“Do your research and listen to the reviews....”

Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #28 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Jersey
“Do your research and listen to the reviews....”
Reviewed August 1, 2009

My family and I just returned from our 5 day vacation at the Sheraton, VA Beach. This was our first time there. Before I begin with my/our review.. I will tell you that the staff at the hotel are all very pleasant and accomadating. The vallet gentlemen work their tails off and do so with a smile :).
Our original vacation was to take place last week in Myrtle Beach, S.C. however, after my husband was hospitalized unexpectedly, we decided to move our vacation closer to home. Our children won't fly, so V.A. Beach was only a 6 1/2 hour drive from Jersey vs. a 13 hour drive to S.C.. We had heard that Virginia Beach was nice at a recent gathering. I had googled hotels in Virginia Beach and came across the Sheraton Hotel Oceanfront and the Hilton. The Hilton was booked so I tried the Sheraton. When I called to find out the rates, etc.. I was told they only had 1 room left, partial ocean view and the cost would be $304.00 per night. I thought it was extremly high but after what we were just through with my husband, I decided to book it and be done with it. When he heard how much the hotel was, he decided to call. Thank goodness he did, because he was told they had 3 rooms left and got a rate of 264.00 per night. After this, I had called reservations back and told them about the price difference. They re-did our reservation to reflect the new price. When I had made the orgininal reservation, I had explained to the man on the phone, that I needed to be on a lower level room in the hotel due to my husband's ankle being swallon, his legs are in pain and he just had surgury on his knee a few months ago. My concern was that if the elevator ever stopped working that my husband would have to use the stairs. The man had said he would note it in the computer. Well... we arrive at the hotel and I checked us in. The lady at the front desk was going to put us on the 11th floor. I had explained the situation regarding my husband and that it was suppose to be noted in the computer about being on a lower level floor. Apparently, it wasn't noted in the computer. What probally happened is when they rebooked us at the lower price, the lady never looked into the notes and didn't carry them over. Anyway, the best they could due was put us on the 6th floor or a "pet" friendly room on a lower level. We took the 6th floor. One of our children just turned 3 and still plays on the floor. I didn't know how well they clean there carpets with the animals in the room. Up to the room we go.... We get to the room. The room was okay. Little stains on the bed spreads. The room didn't have a musty smell. It was warm in the room & the bathroom was small. We had a partial view of the ocean and a roof top. Here is where we ran into our first of a few problems. It took a while for the air to kick in. The toliet needed to be flushed 2x before it would go down and the sink kept backing up. Trying to get on an elevator was annoying. There were times we had to wait and wait and wait. Other times it came quicker. Between the air not working properly, the toliet needing to be flushed 2x, the sink being backed up and the issues with the elevators all in one day, we just about had enough. I went to the front desk to complain and wanted to know what would happen if we wanted to leave. She told me that we'd forfit a one night stay. I was really, really annoyed. To think if you are really that unhappy with a hotel that they'd charge you for thier problems. The girl at the front desk did ask if I had called to have someone come up to fix this (in which I did not). My thought was, we are on vacation. If I wanted plumming problems or air conditioning problems we could have just stayed home. This is a vacation. Our vacation along with many others who were staying there. We shouldn't have these issues. By the way, we are fortunate enough that we don't have those problems at home. Anyway, because we were going to loose money we decided to stay and make it work. The next day we go to the beach and arrive back at our hotel room around 3:45 in the afternoon. Open the door to find out that our room hasn't been cleaned yet which meant no clean towels. I called down to guest services and asked for towels. Approx. 45 minutes later, they arrived. Next day, the maid comes to clean our room right before we were leaving for breakfast. Come back and notice that he had left us no towels. I caught up with him in the hallway and had mentioned it to him. Come to find out, no one on the 6th floor had towels yet. He told me he'd bring them to us later. Well, we go to the beach, come back around 4:00 to take showers before dinner and guess what... NO towels. I called down to guest services and this time only waited approx. a half hour for towels. If you are staying at this hotel, we sugguest you hide one under your pillow so you at least have a back up in case this happens to you. Another issue was no parking on the premises. You can either vallet park or they have two lots across the street that you may self park in. Be aware, the parking spaces are small. It makes it very difficult to park & open your doors. I can't imagine someone trying to park with a big SUV. Getting back to the elevator issue. The elevators are very warm inside. The 6th floor hallways don't seem to have air either. Depending on the time of day, your wait for an elevator can be very long. At times your packed in the elevator like sardines. It was unfortunate that my husband had to walk 6 flights of stairs with his swallon ankle and pains in his leg to get to our room. Other than our unfortunate issues at the hotel, the beach was nice, clean. The pools were nice. The inside one needed to be cleaned on the bottom. At times the outside bar needed more then one bartender. When you hear that Virginia Beach has a nice boardwalk, don't think it is one like the Jersey Shore or Ocean City, MA. It is a very nice boardwalk to take a stroll or ride bikes or skate on but I thought there was going to be a big amusement park with games, etc.. They do have a small amuesment park on the boardwalk but that is more for younger children. They also have something across the way with rides but didn't visit there. There are lots of resturants and hotels along Atlantic Ave. I suggust if you are thinking of staying in VA Beach that you do your homework and look into a few hotels before you book here. The Sheraton is a nice hotel but has a few issues that need to be addressed. I did speak to someone with a dog that was staying at the hotel and she said they are very accomadating with pets. She had no problems. If you have children, the aquariam was small but nice however somethings were blocked off for renovation. Take the children and get a "Dancing Heads" video. It is for adults too. If I remember correctly, it was near 14th street and Atlantic on the corner. Very cute!! We are still watching the video and laughing!!. One last thing, the noise level from the skys gets to you after a while.

