“Relaxing and enjoyable”

Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #42 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Clean, well decorated, very comfortable. Loved being able to bring my small dog. The staff was excellent. Friendly, welcoming, courteous, helpful. The food was surprisingly excellent. Had a beachfront room, and the view was just beautiful. So relaxing. Comfortable beds with very nice linens. Absolutely spotless. Complaints: No towel bars in the somewhat small bathroom. Also no fan and no mat at the bottom of the tub. Took quite a while to get hot water (room 303). Everything else made up for it, though.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Tia M, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. It is great to hear you enjoyed your time with us and were able to relax with your dog. During our slow season the hot water does take a little longer to get warm, and I apologize it affected your stay a bit. I do hope we get to see you and your dog again in the future!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,002)

Reviewed March 23, 2014

The renovation was beautiful! The staff was courteous, helpful, and, even upgraded our room without asking! It was located right on the boardwalk which was perfect! I would recommend this hotel easily :-)

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us, and I hope we get to see you again in the future.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

This is an older hotel which has seen some largely successful overhauls of their physical plant. There is nothing spectacular about it, but it is more or less pleasant.

However, in my recent stay the hot water failed and management's way of handling it was quite poor. Despite knowing that it was out, many hours into the problem guests were told to "just let it run, it takes a while." The conference I was attending there had a couple of hundred attendees, most of whom were guests. Management never showed up to make a statement, and the numerous opportunities for the staff to commiserate were never seized upon.

Belatedly, after my return home I received a half-hearted apology, promising me the best available rate if I returned. It used that tell-tale phrase, "the problem you may have experienced." Please, the entire hotel was without hot water. And opening with, "I hope we exceeded your expectations" was so out of touch to be laughable.

Problems happen, especially in older hotels. What makes or breaks an experience is how genuinely the management handles them. This time, given this test, it's a fail.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank JFB-Jim

I would like to again apologize for the hot water pump failing during your stay with us. It was a problem that was expected. Because it is an old building the front desk staff does know it can take a few minutes for the hot water to circulate through the entire building and make it to the guests. This why that was first response when called, as they were unaware there was an actual part broken. Afterwards our maintenance staff and management team did try to work very hard to get the issue fixed quickly and to ensure our guests understood we knew just how inconvenient it was to them. I do hope at some point you can give us a second chance. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We've been coming to this hotel several times over the last 30 years. The last time we were here it was tired and run down. This time it was very different. New paint, new carpets, nicely furnished rooms. Ours overlooked the pool and the beach. Our rate included breakfast, the first day the breakfast was all but inedible, eggs that had been sitting for far too long, tired looking sausages, even the bagels looked bad, no fruit (although our server found some for us). They were apologetic and gave us a voucher which we put to good use. The next day someone had woken up, the eggs were great, meats were visually appealing, fresh fruit was there. What a difference a little attention to detail makes. We had a delightful happy hour at the bar one night, they had a one flight of very good wines for $5. They also had $2 fish tacos which were some of the best I have ever had, and excellent wings. The dining room at the hotel overlooks the boardwalk and the ocean and is very appealing. Service was friendly and being the offseason the price was very reasonable. Internet was good, parking was free (at least in the winter). All in all a very good experience which would have been excellent except for the breakfast disaster and the chair in my room missing a wheel. Potentially this is a great property just pay attention to the details folks.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ed T
Tia M, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay and the little things that can help us make it even better. I apologize for the breakfast your first morning with us, and I'm happy to hear they were able to correct it so quickly the next day. It was also very nice to hear you enjoyed the renovation that was done, and the amenities like free parking all year long. We can't wait to see you again in future!

Reviewed February 20, 2014

The lobby, restaurant, common areas and rooms are significantly better than they were a few years ago. Beach out the door is wide and nice. Rooms have balconys. The bar/restaurant is not the scene found at the Hilton 5 blocks away but that is an easy walk if you want to check it out.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank DCdavetravels
Tia M, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Thank you for telling us about your stay. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our newly renovated hotel. It was a big project and everyone worked very hard to make it look brand new and up to date. Our hotel is on the quite side of Atlantic Ave, which means in the winter months we are not very busy. During the summer months there is a huge change and I hope you can come and visit us then.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

My wife wanted to go to the shore for our 35th anniversary and after trying to find a hotel that was pet friendly online I found this hotel and called the 800 number. The CSR was must helpful and even found a way to save us a few more dollars then the internet amount. The staff on arrival was friendly and helpful. The ocean front room was clean and comfortable. Came back from going out to diner for our anniversary to find chocolate covered strawberries and champagne in our room, compliments of the hotel, what a wonderful surprise. Will stay here again on our next visit.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dadgandolf13
Tia M, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Thank you for telling us about your wonderful stay! I am happy to hear we were able to make your anniversary a more special one. We can't wait to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Biz traveler, stayed 9 nights on/off through 2014 (off-season for Virginia Beach). Located in the tourist section of town, sure to be very busy April-October. Every interaction I experienced with the hotel staff was very professional and the hotel is clean and well kept, although I did notice some very minor maintenance details in the rooms. Rooms were very comfortable, easy to heat and cool, equipped with refrigerators and microwaves; keurigs would be a nice luxury touch. Fitness center is very well equipped and equipment is modern, refrigerated washcloths are an awesome insight to guest service. Parking in structure was located very close by and internet service was responsive. No towel racks in baths are aesthetically pleasing but not really functional, even for 1 traveler. Nicely done, Sheraton, I would stay again and recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Robyn Z

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our renovated fitness center powered by Core Performance. I hope you will bring the family for a visit during our summer season so that you can enjoy the beach to it's fullest. It is very nice to hear the great comments and feedback so that we know where we're going right! See you soon!