“Good Stay, Could Have Been Better”

Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #35 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I arrived at the hotel at 3:45PM after driving from New York and was told my room was not ready yet. As SPG, I found that unacceptable, but went to self park my car in their garage across the street. I returned to the lobby and read a local newspaper for a half hour, then was informed I could have a room looking directly out on the pool. Being tired and wanting to shower, I accepted and was given the key to Room 109 in the cabana section. It seemed like an older, un-renovated room, and was also directly opposite the pool bar, but I unpacked and settled in for my 2 night stay.
I had a nice tuna dinner in their poolside venue that evening, and breakfast in the lobby dining room the next morning. I was then out of the hotel all day, and when I returned in the evening I found the room was made up, but no fresh bottles of water were left for me. Yes, I had left a tip for the service and that was gone, so I had to inform the main desk that the water was not replenished. They corrected the oversight and apologized, but a minor detail like this should not have been overlooked. I can't blame the hotel for the fire alarms going off for over a half hour that evening, as that was clearly the work of one of their guests, but it was irritating anyway. I would have rated this stay higher if I didn't have to wait for my room, was given a decent room as an SPG guest, and had the water replaced as customary.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room, avoid first floor cabana rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Robert S
Tia M, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Good evening evandbob!

Thank you for stopping by to tell us about your stay. I am sorry you had to wait a little after our check in time for your room. The cabana side of our hotel is actually the newest addition to our hotel. It was added on during the two year renovation we just completed this past winter. I was happy to hear you enjoyed our Cabana Bar and Grill as well as breakfast in our new Fusion restuarant. Thank you for mentioning the over sight regarding the bottled waters. Even though the front desk was able to fix the issue for you and I will still mention it to the housekeeping manager so she may use it as a training tool. As an SPG member I do hope we get to see you again in the future!

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed here for two nights. Upon checking in, we were told that most guests prefer a room with a "window", and that our previous reserved room, which had a Jacuzzi, had no windows. Thus, they changed our room. Not a big deal, because we had never even heard of rooms without windows, but it would have been nice to ask before giving our room away. We were given a "handicapped" accessible room. Again, not normally a big deal because these rooms are always larger. But in this case, they had NO SHOWER CURTAIN, and the water from the shower covered the bathroom floor and ended up in the hall near the entry door. Ridiculous. Whoever constructed this room had no idea what they were doing. Aside from that, not a bad place. Nothing to write home about, overpriced, but they all are on the ocean. The elevators are absurd. Only two for the entire hotel, and you wait forever - exactly like they were ten years ago. Skip the "free breakfast included" if you get that rate. Go to Pocahontas across the street - it's a thousand times better.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Good evening eaglesclaw,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I apologize the front desk did not ask before moving you into another room before your arrival. They do have every guest's interest at heart and knew the Jacuzzi room would not provide you with a good view. Those rooms have are considered privacy rooms because the tub is out in the room next to the bed. Therefore the window that room does have is over the tub and very small, looking out onto the roof of they hotel. There is no balcony to sit on either. However, I do understand your want to have been consulted first and will take the time to train the staff on that point. I do hope we see you again in the future!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

This was an amazing trip. No Sheraton standards missed. From the time of my first call to the final goodbye. Special thanks to Marcus, Lauren, and Taylor at the Front Office for all their help. And to Stephen in the restaurant.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tia M, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Hello harrisburgco!

Thank you for your praise of Marcus, Lauren, Taylor, and Stephen! As a staff it is wonderful to hear when individuals are standing out from the rest and making someone's stay a great one. I hope we get to see you again in the future!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

The Sheraton is a happy, yellow, medium sized hotel on the boardwalk on the northern side of Virginia Beach. We had a room with two queen beds and a partial ocean view. The room itself was bright, had two large windows, kitchen area (albeit without a kitchen sink), reasonably sized bathroom and comfortable beds. Valet parking was free. The property itself has two outdoor pools and one heated indoor pool. The main outdoor pool was on the beach, but small for a hotel the size of the Sheraton. The indoor pool faced the street, but was nicely heated and lovely nonetheless. There is free wi-fi, bicycle rental onsite, a well-equipped fitness center and a small children’s club. The people couldn't have been any nicer and made you feel more like a guest than a customer. There was a tasty breakfast buffet which came with the room via AAA. Overall, the Fusion restaurant itself, especially with a discount coupon via either “Sunny Day” or the parking tag; provided good food, good atmosphere and value, especially for a resort area. The only problem with the Sheraton was the comparatively small outdoor pools. Everything else was wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Hello ReviewableN,

Thank you for your wonderful review about your stay! I am happy to hear you enjoyed all the updated amenities of the hotel. The renovations over the last two years were very extensive and we love to hear that our guests are enjoying them. I hope you come back to see us in the future!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Great oceanfront hotel. Olivia, the front desk manager was wonderful and easy to deal with. She helped us out and resolved a situation. Our room was nice and the experience was great. The location of the hotel is also a plus, and the valet parking is gratis. The pool is a nice alternative to the beach. This hotel is constantly working to make things better than they already are.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Oliviapop, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton! I am happy to read that you had an overall enjoyable stay and that I was able to assist you in resolving an issue. We couldn't agree with you more that we are constantly striving to improve the quality of our hotel and service, which is why we value any feedback. Thank you again and I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again should you return to the area. Until then, happy travels!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for three nights. We had an oceanfront room with two doubles. It was myself, my wife, our 3 year old son and 5 year old daughter. First thing, the room is small and the bathroom is very small. When we checked in, we had to wait 15 minutes for a bellboy, which was a bit annoying. We got up to our room and noticed the refrigerator coils were frozen. We immediately called the front desk and they sent maintenance up quickly, however, he said it should be fine and that he's seen them worse. I didn't want to take the chance, so I left the refrigerator door open and let it defrost. Problem solved, but not by the Sheraton. The faucet in the shower was loose and pretty much broken, but it was workable. The room was clean and colorful. We did not eat at any of the restaurants onsite. There is both an indoor and outdoor pool. Both were very nice. The parking is free and across the street in a garage, which keeps your car out of the sun. Do expect to wait at the elevators for a while. There were only two of them in our tower. The location is excellent and within walking distance of many restaurants and gift shops. There are bike rentals right at the hotel and you can rent beach chairs and umbrellas right on the beach for about 20 bucks. Overall, it was ok, but I probably would not stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Deannpg

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront Hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you would not choose to stay with us again due to a few hiccups you experienced. I have forwarded each of your issues to the appropriate department head and can assure you and our future guests that they will be taken seriously. Thank you again for providing us with your valuable feedback and giving us the opportunity to improve our services. Happy travels!

Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

I have been to this Sheraton several times and its getting better each time. The problem with this Hotel is it's right on the beach and there are many visitors. There are also quite a handful of platinum level visitors like me who are given late checkout. This causes backup and unfortunately a strain on room availability. My room was not ready and I had to wait 2 hours until after 5pm. Patrick at the front desk bent over backwards to accommodate me during my wait. I was not given a suite upgrade as the hotel was full but stayed in a cabana room. It was clean and bathrooms were nicely done for the size. Sure it's not a "W" or St. Regis but this rateing is for Va. Beach. The relatively new addition of a parking garage. Free and ample parking is a huge plus in Va. Beach, the wifi is free and does not require passwords. If you've been to other Va. Beach hotels they often experience delays and large crowds so as long as you know what to expect then this Sheraton is the right combination for you. There are three pools. An outside pool woth a view of the ocean and a bar-restaurant, an indoor pool with jacuzzi as well as a very small dipping pool with ample seating. This last pool is great for an afternoon tan as its very quiet. The staff is friendly and they have to deal with unreasonable clients on a regular basis. Treat them with respect and they will take care of you.

• Stayed: August 2013
Lauren R, Front Office Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Paneraiguy, Thank you for bringing attention to Patrick he certainly goes upon and beyond for all of our guests to make them feel at home while away. He is a valuable asset to our team here at the Oceanfront. Summertime is quite a busy time that’s why I always advise guests if you’re able to travel in late September thru October the beach is peaceful and weather is still great. We look forward to seeing you again in next travels to Virginia Beach.