2 Thank goyanksnj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
ottawa
Reviewed July 23, 2009

As all comments made about this hotel, the staff is very professional, polite and welcoming. Our room was very clean and the hotel staff kept it that way the whole week. We also used an extra cot that was very comfortable. The location is great as access to the beach is a mere minute and no overcrowding in that area. Restaurant in the hotel offers good food and service but I would suggest that other restaurants around offer better value for money (such as Pocahantas for breakfast, PI pizza for dinner for families with teenagers)
All in all, definitly recommend this hotel and extend compliments to the Hotel staff

philadelphia, pa
Reviewed July 22, 2009

First time staying at the Sheraton. The lobby, restaurant, pools and location are wonderful. The rooms were a step above a motel at the beach. Extremely disappointed for $300/night. Dust was all over the furniture. The beds were not the sweet dreams bed they advertise. Rooms seem outdated with old tv that had tons of static. Could barely bathe my kids due to the small bathroom and the way the door opened. The housekeeping was one of the worst I have ever had. Parking was impossible. Three of the six nights, there were no spots. Valet parking was complimentary however they were on break every night we had the problem. They said they promise 1 spot per room but they tend to give out more than 1 spot therefore the lack of parking. Overall, we had a great time at the beach and pools. However, I dreaded going back to the rooms.

Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed July 17, 2009

Stayed at this hotel for 4 days/3 nights 7/12-15. We stayed the night before in the new Westin due to not being able to get all 4 nights at this hotel on SPG points. Since it was free my view is skewed to overlook some of the negatives.

While the hotel is not spectacular in anyway the location is great and the beach is really nice. It's really wide and has uber calm water as compared to any beach on the NJ/NY shore, you could easily wade out 100 ft in be in water up to your head and not have waves crushing you upon entering or serious rip tides to worry about. Also there are lots of dolphins who swim quiet close to the swimmers which is really cool. Just remember dolphins swim up and down sharks side to side (we didn't see any sharks :)

THe first room we got was terrible right on the first floor on the cabana side and smelled of smoke and mildew. We asked to be switched and where given a 3rd floor room on the same side which was actually really nice. KIng bed clean nice view of the ocean no complaints. Turn down service every night. Didn't do any excursions as the beach was all we wanted to see while here walked the boardwalk and Atlantic Ave to take in some of the shops/shows

If you are a person traveling with little ones this would be an ideal beach place to go it was the only hotel on the boardwalk that we saw while there that had more than one pool in-fact it's got 3 and a little plunge pool. The beach is really calm as stated above tons of babies playing in the water and a little further out some small waves for teens/tweens to boogieboard and play in. Prior to leaving for this trip I was down the jersey shore with my nieces and nephews and had to twice dive in to save my 7yr old nephew from being pulled out to sea due to the rough conditions and rip tide. Here my 2 yr old nephew was fine for two days.

There is also a pool side restaurant that has really good food and drinks $8 mixed frozen drinks, $6-10 food snacks and a good selection of beers both on tap and bottled.

