“Failing Restaurant”

Holiday Inn Va Beach-Oceanside (21st St)
Ranked #27 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have been staying at this hotel over several years because of its convenient beach location with wonderful sea views generally at competitive room rates. The hotel has recently been refurbished offering a high standard of decoration and cleanliness. The rooms are also well equipped with flat screen TVs, fridges and microwaves. Unfortunately whilst I have no criticism of the condition of the hotel sadly the restaurant has always let this Holiday Inn down, it’s always empty, which means it lacks atmosphere but more importantly it’s a pretty good sign that guests are finding better places to eat in the vicinity. I have never seen a buffet breakfast being offered so by the time you choose individual items from the menu such as an orange juice, a coffee, some cereal then perhaps some cooked eggs and toast you are getting a bill for $25 that’s not cheap especially when you are with the kids! The service is not great either. Much the same for dinner, limited menu, very bland when it finally arrives and leaves you regretting eating there, again not particularly good value and the slow inattentive service does not compensate for the lack of good quality food. God help them if it was ever busy.
This criticism of the restaurant is not intended to put people off using this hotel but is aimed at the hotel management to improve the quality of their food, their menus, restaurant service staff and prices then they might encourage guests to eat there. It’s not difficult to see why some restaurants are popular and others fail. Come on Holiday Inn sort it!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Woody200
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Va Beach-Oceanside (21st St), responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Thank you for the honest feedback about the hotel and restaurant operations. Our goal is always to improve the service and quality provided to each and every guest. We have been working on a new concept and operational plan for the Restaurant and Bar. Prices along with service standards have been addressed as part of the improvement process. We would love if you would give us a second chance. Again, thank you for the feedback.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

My fiancee and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Oceanside last Wednesday thru Thursday. We chose VA beach since some good friends of ours had recently moved down, but due to time and budget constraints, we could only do one overnight :( Because we wanted to make the most of everything, we looked for a hotel that had clean rooms, a pool, ocean views, and was right on the beach. Well, this hotel definitely delivered! Also nice were the quick check in and check out, and flexible reservations... we were actually supposed to stay Tuesday into Wednesday, but had to move things back a day due to an emergency at home. I had made the reservations through Holiday Inn's website (with a nice AAA discount), and was able to change our dates that morning right from my iPhone. Very convenient and I loved that we weren't charged any extra for the last minute change.
We also liked that there was a bar in the hotel, but they should be open later (it closed at 10, and a bunch of the bars and nightclubs in the area behind the hotel are kinda skeevy). However, the bartender gave us a couple drinks to take back to our room, so my fiancee and I really appreciated how the staff were willing to accommodate us. Speaking of, I had read an earlier review where a guest had requested a late check out, and after a 6 hour drive from Pennsylvania and a return trip the next day to look forward to, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask about it. I guess there was a bit of a mix-up with the guy working the night shift, but when I went to confirm with the woman working at the desk the next morning, she honored our request for a late check out even though it's really only for the Holiday Inn club members. Once again, the willingness of the staff to make accommodations in order to ensure we had a pleasant, relaxing stay was VERY much appreciated! Those few extra hours really made the difference in our short vacation, as we got to go out for a big breakfast, then come back and spend some time on the beach and in the pool. I would also be remiss not to mention how big and clean the beach is - barely any broken shells or rocks, though the waves were pretty rough. Also, the aircraft flying overhead from the local military base are loud - though cool to look at - but it takes some getting used to the noise. The hotel's pool was GREAT, nice and warm, with a sort of hot tub area on the one end with seating and jets. We also noticed that some work was being done to spruce up the interior (painting and such), which is always good to see because it means the people there care about the upkeep of the hotel.
Honestly though, I think above all the very best thing about this hotel were the views. It was soooo relaxing to just sit out on the balcony and look out over the water, and even better being able to fall asleep listening to the waves. To top it all off, I had left the curtains open so the sunrise woke me up. Missed out on some sleep but it was worth it!! Attached are a few of my favorite photos.
The only thing I can think of that caused any annoyance was when we had gotten back from dinner with our friends on Tuesday night, there was no parking in the lot right at the hotel. Since we were a little confused about where the extra parking was, I had to go in and ask at the front desk (there is a parking layout on the back of the pass they give you, but it wasn't very helpful). So maybe a little extra direction on that for guests new to the hotel would be nice. Aside from that small issue, my fiancee and I were very happy with our stay and are looking forward to returning in the future!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Va Beach-Oceanside (21st St), responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

WOW!! Thank you for the detailed account of your most recent stay at the Oceanside Holiday Inn. September and October are my favorite months to stay at the beach since rates are less than half as much as during the season and the weather is still great. There are fewer people at the beach but the views are super and no lines at the restaurants or local attractions. We look forward to your next visit and hope we can be your hotel of choice.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed here for very short vacation with my family. Hotel location and view from the room was great. Our room was clean and had microwave and fridge. Hotel staff were very friendly. We really enjoyed breakfast outside with ocean view and Ozzy was very helpful, friendly and professional server. We had very good stay and enjoyed our vacation. Hotel staff made everything easy for us and we felt very comfortable in Holiday Inn Oceanside Hotel. Thank you again for everything.

Room Tip: If you travel to Virginia Beach you should check this hotel before book your reservation.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Va Beach-Oceanside (21st St), responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you for the kind words about the staff and Ozzy. These comments go a long way with the team as we celebrate guest's noticing their efforts at every staff Rally/Meeting which is held twice a month for the entire team. Our main focus is to provide outstanding Service to each and every guest. Thank you again.

Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are nice and clean. My view of the beach was beautiful and I did not experience any problems with wi-fi. I will stay there again when I return to VA Beach. The staff was very friendly. I did not get in the pool but the area was clean. They do not have a hot tub.

• Stayed: September 2012
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Va Beach-Oceanside (21st St), responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Thank you for the great comments about the cleanliness of the hotel and the speed of our WiFi which has just been upgraded for all of our valued guests. Thanks again and hope to see you soon at the beachfront.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed here Aug 30-Sept 4th 2012. We live about 4 hours away from VA beach. We love the American Music Fest that occurs every Labor day weekend, so we are always in VA beach over Labor day. This was our 4th year staying on the Boardwalk, and this was, BY FAR, the best hotel we've stayed in. It's a little pricier than others, but WELL worth it.
Here's why:
The ice machine was phenomenal
The elevator was fast and smooth
The employees were competent and friendly
The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable
The shower was clean, the shower head was fabulous, the water pressure was GREAT, and there was no end to the hot water
The maid was amazing ( a $10 tip goes a LONG way)
It's centrally located on the Boardwalk
The WIFI actually worked, and worked well (So many hotels have the slowest WIFI)
The indoor pool is immaculately maintained ( We are beach people, however it rained one day, so we resorted to the pool. It was clean, there were fresh towels for guests to use and the tile work was quite gorgeous)

The only con I have to comment on:

The attached restaurant has delicious food, especially as "boardwalk" restaurants go, however the service is slow. Don't get me wrong, the manager, bartender and servers are very friendly and accommodating; however, the actual food service is very slow. Expect about 25-30 between ordering and actually getting your food.

We will not be looking for another hotel next year. This Holiday Inn definitely has us for repeat customers.

Room Tip: They are ALL oceanfront rooms with a balcony. It's a non-smoking hotel, however, (I hope this do...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Thanks for the kind comments about the staff and hotel. The hotel WiFi has been upgraded based on guest feedback so it is one of the fastest on the Oceanfront. We continue to make upgrades to our service and quality based on feedback like yours. Thank you again.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

This Holiday Inn Oceanside Hotel was a great vacation stay for my husband and I. I really enjoyed this hotel. Everyone at the check in desk was so nice and made you feel welcome. The whole hotel was so clean. I said to my husband as we walked to our room (by the way I love the TV as you are waiting for the elavator) this hotel has a very fresh smell. I liked the many tv channels, the oceanside view, the bed and pillows were great. Just one small complaint that the closet is by the door. When my husband came back from parking the car and I was at the closet I just had to tell him don't open the door yet. Very close to the door. Nice parking also. Hotel is right in the middle of everything where you can walk to. Really great vacation stay. Will definitely come back. Thank you.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Va Beach-Oceanside (21st St), responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2012

Thanks for the great comments about the hotel and all of the new features we have just added for our guests. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

The rooms in this hotel are well appointed with lively pink/green comforters and drapes. I could not call it spacious, but it is adequate. Every room has a balcony with a great view of the ocean. However, the balcony only has two chairs and no table so it is awkward to enjoy your coffee or evening libation.
The dresser has six big drawers for your clothing, but the hanging rack is small and not in a closet, just open the hallway. I found the bed very hard and uncomfortable. They tout two diferrent pillow types on the bed, soft and hard. But I thought they were hard and harder. Seemed to be made ot crumbled foam and not comfortable either. I left a request for a feather pillow and got a 100% polyester one.
I used the iron and it would barely heat up. While there is a wall theromstat in the room which did keep the room cool, the A/C is noisy. However, it is not as noisy as the naval jet planes that fly over almost every half hour. They are deafening.
The beach is wonderful, clean and no shells.
We ate in the holel restaurant and it was average, nothing special. There are lots of channels on the tv and it is a small flat screen. The room has a fridge and coffee maker, no microwave. There are no beach towels available, so bring your own or buy one here. The indoor pool is very nice with small waterfalls.
The hotel has free internet and a dialy paper. It was no problem to get a noon check out. I found the staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for the feedback in order to improve a few things in the guest rooms. The hotel has just completed a remodel but we are always looking for new opportunies and you have given us a few ideas. Again, thank you for your honest feedback.