“Hits and Misses”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Falls Church, Virginia
“Hits and Misses”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I truly have a true love/hate relationship with this hotel. Our family stays here often, as we enjoy the perks associated with our SPG Platinum status and this is one of only a few Starwood hotels local to my son’s college. The love is for the location, as it is ideally located on a beautiful stretch of beach on the northern end away from most of the madness further south. It is very attractively decorated in vibrant colors and the whole place in general is bright, clean, and very well laid out. While sipping cocktails at their pool bar or outdoor cafe overlooking the beach, I really do feel as if I'm situated at an upscale beach resort in Florida or the Keys, which is really saying something for a mid-Atlantic coastal resort.

More good – The bar and food service staff is exemplary; they all smile ear to ear and cannot do enough for you. As is the case with most Starwood hotels, the restaurants offer a step above the usual hotel restaurant food. In fact, I believe the restaurant and pool café in the hotel are truly the best I've found within walking vicinity. Because of these benefits, we tend not to venture out too far away from the Sheraton VA Beach when visiting, as I do believe it and the surrounding hotels have the best offerings in Virginia Beach.

The Bad – the front desk staff, who time and time again demonstrate they are the anchor weighing down the ship. Among other things, they haven’t a clue as to how to deal with the Sheraton Platinum members. Additionally, we’ve had some spotty maid service during recent visits; specifically we found cigarette butts on the balconies of what were designated non-smoking rooms (smokers, why do you do this???)

Were it not for these and a few other glitches related to the Virginia Beach Resort area in general, this would truly be one of my favorite beach hotels on the mid-Atlantic Coast.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Sassy T
Saabirah L, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for pointing out the highlights for our hotel. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed our location, the bar and food service, and pool café. As for the bad, I apologize and thank you for pointing out area that we can do more training in and improve our SPG program.

We hope you see improvements in our service during your next stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
franklin
Reviewed May 22, 2013

When they say pet friendly hotel, they mean it. From the time I started making my calls to ask questions and get reservations with this lovely gentleman named Patrick till the time we arrived and checked in they have been more then accommodating. This hotel is all new and updated. The location is great. The Staff from the bell boys the valets the cleaning staff, reservation everyone went out of their way to help us. I definitely can't wait to come back to stay here again.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 303 Oceanfront room and loved it
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Saabirah L, Front Desk at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Kim,
I am very happy to hear about your stay. Our team greatly appreciates your kind words and will be more than happy to welcome you again here at the Sheraton Oceanfront!
VA
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Went the weekend of May 10-11, 2013 for a conference. Arrived around 2:30pm on May 10th. Front driveway was full and it was difficult to park or get someone to help with luggage. One male valet worker was way beyond rude and demanded that we pull around again and get in the back of the line. One of our passengers was really sick and needed to get inside the hotel. NO ONE would help us. My friend ended up unloading the entire car by herself and started to push the cart inside and THEN we were offered assistance to push the cart upstairs. We declined and the rude employee said "fine then, do it yourself." The hotel was just okay, even though this hotel had supposedly undergone a major renovation. Our room wasn't completely clean. Hair and some bugs on the floor in the bathroom. Due to the illness of our colleague, we chose not to call the front desk since we would only be there one night. Check in staff was nice. Amenities in the room were not impressive. I would've thought they would have had glassware and nice shampoo/soap items. Big plus was the Starbucks coffee in the room. I may stay at the hotel again if the conference was there again, but for no other reason.

Room Tip: Ask for an oceanfront on the 13th floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hello,
I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Starbucks coffee in the rooms we also offer Starbucks at the breakfast bar. Thank you so much for your feedback on our valet service, management has been notified. We hope you chose to stay with us again!
Louisa, VA
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

We had reservations for an oceanfront king room, with a request for high level floor away from the elevator (for less noise). We arrived around 4 pm and went to check in. The desk clerk promptly statesstated they were overbooked on these rooms, and would we consider non oceanfront king withwith jacuzzi tub for half the room rate. We thought we'd give it at try.

Got the room on the 3Rdrd floor, and found it to be small and dreary. There was literally no natural lighting, no window and seemed like we were in a dungeon. Pretty unacceptable for a couple days at the beach.

We went back to front desk to retract our agreement, which the clerk begrudgingly did. We offered to take a queen room if that would help. She said it wouldn't since they were trying to reserve the king and queen waterfront rooms for guests checking in later. What??

She finally have us our king waterfront room, on the first floor, next to the elevator, and right outside of the pool and bar. I'm pretty certain this was a passive-aggressive move on her part, but we were not going to cause any more ruckus over it.

The room itself is roomy and clean. I may be biased since I'm typically a "Marriott" person , but we're here for a conference, so this will do, but I gotta tell you so far, I'm not impressed with Sheraton's customer service! I may change my mine by the end of our stay, and if so, I will update this review. Otherwise, you can expect decent rooms, but less than courteous front desk service at this hotel.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Mary J
Dear Mary,
I do apologize for the situation that you were put into. Sometimes our computer system can glitch and cause and overbooking, this happens rarely but unfortunately it can happen. Our king suites are located in our cabana level and the first floor suites which are located right off the pool for easy access to the outdoor pool which can cause some noise to travel into the rooms. I am glad we could get you into a room that was a good size and thank you for pointing out what a great job our housekeeping team does, they work hard to make our guests comfortable. We would love to have you back if you visit the area again to show you how great our team really does work as a whole.
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel several times over the last year and keep coming back due to the great service at both the restaurant and bar. The staff that provides service is always pleasant and creates an almost family like atmosphere. A particular delight is the service we get each time Samantha waits tables or tends the bar at both the inside and outside locations. We always seek her out wherever she is tending. She is always polite, friendly, and down rite easy to converse with. