“Out of school for kids trip”

Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #32 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

Family friendly hotel!. Location is perfect. People are very friendly, the beds are dreamy, the rooms are nice but the bathrooms are way to small. The elevators are not big either and the door opens and closes just as quick as when it arrives....so be quick getting in and out. Overall, the experience was nice and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Tia M, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Thank you for telling us about your stay. I am happy to hear it was a good one. Unfortunately the bathrooms are at their maximum size based on the rooms. And, the elevators can not be changed based on safety laws. But, I am happy you enjoyed your time with us and hope we get to see you again.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Stayed here autumn 2013. Agree with the great service reviews here, very friendly which is unusual for a large hotel in my experience. Good rooms (roomy!) and great breakfasts! Loved the sun bathing too. A lovely place to relax on our East Coast road trip.

Room Tip: Pretty obvious, you'll want an ocean view. Great views so well worth it to hear that lapping oc...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BlueOcean1

Thank you for telling us about your past stay. I am happy to hear you had a great time, and I hope we do get to see again.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

I had an overnight at this hotel for an annual conference. The bed was magnificent, the room was nicely appointed, and room service was delicious. A small lunch meeting was arranged for me and my colleagues and CECE was a wonderful server. The restaurant staff even held on to my bag in their closet during the lunch. Our table was reserved just as I requested the day before and when I changed the plan, there was no problem cheerfully meeting my needs. However, I must comment on the customer service of the supervisor at the front desk, Tia, who was refreshingly, helpful and friendly. She was able to upgrade me to an oceanfront room and gave me a later checkout without any hassle. Not sure if this was related to my Starwood status, but I appreciated it. I didn't arrive until 10 pm and I was glad to be welcomed so warmly. In fact, all of the staff was great! The bathrooms are small but I was surprised to have a refrigerator and microwave and coffee maker with Starbucks coffee! A great ( and far too short) stay.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean front if available.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. I am happy to hear my team made you feel so welcomed and pleased. Our goal is great customer service, and it's so nice to hear when that goal has been met. We will be absolutely delighted to have you return to our hotel in the future!

Reviewed June 16, 2014

I'm a seasoned traveler who likes private/remote beach hotels, not ones on coastlines completely covered by hotels (like Va. Beach). However, this hotel grew on me, as did Va Beach, which is certainly considered a "tourist trap" type destination. Here are pros and cons of Sheraton AND Va Beach:
PROS:
Beach in front of hotel was crowded, but not "packed." You had privacy if you wanted it.
Most (but not all) service reps tried to be friendly and helpful.
Hotel is right on beach in nice part of town.
Pool is small but it faces beach. Many hotels have pool on busy streets!
It has a cabana/tiki bar that is affordable and on the ocean. Fresh 50 cent wings and oysters at happy hour.
Fusion restaurant served decent breakfast buffet (which was included in our price), although they pack people in that space.
Room was decent and adequate for price.
Workout facility was enough for most needs; indoor pool looked relaxing for cold days.
You can rent beach stuff and bikes right near hotel.
The boardwalk is really nice and you're near concerts, etc. There was an impressive art show that spanned several blocks when I was there.
Free valet parking.
CONS:
If you don't have a beachfront room, views can be AWFUL. Our "city view" room was right over roof of conference center, so AC noise was unbearable if we opened sliding glass door. We never relaxed on balcony. (Our room was part of a conference. I don't know how much more expensive an oceanfront view would be, but it's worth considering the extra cost.)
Drinks/food/room probably just a little overpriced for the quality you get. (Think 4-5 star prices for 3-4 star accomodations.)
Pool is small and narrow; feels crowded even when not many folks are there.
Restaurant is overcrowded for breakfast.
Rooms are adequate, but not luxurious. Small bathrooms.
OVERALL:
The hotel is adequate and maybe even nice if you get a good deal. The Hilton is nicer, but in a more trendy, overpriced, Miami South Beach-wannabe kind of way. The new Hilton Garden Inn is nicer but the pool is right on a crowded street. I'd stay here again but would demand a great rate and at least free breakfast. And since there's a fridge in room, stock it full of whatever to save money on the overpriced food and beverages. I'm more of an Outer Banks person, but I may come back here!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank BirdCatcher

Thank you for telling us about your stay. I am glad our associates and the location met your overall expectations. I can't argue that the oceanfront view is worth every penny compared to the other views from different rooms. I hope we do get to see you again in the future.

Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

The Hotel is very clean and the rooms are fairly big. The ocean view from the balcony is beautiful, so ask for a room facing the beach. The staff at breakfast is really good. They are very friendly and look after that you have enough orange juice and coffee all the time which is nice. The buffet in the morning is enough and it tastes good. I wish they would include an omlette in the buffet. Also there was no cheese or ham and I would like to see a little bigger variety of fruits separately from one another to not take a cup of different fruits and only pic the ones you want and throw away the rest.
Unfortunately there is no vending machine only a little variety of overpriced candy next to the reception.j
The beds are super comfortable, very big Plus for that! The bathroom is okay, nothing special about it.
The gym has weights up to 50lbs, they should increase it to at least 75lbs but thats just me.
The beach is right outside the hotel so that's nice. If you have a car you can drive to bigger malls to do some shopping.
Overall I enjoy the stay a lot. If you ask me the price is too high for what you get. that's why I rate it 4 out 5 stars.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Flossy91

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stays. Your suggestions are good ones and have been taken under advisement. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and the oceanfront view. I hope that means you'll come see us again the future.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel on several occasions and our recent stay did not disappoint. The hotel is located a few blocks from the more congested area of the boardwalk making it more quiet yet extremely accessible to local attractions, restaurants, bars, etc. The hotel is well maintained, the rooms and public areas are clean, the restaurant is good and the bar has a lovely view of the ocean. What makes this hotel special is the staff. They are always pleasant and go out of their way to be as helpful as possible. I highly recommend that you check it out.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dan R
Tia M, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Thank you for your wonderful comments about our staff. It is great to hear they were able to make your stay special and enjoyable. I hope that means we will get to see you and your family in the future!

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Thank you to the Sheraton for a wonderful weekend stay. The bedding was so comfortable. The room was clean, with a balcony and great ocean view. The food at the restaurant was excellent. My husband is still raving about the crabcakes. Last, but not least, the staff was pleasant, knowledgeable and helpful. I would stay again, and recommend to friends.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank TBaby1004

I am very happy you had a great stay with us. You can purchase the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper online and the Sheraton website, if you want to take the bed home with you. We can't wait to have you come visit us again.