“Great Staff at Reception and Newly Remodeled”

Holiday Inn Va Beach-Oceanside (21st St)
Ranked #27 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We spent 2 nights during the Thanksgiving Holidays and had a wonderful stay at this Holiday Inn. The rooms are furnished with a refrigerator and coffee maker (although there was hot coffee in the lobby every morning-nice amenity). All of the rooms have balconys facing the ocean. We had a nice and quiet stay and rooms were super clean and nicely remodeled. Every single person at the front desk that we encountered was helpful, friendly, and super nice working hard on a long holiday weekend. Our son enjoyed the swimming pool as well.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Va Beach-Oceanside (21st St), responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thank you for the great feedback about the staff and hotel. I hope your family enjoyed looking at the Holiday Lights on the boardwalk as well. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

I spent almost two months at this wonderful hotel (October and November). The staff was outstanding, better than any I have come to know. I wish to command Ms. Crystal, at the reception counter, a very professional yet kind and caring person whose honest smile is a comfort, and Ms. Amanda, her Supervisor, very much like Crystal. Both made me feel comfortable and appeased my fear when Hurricane Sandy was approaching, then hit us -though lightly compared to New Jersey. They always took time to make sure all was well.

Among the cleaning staff, Myrtha and Delores stand out. Very discreet yet set on leaving my room clean and organized. There are many others whose name I did not get, including at the restaurant and the Bar (both much fun); and Maintenance (fixed anything within minutes).

I look forward to my next trip in Virginia Beach! (I live on the West Coast)

Room Tip: I explained what I wanted to Crystal and she put me in the best room for my taste.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Va Beach-Oceanside (21st St), responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

It was our pleasure to serve you for the last two months. Your comments will be shared with every team member at our next associate rally on December 7th. We pride ourselves on the service provided to our guests as though they are at our home. Please let us know the next time you come to the beach so that we can make you feel at home again.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

The room itself was clean. Very small for a family of 5 but I had figured it would be before we went. Had a nice choice of continental breakfast , but the flies were really bad inside the eating area. The front desk staff was helpful, but the cleaning employees did not speak English. It did have a nice view of the ocean and was in the middle of the boardwalk attractions which made it convenient.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Va Beach-Oceanside (21st St), responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you for the feedback about the hotel and staff. We use this information as a training tool with our team. We offer rollaway beds for large famlies and have guest room that connect as well. Again, we apologize for the few experiences that did not fit your family needs but we hope to see you soon. Off season we offer our best values on guest room packages which are on line or just call us to find out more.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Stayed here one night and used my Priority Rewards for a free room. WOW! 11th floor suite facing the Atlantic. Awesome view. The room was spacious, bed very comfortable. The hotel has been remodeled and I find some of the design choices questionable. It will be very difficult during tourist season to keep these rooms clean! I personally love the new carpet, but with its design, more attention will have to be paid to keeping them well vacuumed. Also, wallpaper?! In a beach-front hotel? The humidity and heat will have that peeling off in no time. The furniture is nice, but again, the fabric used on the two chairs....difficult to keep clean for long. The bathroom was fine, tho maybe a bit more attention to detail on the cleaning. New tiling gives it a modern feel, however, the toilet seat really should be replaced or repaired when parts have broken off. My comments are really for management, since it's obvious a lot of money was spent to up-date this hotel. Workmanship could have been better. Carpet in the elevators=very bad choice. In the Summer, it'll be sandy and wet constantly. Small annoyances like the microwave clock blinking instead of being set, and the clock not being set to the correct time. I did not eat at the hotel, so cannot comment on that. Front desk was extremely friendly and helpful when we needed to get a cab! The parking lot is small, but space is at a premium on the Beach. I would definitely recommend this hotel and stay here again. I really hope Management stays on top of the house-keeping come Summertime, or the new finishes will fade very quickly!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Va Beach-Oceanside (21st St), responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Thank you for your detailed comments about the hotel and choices made for the guest rooms and elevators. Your feedback is being shared with the housekeeping and engineering staff's so we can ensure everyone is looking at the details of the cleaning and upkeep of each and every guest room. Again, thank you for the feedback and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

I spent five nights in October as part of a special event in Virginia Beach. The staff was friendly, knowledgeable, and did and outstanding job with the groups we had staying there -- including making last minute changes for their breakfast arrangements from a continental to a full buffet! Great location, easy parking; clean hotel; nice restaurant with good food and bar in the lobby area. Would highly recommend!

Room Tip: Loved the corner suites!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Va Beach-Oceanside (21st St), responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. Our staff takes great pride in the service they provide and I am very pleased to hear that you felt the service and your entire stay was great. I will pass your comments along to the staff at our next associate rally. We hope to see you soon and again thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

The view from the room was great! The sunrise over the ocean was beautiful. Our room was nicely decorated. The room had a sofa that we could sit inside and watch the ocean. ( It was cold and windy) The balcony was small with 2 chairs.
The room was very clean. We did have to ask for items to be restocked by the housekeeping department. The one day they did not restock the coffee or the washcloths. It was remedied immediately when staff was advised of the issue.
The only negative is we paid extra to have breakfast . The breakfast menu was on the small side and the breakfast coupon was only for $20. Breakfasts were $8.95 and up and coffee for two was $ 5.50 . The food was ok but nothing special. I would not pay the extra for the breakfast if I returned.
Be advised that many restaurants in the area seem to close up after the busy season. Call first to make sure they are open.
The beach is convenient just steps from the hotel. The swimming pool is inside. No jacuzzi.
We would return without including the breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2012
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Va Beach-Oceanside (21st St), responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

The pictures that you have taken were outstanding and we wanted to thank you for the kind comments. We have just started a new package which includes a guest room and for an additional $5.00 a free complete hot breakfast. This package is available through the fall and winter months along with the free ocean and beach view from any of our 149 guest rooms.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I took a honeymoonn road trip and spent 1 night in Virginia Beach. We picked the Holiday Inn and was so happy to stay. We stayed at a lot of hotels that week . This was the nicest and was very happy here. A room with a view of the ocean. We really enjoyed the Atmosphere. I would love to spend more time In VA Beach sometime and will return. The staff was so friendly and helpful! I do agree with previous post about the restaurant food was just so so. I hope they improve upon that.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NicoleD416
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Va Beach-Oceanside (21st St), responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

We are thrilled you enjoyed your last stay here at the Oceanside Holiday Inn. I think this time of year is the best value of the entire year. Prices are cheaper and there are no lines at any of the local attractions while the weather is perfect for watching dophins or just relaxing at the beach. We are currently working on the restaurant concept and wanted to thank you for the feedback. Hope to see you soon.