We ate out every day Pocahantas across the street is an awesome breakfast place they always quote a longer time than you actually wait, but it is crowded. Never ate at the hotel due to someone upon check-in saying how terrible it was. We did eat at Catch 31 in the Hilton which was great and had a small fireworks display by luck.

Also ate at Rockefeller's and can't see what the fuss is about. Went right around sunset only to realize they have zero outdoor seating and you can't actually see the sunset because the [lace is setup backwards. Why is the kitchen where the sun sets? Also our service was beyond poor it took about 30 mins to place and order, so while we waited we had to listen to the manager berate the employees non stop. They have zero lobster/snow/king crab or anything unique to VA as far as I could see on the menu. Really it was just a chain restaurant menu and a poor one at that.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
maryland
Reviewed July 13, 2009

We just returned from the Sheraton Oceanfront @ Va.Beach. We were on vacation for 8 days during the 4th of July. Upon checking in I noticed immediatly how friendly the staff was. And this friendliness continued our entire stay. I do not have 1 negative statement to make about this resort. They have 3 pools-2 outdoor pools and 1 indoor(large) pool,along w/3 jacuzzi's. Actually all pools are a good size. Pools were clean and the outside Tiki bar was great!!! The food and the drinks were great! The whole atmosphere around the pool w/the Tiki bar was very nice considering this is mostly the kids pool area. The other outdoor pool is very quiet and has fountains on the side..very nice. This hotel is good for everyone..families,singles,couples..We ate at the restaurant every day for breakfast and the buffet was excellent. It was fully stocked even until 11AM--they did not rush you out even though the lunch service was about to begin. They kept it stocked until the last customers were served. The dinners are very good as well. It is truly a gourmet dinner.Just excellent. There is a large bar area as well located by the computer area/lounge area--which is oceanfront w/big windows to view the boardwalk and the ocean!! The rooms were clean as well as nicely decorated. We asked housekeeping for extras--like x-tra shampoo/conditioners as well as towels..they gave them to us on the spot! We had clean sheets daily. We also had a "cot" which my 16 yr old son said was very comfortable. The location of the hotel is very convienant--walking distance to great restaurants as well as trolley service @ the front. If you needed directions or just needed to ask a ? the staff here were more than accomadating! they printed out directions to an attraction I asked for w/out me even asking for a print-out. The computer area is awesome!! Big screens w/touch screen and there were plenty of computers to accom. everyone. Like I said at the beginning--I don't have a thing to complain about!!! You simply feel "at home" here.
We met the manager John Whippen. We complimented him on the outstanding staff and resort. He is one of the nicest men you will ever meet. He asked for our input on the hotel and we simply said we loved the place,we enjoyed the whole enviroment. He has done an outstanding job training his staff and it shows in the whole vacation experience..Well done! Thanks for a wonderful vacation in Va. Beach!! We will be back!!!

Alexandria, VA
Reviewed July 12, 2009

I travel and stay in hundreds of hotels. The Sheration Oceanfront Hotel.experience was absolutely the worst. The oceanfront room with balcony I reserved ended up being a jacuzzi room with a two foot window if you stood in the tub. The only thing you could see was a roof with a lot of noisy fans, The room smelled and linen was dingy. After trying to sleep above the external noise I asked to be moved. Was moved to a small street front room with two double beds. Except for the ocassional motorcycle passing It was relativiely quiet until dayliight. Talked to the front desk manager Etienne the next morning. He just stood there as I told him of the ordeal starting with the reservationist lying to me. Only thing he said is we will let you check out and not penalize you for not stayng the second night. I asked him if the rate was the same for the two double bed room that we stayed in.as the oceanfront room that we reserved. He would not answer. I then asked if he was going to charge me the $285 rate that I agreed to pay for the oceanfront room. He said yes. This is the first review I have ever written, I am so upset that I will spread the word throughout my company to never stay at sheraton. DO NOT STAY AT SHERATON OCEANFRONT. I PLAN TO WRITE A LETTER TO THE SHERATON EXECUTIVES,. I have waited two days to write this review

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
cincinnati
Reviewed July 10, 2009

The first impression of this hotel is very nice. The breakfast was very good! However, the bedding in our room smelled terribly of urine and they could not change our room. Our balcony looked out over an extremely noisy air conditioning system that you could hear all night long.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple