“Not that bad.”

Ranked #102 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
artichoke72
“Not that bad.”
Reviewed July 26, 2007

I booked this hotel based on location and price, not really knowing what to expect. The night before we left for VA Beach, I happened upon this website and almost had a panic attack after reading all the bad reviews. By then it was too late to cancel. I arrived at the hotel with low expectations and a bag of cleaning supplies. Our room wasn't all that bad, even though it was a smoking room (they didn't have any non-smoking available). We were on the first floor and I was happy with the location of our room. Once we entered our room, I spent 5 minutes bleaching and cleaning the bathroom and sink area (the toliet seat wasn't clean) and spraying the room down with Lysol and Febreeze. I strippped the bed coverings off the bed and threw them in a corner. There were only a couple other problems with the room....the phone was completely dead (no problem, we had our cell phones) and one of the beds had been broken and put on a thrown-together wooden "frame" that stuck out several inches from the bed and was complete with nasty nails and metal "things" sticking out. I put my suitcase there so my young son wouldn't injure himself. Other than that....the location of the Ramada Limited was awesome! We could see the ocean and the Neptune sculpture from our room. We could easily walk to the beach, restaurants, shops, Starbucks, etc...within minutes. The Neptune park had live music each night and was very family friendly. Parking was fine and we didn't have to drive at all during our stay. Overall we had a great time in VA Beach and we are even talking about returning next year. I would consider staying at the Ramada again.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the cleanliness of the room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Fairmont
Reviewed July 10, 2007

When we planned this vacation I got online and looked through all the hotels in the VA beach area. I did read the reviews on this place and still like a dumb butt reserved a "renovented" room. HA renovented WHEN? From the moment we checked in there was nothing but problems. We ended up switching rooms. During our stay the phone went out, we had to ASK for toliet paper and towels, the toliet stopped up and it took 2 hours for the guy to come fix it. The air didn't work at first. Their solution to everything was "we can move you to a new room". What the hell? We wanted to move our stuff how many times?
The elevator is not safe. I was on it and it stopped in between floors. The only thing good about the whole thing was they gave us the first night free and we much more [--] we got more off on our weeks stay. It was awful. The staff on the other hand was really nice and kept apologizing. The one guy said they are closing after this season and doing a total remodel. The location was ok. The balcony was very small. We had some red necks in the place one night and had to call the security people. Parking on the weekends was awful. We had a parking pass and others that was just traveling the beach would park in that parking lot and leave us with no parking.
Honestly, save yourself the head aches and go to another beach all together. VA beach is so so. I have been to this beach two times and after the first time I swore no more. I ended up here due to a friends softball tournment.
For a vacation and fun filled beach trip hit the Carolinas. Their beaches are awesome.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The place in general sucks.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed June 26, 2007

My husband and I were traveling to VA Beach for our 1 year anniversary. We've never been there before, and thought it would be a nice extended weekend getaway. We weren't looking to spend a ton of money on our hotels, but we wanted something near the beach. This hotel was offering $99 a night for King sized 'recently renovated' rooms. I was a little skeptical about the hotel based on reviews, but my husband called and booked the room. He requested a room away from the elevator, and a newly renovated king size room.
He checked in before looking at the room (we just drove 8 hours and we figured it would be okay). We went up the very small, smelly elevator and right when we got out on the 5th floor, our room was right there! Exactly where we requested it not to be.
We went in, and the room looked like it was renovated- 25 years ago! It was disgusting- sand all over the place, hair in the tub, and just old and outdated. I didnt even want to sit on the bed.
We checked out about 30 minutes later after finding an oceanview room at Sandcastle Hotel- right on the beach and cheaper! The front desk woman told my husband we would be refunded for the 1st night (we were already charged in full). Its been over 2 weeks and we still have not received that refund. The manager is supposed to call us but we haven't gotten that either.
Don't stay here! Sandcastle Hotel was much nicer.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marriedin06
NY
Reviewed August 10, 2006

After reading other reviews I wasn't sure what to expect. It really wasn't bad though. Pros: the view was great, the roof top pool was fantastic, location was great for shopping, music, and beach. Cons: rooms surely could have used more cleaning, elevator was small/hot/kinda scary. I would use this hotel again. The price was good, and the staff was friendly and helpful. Our kids had a great time also.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank threeblueeyedgirls
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 7, 2006

Good room, GREAT service, front desk workers were very kind and helpful when we needed directions, a phone number, etc etc. Did not try the breakfast but there are two breakfast places behind the hotel -- Jewish Mother (eggs, bacon, pancakes for $2.22!!) and a waffles place.

Easy walk across the street to the beach, very close to bustling boardwalks and restaurants. Housekeeping left the room sparkling clean, visited middle of the day while we were at the beach.

I reserved this online and MADE SURE to have a 5th floor room. Every room has an ocean view, but the 4th and 5th floors are the only renovated room. BE SURE TO GET A RENOVATED ROOM. "Guaranteed check-in" for the hotel is between 3 and 4, but we checked in at 1 and asked for the first 5th floor room available. A couple that had a 3rd floor room shared the elevator with us and stressed how discusting and horrendous their room was.

I went with my boyfriend, we are in our low low 20s, and we noticed a lot of the people that stayed seemed to be very young as well. Great air conditioning, heating, location, service, etc!

• Liked — View and Location were great for the price
  • Disliked — elevator was often hot, crowded
  • Tips/Secrets — MAKE SURE TO GET 4th or 5th FLOOR ROOM!!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank collegegirl2009
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 15, 2006

My husband and I took our 3 small kids to Virginia Beach for a long weekend, When I Made
our Reservations I was told it was ON The Boardwalk!!!!! Not true at all. The room had a horrible smell and not much of a view. The Elevator sounds like it was going to break at any time, Very Unfriendly staff, the room Was Not ready at time of check in, The Entrence to your room is in the Back of the building With the Dumpster. O'yah and the price of the room Waaaaaay to much. Very Dissatisfied Never Again.
C & D Fulton N.Y.

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Unionville, VA
Reviewed July 11, 2006

I booked my travel plans late, and was a little concerned when I read some of the reviews for the Ramada Limited at Virginia Beach, but being that I couldn't find oceanfront on a holiday weekend with only a few days notice I decided to take my chances. I was pleasantly suprised, being on the 5th floor we did have a nice ocean view (had to look past a few parking lots), plus the new Neptune Park and Statue were in view and earshot of the nightly entertainment. The staff were very cordial and helpful, assisting with giving us delivery menus from local pizza joints, the necessary bracelet for the child identity program for lost little ones, directions to trolly stops and other points of interest, and even a band aid when we had a late night boo boo and everything was closed. The WiFi (wireless internet) worked fine, and the desk attendent even asked how my experience was with it, as if he was truly concerned, as some patrons had reported problems in the past, although I had absolutely none. The pool was small, but we didn't really use it, just went up to check it out, it appeared clean and sanitary (coming from a long time home pool owner). What we and the kids liked best was that while you could see the ocean, you could also see the nightlife on Atlantic Ave, unlike when you are oceanfront and all you see is the water. Housekeeping could use a little improvement, while all we requested was the trash changed and the bathroom cleaned, they didn't clean the bathroom once the entire time we stayed, and if you can imagine with 4 kids it was pretty sandy by the time we checked out, a quick sweep or vac of the bathroom floor and a wipe down with new towels would have satisfied us. The fridge and microwave were great for keeping the kids stocked in drinks and snacks. All togehter is was a good experience, and a good value. We would stay again!

8 Thank Barbara G