“Great winter weekend”

Holiday Inn Va Beach-Oceanside (21st St)
Ranked #26 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I can not say enough good about the employees. I had minor surgery but needed to check back with the doctor the next morning. We live about 1 1/2 hours away so we decided to find a hotel close to Sentura Va. Bch and this was the one. Not only was it clean, comfortable but waking up to ocean view was uplifting after surgery. My tummy was a bit upset in the morning and the front desk operator on duty was so kind hearing my husband explain that I could not make it down for breakfast, he quickly went and got a warm toasted bagle with knife and cream cheese and gave it to my husband on the house! You do not find service like that everyday, but it seemed routine with the staff. EXCELLENT all around.

Room Tip: They are ALL ocean front so you can't go wrong!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Va Beach-Oceanside (21st St), responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Hope you are feeling better and we are excited that you picked us to relax and recuperate with. Hope to see you soon and again thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We are locals and sometimes stay at oceanfront during winter to have a break from the house, work, etc. First time staying at this hotel but highly recommended, the room was great, the front desk help was outstanding. They really treated us well. When compared with other hotels in ocean front, we can say that our experience was much more rewarding.

• Stayed: January 2014

Thanks for the great comments and we all need a break from time to time. We have established special rates for our local guests so next time just ask for them. Also, in many cases they include breakfast for the family. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Let me start off by saying I stayed at the Holiday Inn off season (Jan 2014) so I got a great rate and I do not know what their normal rate is during peak summertime so that would have to be taken into consideration.

With that being said I found the hotel to be very nice to stay at and would be a good place to stay even at much higher rate.

I liked the location of the hotel. Its on 21st street which seems to be in the middle of the boardwalk and is surrounded by shops, places to eat and bars/clubs. Each room has an ocean view with a balcony.
It looks like the hotel has been recently renovated and if it hadn't they keep it in very good condition. In my room none of the furniture was marked up, carpet seemed to be clean, the bathroom was very clean. There was no signs of mold or dirt around the tub or sink, the tile they used was very nice. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and I slept great. I stayed on the second floor and I still had a good view from the balcony. The only draw back of the room was I was above the indoor pool and at times you could hear the kids screaming and playing in the pool.

I only found two issues with the hotel. The first one is parking. The lot at the hotel is very small and I guess they have additional parking offsite. Thankfully I was able to get a spot onsite and didn't have to use my car to go anywhere.
The second issue was with the restaurant. If you eat at the hotel make sure you are a seafood fan. Most of their menu is seafood. If you are not a fan of seafood then you are limited to basically a steak, ribs or a chicken sandwich or wrap. I will say I found their artichoke and spinach dip with pita chips very good.

In my opinion the hotel is in a very good location with nice comfortable clean rooms with nice ocean view - so what more could you ask for. When I go back to Virginia Beach I definitely will consider this hotel first for my stay.

Room Tip: Request something other than the second floor so you don't hear the kids in the pool on the firs...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank pktoi231

Thank you for the detailed account of your last visit to the Oceanside Holiday Inn. The feedback you have provided will assist with the development of our next set of restaurant menus. Parking will still be free this year alike most of the oceanfront hotels. We have located another parking lot for our employees so that more guests can find parking easier at the hotel. Again thank you for staying with us and sharing your information.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

Our room was clean, the view from our balcony was nice, and the staff were friendly. And of course this is an oceanfront hotel so the location was very convenient. We could walk out of the hotel and right onto the beach. We did notice a bit of dust on a couple of things … like the hairdryer….but it wasn’t a huge deal and everything else (linens, towels, bathroom, etc. etc.) was very clean and we both felt very comfortable in the room. It’s not a luxurious hotel, but it gets the job done.

I would stay here again, but it wouldn’t be my first choice.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Va Beach-Oceanside (21st St), responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Thank you for your honest feedback about the hotel and staff. You are correct in saying we are not a 5 star Hotel but what we work for is to be the best in service, value and quality on the beachfront. We have a newly renovated hotel centrally located on the beach with every room facing the oceanfront, upgraded free WiFi throughout the hotel and offering the best service on the beachfront. Check out anyone of the 18 packages we offer as a value added addition to your guest room and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

The surprise comes from how much my preconceived notion from when I was a kid differs to what we walked into. Arriving a few days before Christmas, most of the area was shut down for the season. The Holiday Inn is located at the very end of the highway, literally, so it was easy to find. The front desk and entrance were welcoming, and each area we were in was very clean and neat. We were offered a choice of floor, so we chose the 10th. The view from this balcony was amazing! If you get the chance to see the sunrise on the beach, do it! Absolutely breathtaking! Our room was very clean, as was the bathroom. Our son came with us, and slept on the fold out couch. I think the only negative about our stay was the mattress. My back absolutely took a beating from the bed. I blame this on the fact that we use a Sleep number bed at home, so not really their fault. My husband slept like a log! We were able to see the holiday lights on the boardwalk from our balcony, and actually got some beach time at the end of December! The staff at this location should get a special shout out. Onur and Lenita were extremely pleasant and helpful. They genuinely care about their guests, which is a rarity these days. We were really happy with our choice this time, and definitely plan on staying here again when we visit in June.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Va Beach-Oceanside (21st St), responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Thanks for the kind remarks and just as a FYI we will be adding some new bedding in 2014 although the mattresses we currently have are only one year old. I agree the view from any of our rooms is breathtaking. Also, since we are on the boardwalk you can see the Holiday Lights from your patio. Thanks again.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

A friend and I stayed one short night in this wonderful hotel. Our room was on the twelfth floor and there are few words to describe the view we had. Completely unobstructed ocean-front room right on the boardwalk. The Festival of Lights was going on - - everything from Santa to sharks down on the beach.

It had been about forty-five years since my last visit to Virginia Beach - - I hope it won't be quite as long next time!

Room Tip: Impossible to have a bad room - - every one is ocean front!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for great comments and Happy Holiday's to your family from ours.

Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Great people at VB....
Pauly at the bar and V at the front desk are exceptional.
Recommend any day.....
;)
Will keep you very happy and satisified .
Pauly is a godsend at the bar....kept us happy and entertained!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Brenda R
Jason S, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Va Beach-Oceanside (21st St), responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Thank you for the kind comments. I will certianly let Pauly know you enjoyed yourself! Next time you are in the area, consider us for your hotel stay and make sure you stop by the bar for a drink and to say HI to Pauly.