older lady who asked "how you doing today honey?...you need anything at all you just let me know" She was so sweet and engaging. My room was GREAT. It was clean and the fact that all the rooms in this hotel are oceanfront, i didn't have to worry about getting the "city view" or what I like to call the "&hity view" and the bartender in the lounge made me the BEST bloody mary I've ever had while juggling cashier and table waiting duties. I was very pleased with the customer service of this hotel. I paid more than I usually perfer but it was worth every penny!! It's right in the middle of the boardwalk and central to everything and basically you drive in from 264 and right into their parking lot. I'm definately going back. The only complaint - if any- was the buffet breakfast. The food was really not very good but that's ok. I could stand to skip a meal now and again :)

Room Tip: You might want to ask for a higher room because the noise from the boardwalk can be a little loud la...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oceanside Virginia Beach, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you for the great feedback about the staff and hotel. We are very excited that you really enjoyed your stay here at the Oceanside Holiday Inn. We work very hard on improving our service and the quality provided for every guest to enjoy and relax. We are probably the easiest hotel to find since we are located at the end of 265 east bound and in the middle of the action. So whether you feel like relaxing or enjoying the action we have it all in one stop. Hope to see you soon.
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I have stayed in a lot of hotels that don't match up to this one this one they are super nice and friendly and the room are clean and the service is wonderful if I had to make a choice this would definitely be number 1

• Stayed May 2014
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oceanside Virginia Beach, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thanks for the great comments about the hotel and staff. The next time you are around the area please look up our packages since they include breakfast and fun things to do around the hotel as part of the guest room rate. Hope to see you soon.
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I booked a reservation for the Holiday Inn Oceanide on 21st Street/2101 Atlantic Avenue several months ago. I booked a room for 2 nights - 5/3 & 5/4. My daughter had a cheerleading competition at the convention center and all the hotels were almost impossible to get into! I was relieved to finally find a place that had a room for my husband, daughter and I. On 5/2 I called to find out when check-in was (4pm). I let them know that we were driving from PA, so it would probably be 5-6pm until we arrived. I was told that this was no problem and they would have a room ready for our arrival. Well, when we arrived at 5:45pm, we were told that our room had been given away. Sorry. I asked the girl at the desk where we were to go because we had driven 6 hours and now have no room. She said that the owner/manager made arrangements for us at the 39th Street Holiday Inn -- 18 blocks away! She assured us that we would be given a special room for our trouble... a suite. When we arrived at the 39th Street Holiday Inn, we were put in a 2 queen bed room. No Suite. Our stay ended up being fine and the 39th Street Holiday Inn was very nice. However, it was considerably further from the Convention Center - and it was an inconvenience since our friends and team mates were staying at the original location we booked. I'm not sure if this is typical for this hotel, but in my opinion, it's bad business. If the other Holiday Inn had not had a room for us, I guess we would have just been out of luck. So, beware! If you book with this hotel, even if you call to confirm your reservation the night before, they still may give your room away before you arrive!

Room Tip: Book your room and then hope and pray they don't give your room away!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Kendall B
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oceanside Virginia Beach, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you for the feedback about your reservation issues at the Oceanside Holiday Inn. We will look into what happened but no matter what the problem was we are very sorry for the way it affected your family. I can be reached at the hotel if you would like to give me a call to discuss. Thank you again,
Altoona, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Last year we stayed at another local hotel but were disappointed in "quality vs price". This year we stayed here and were very pleased with everything. Very friendly staff, nice breakfast buffet, clean room, clean lobby, easy access to beach and overall, very nice stay. Pauly was an excellent host at the restaurant/bar. Although they "closed" at 9PM Saturday night, he was still serving with a smile and helping out a nice number of our group after closing hour had come and long gone. After last year's cold and wind, the sun and warmth was the exclamation point on a very nice weekend. Thank you!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the great comments about the hotel and most of all members of the staff. We pride ourselves on always trying to improve service and quality whenever possible. Hope to see you soon.
Potomac, MD
Reviewed May 1, 2014

From the minute I walked to the front desk my stay was perfect. Weather was terrible - big rain storm but the hotel and staff were so cheerful I forgot about my terrible 4 hour drive.Onur Guduk, Front Desk Manager was wonderful Workmen were in the hotel painting, new carpeting etc and it was perfect before. It was very obvious to me that they cared about their guests and wanted their stay to be excellent.

My room was on the 12th floor. All rooms are oceanfront. The walkway to the rooms is all glass so you can see Atlantic Avenue and it is bright. Rooms were very clean, refrig, microwave, coffee, everything you need including free wi-fi.

Breakfast was great, I had the buffet. I go to VA Beach for business about 3-4 times a year: This will be my "go to" hotel!!

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
Green Features: They have recycling on the rooms. Good lighting in the rooms even though they are energy efficient bulbs. Very energy conscious.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oceanside Virginia Beach, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Thank you for the kind comments about the staff and hotel. I will pass your comments on to Onur and everyone else at our daily staff pre shift meetings. We have enjoyed having and serving you. We are also very proud of being your "To Go" hotel on the beachfront.