“Nice rooms and great view”

Holiday Inn Oceanside Virginia Beach
Ranked #23 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Oxford, Ohio
“Nice rooms and great view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Nice hotel, and people behind the desk were very helpful. Being a club member gave me an upgrade without even asking. I would stay there again in a heartbeat because everything was so nice. Hotel is walking distance to restaurants and eateries.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Photolook
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oceanside Virginia Beach, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for the great comments. As the weather improves this is the best time of year to visit based on the fact you can still enjoy the beach, view, watching the dophins from your guest room since every one of our rooms have a great view and at reduced prices because we are off season.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were booked at a hotel that was being renovated. However they fell to mention this during reservation. Fortunately, we were able to relocate to Holiday Inn Oceanside, Va Beach on 21st St. We were greeted by Crystal who did all she could to make our accommodation and vacation a joyous one. She called to make sure we were settling in fine! The up to date decor was beautiful. Along with the modern gym equipment. I would recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: The higher room gave us a better oceanfront view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sophronia W
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oceanside Virginia Beach, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for the comments. We just completed our renovation last year and the guests have noticed a major difference. The new salt water pool with spa features, new fitness center with state of the art equipment, business center with three PC's and every guest room remodeled includes a 32" HDTV, all new furniture and bedding. The new HDTV's along with having the WiFi throughout the hotel upgraded with faster speed our some of the best features added last year. Service is still and will always be our focus. Hope to see you soon.
Worcester, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

My team and I stayed here for a gymnastics competition and it was a stressful weekend with angry and demanding parents and the competition itself. The owner of the gym and myself frequented the hotel bar every night we were there and Maria was there every night. a lot of drinks we surely needed. She a gorgeous bartender who always had a great smile on her face. She is the reason we would come down there every night. She was great to look at but she was also attentive. She opened the bar for us 30 minutes early. she gave us a list of all the good bars to go to and the bars not to go to. she was out with her friends one night and she saw us at chemistry and bought us a round. Maria went above and beyond for our group. we might start doing more on the road competitions, so if we do, we'll have to come see her.

Room Tip: Go see Maria!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oceanside Virginia Beach, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thanks for the sharing your feelings and comments about Maria, our bartender. There is really nothing else that I can add about Maria but to say I agree 100% with the comments you have shared with us. She will be awarded a gift certificate at our next associate rally in order to show our appreciation for her service and efforts. We hope to see you soon and Maria will be waiting for your return.
Lake Worth, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I must say I have stayed here twice now for a week at a time in the past 2 months and because of one particular individual I will be back this coming week. Crystal is by far the most accommadating to make those feel welcome when they are away from their home and loved ones. Crystal knew me by first name my second trip there and was waiting with a big smile to greet me on my way back in from work each and every evening while she was on duty. Crystal always has great energy and vibe and even shares that with her guests and co workers. I must say that Tim and Maria my favorite bartenders know exactly what you want and has your drink waiting for you upon arrival. These two individuals have also made it a great experience for me and are also apart of why I am returning next week. In addition, the rooms are very clean very spacious and fits my needs! Not too mention the view was amazing and I can't wait for my rerturn! Kudos to Crystal, Tim and Maria for a job well done and I hope they are there upon my return next week!!!!

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oceanside Virginia Beach, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Outstanding guest service is what we strive to acheive with every guest that stays with us. Our Hospitality Promise states that if you are not 100% satisfied with your stay please let us know while you are here and we will make it right or that part of your stay is on us. I will thank the associates you have mentioned in your comments and we hope the next time you are in the area on business or not you stop in to see us.
Crisfield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have always used tripadvisor to help me decide which hotel to choose but have never actually submitted a review, good or bad. However, I feel our stay here was not up to par.
I decided on 21st street for a Presidents' Day weekend getaway based on multiple great reviews. Unfortunately, I cannot add to those great reviews as from the get-go things were rocky.
First, we had a rate that included a $10 coupon/or free breakfast buffet per adult per night stayed. Stayed 2 nights, 2 adults in the room, 4 vouchers, right? When we called the front desk, the lady was less than willing to fulfill this promise. We had to keep clarifying the rate rules and reluctantly she agreed to give us the vouchers. Upon picking them up in person, she was even less friendly.
Weekend seemed busy so there was no parking when we returned from dinner (yes it was snowing at this time) and had to park at an extra parking lot owned by HI down the street. No big deal there.
Room wasn't filthy but was not clean upon arrival. The back of the toilet had dirty spots and what seemed to be pink candy? all over it. We also found a New Years? noise maker under one of the beds while looking for something else.
Breakfast the first morning was very good. Wait staff was great and with the kids eat free and our vouchers we basically had a free meal. Although, they had to be asked to take the kids' meals off the bill (HI brags about their "kids under 12 eat free from the kids menu"). However, halfway through, the dining room seemed to get cold. Again, no big deal. We came back a little after 7 that night to find the same waiter still there (12+ hours!!) and the dining room literally as cold as outside! Everyone had their coats and some had hats on too. It was miserable. All of that is understandably not the staffs fault, but when we approached the front desk the lady seemed to be bothered by our complaint. We waited for our food for 45 mins and it was literally miserable. Just entirely too cold. And again we had to remind them to deduct the free kids meals from the bill, which stated it included "a frozen treat" but they were out of it.
We stay at a lot of hotels and again, I've never written a review either way. But this time, I am less than pleased and thought there were plenty of opportunities for someone, anyone to renew our faith in this place. The opportunity was missed at every turn.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oceanside Virginia Beach, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for the honest feedback about your last stay here at the Oceanside Holiday Inn. We are addressing the issues that you have raised and will ensure they do not reoccur to any future guests. Our team take's great pride in the service and quality we provide and when we miss the mark we hope that guests will bring it to our management team's attention who will then make it right or comp that part of your stay.
Thank you again for the feedback.
Orlando, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed here for just one evening but it was worth it.

The room was a decent size and the staff very friendly. Great ocean view from my room and a view of the city outside my front door.

Bed was comfy especially the different selection of pillows.

Good frige and microwave.

Only issues I had were: 1) the walls are thin, my neighbor had the tv on all night but it wasnt too bad. 2) the parking lot is small for larger vehicles; had to ask the front desk person to back me out safely so that I dont hit another car. 3). Do not eat at the hotel restaurant. Unfortunately it rained so I had to and it was not up to par (i'm going to review that one next). 4) tv remote stopped working but staff replaced it quickly.

I'd recommed this place for a weekend getaway.

Room Tip: I alway choose high floors to reduce the noise but the ocean views are the best.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the nice comments about the hotel and staff. We are always trying to improve service and quality based on the feedback from our guests that have stayed with us. We share the comments recieved with each and every associate daily at stand up meetings, while discussing the issues at our weekly staff meeting in order to uncover solutions that will address the situation for the next guest. Our goal is to ensure every guest is 100% satisfied with every portion of their stay and if not, let us know during their visit and we will make it right.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Bedford, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

This Holiday Inn was booked for a conference in which I attended which included the room in the rate. I was pleased with the front desk where check in was quick and correct. I had asked for a room with a king which was later to be found that the door would not lock upon leaving. When I notified the front desk they arrived quickly and when unable to resolve the problem I was quickly given another room.
While this was the off season I was pleased to find the HI to be at the end of the boardwalk and very easy to locate. The room while OK, had a lived in feel that I hope they don't let go much longer. Bathroom sink was cracked, stain on shower curtain and a candy wrapper (not mine) on the floor at the edge of the bed.
All rooms have a great view, free wi-fi, breakfast buffet was good, and as I travel solo felt very safe. If you are on a budget and don't need all the bells and such it is a good place to stay.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view, ground floor rooms opens directly onto the beach. Higher floors have...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oceanside Virginia Beach, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for the feedback that you have provided the Team at Oceanside Holiday Inn. We use this information in order to make our operation/service the best we can for everyone that stays with us. Hope to see you soon.