“A great value, but they shouldn't say Smoke-Free as too much smoke”

Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #29 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chesapeake, Virginia
“A great value, but they shouldn't say Smoke-Free as too much smoke”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stay here off season with our dog frequently and always enjoy our stay, and it will still be our first stop in fall and winter. We will likely avoid May, however, when it's busier, and I wanted to warn others, as they definitely have a problem with their smoke-free hotel policy. I called twice for 2 different guests smoking in the room next door and reported it to housekeeping as well (first guest smoked even after we complained, second guest did not). It comes right into the room through the connecting door, even when stuffing towels around it. Then walking back into the hotel the last night, someone actually dropped a hot, still lit butt right next to me from a balcony above the restaurant, which landed inches away from my dog and me returning from a walk. I couldn't believe it. I looked up to see him entering his room and closing the sliding door. Just a very frustrating stay for someone who cannot be around smoke and trying to stay at a smoke-free hotel. They need to police that better if they want to state they are smoke-free. It would be easy to have a manager or employee routinely walk each floor to check for cigarette (the room next to us actually had cigar and/or cloves in addition to cigarettes! It really stunk) smell and handle it before non-smoking guests must call.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank WithMyDog
Tia M, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am happy to hear we will see you in the fall. But, I apologize you had to deal with other guests and their smoking. We do enforce the policy as best we can by charging the guest a $200 fee when we are notified they had smoked in the room. I hope you have safe travels this fall and winter.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 23, 2014

This hotel exceeded every expectation! The staff was amazingly helpful and friendly. The décor was fresh and up to date. Room was large with plenty of open space and storage. I had a conference rate, but the standard rate was very reasonable for a true ocean front hotel with wide beach access right on the boardwalk. Plenty of free parking in a garage across the street that could accommodate even the largest of SUVs. I spend about 150 nights a year in a hotel mostly for business, and had low expectations, but this place blew me away. It is a beach resort near a naval base so expect noise all night (I was amazed at how quiet things were) but take advantage and join the party.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Steven M
Tia M, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Thank you for telling us about your wonderful stay. It is nice to hear you had such a great time during your work trip. I hope that means you will spend a vacation with us during the summer! Can't wait to see you again.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Hi - I was attending a Couples Retreat from March 28th through March 30th. We arrived a day earlier and stayed at the hotel. I had some concerns with my room - we did not have any heat and the water was not warm. The maintenance staff came to check it out and it was taken care of on the next day quickly. I called and spoke with the front desk staff in particular Marcus Diggs and received an apology and everything was fixed for the remainder of our stay. On the day the conference began which was on Friday, March 28th, I was involved in a car accident when I was on my way back from the Post Office. I was very shaken and was offered nothing but the best service from the hotel. We had to stay an additional night and the rate was honored and we were asked by Mr. Diggs if there was anything else he could do to make our stay more comfortable. This made us feel so good since our car had to be towed back to Baltimore and we had to wait for a rental car on Monday. Having understanding staff made our extra night of inconvenience due to the accident feel so good. The entire front desk staff and housekeeping were very helpful and pleasant especially Mr. Diggs. As a Event Planner, I do a lot of events at the Sheraton in Columbia MD. I was really impressed with the staff and the bellmen who were always was so helpful with our bags and giving us directions to get to other places in Virginia Beach. I just had to take the time to let the management at the Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel know that they have very professional and pleasant staff working for them. Thank you for the quality service and I cannot wait to come back next year for our annual conference.

Room Tip: Oceanfront and the other views are not bad for this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carolyn H
Tia M, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you for telling us about your stay. I am happy to hear all issues were resolved in a timely and that Marcus was able to take care of you when you needed some care and reassurance. We can't wait to see you again next year!
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

Our last stop on the roadtrip ended in Virginia Beach, and we were so happy to find an oceanfront hotel that allows dogs without charging a huge fee. (The room was prepaid when we booked, and I think.after we checked in they charged $25 for our two chihuahuas). It was totally worth it though. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. There was even a microwave in the room which was surprising. We had 90-degree weather so the view was breathtaking. Staff was friendly and helpful. The season hasn't started so it was quiet, and that's why we were allowed to bring dogs on the beach and the boardwalk. (Dogs are not allowed on the beach or boardwalk between Memorial day and Labor day). The only regret we had was that we forgot to get up to watch the sunrise. It's probably very beautiful since the oceanview room faces the east. We will definitely come back and stay here again!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mikitruax
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am happy to hear you had such a wonderful time and we can't wait to see you again. The $25 was an authorization that was placed on the card in case you charged anything to the room. It goes back to the credit card 3 to 5 days after you check out. Have a great summer!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 15, 2014

My sister stayed at the Sheraton to attend the Sonfest concert. The staff was absolutely amazing. Everyone was friendly and helpful. We had one of the cabana rooms. It was worth every penny. We were able to go straight to the beach from our room. LIke a previous reviewer, I could smell a slight odor that probably was attributed to the pets. I'm not a pet owner, so I am probably more sensitive to the smell. My sister, who is a pet owner, didn't notice. Overall, wonderful stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for telling us about your stay. I am happy to hear you and your sister had a great relaxing time. We are a dog friendly hotel and they can walk through the lobby, but our housekeeping department does work very hard to make sure the spaces are clean. I hope we see you and your sister again!
Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

So happy there is an oceanfront hotel that is pet friendly! Will definitely be returning soon. Staff was super friendly, hotel room was spotless! Even with dogs very quiet and relaxing! Hope they continue being pet friendly!

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Jennifer B
Tia M, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Thank you for talking about your wonderful stay. I am happy to hear that both you and fur-friend were able to enjoy the hotel. Our staff loves being a pet friendly hotel, and there is no plan to change anytime soon. We can't wait to see you again in the future!
Chesapeake, Va
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for our first anniversary. Quiet, clean, had fridge and microwave in room and a ocean view. Pool was freezing cold. Chart said 80 but its the coldest heated pool iv ever been in. Had to go pool hopping at another hotel for warmer water. Overall good experience though.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for telling us about your stay. I know the maintenance team checked the pool the night in which you stayed. I am glad the rest of your stay was enjoyable and I hope to see you again in the future.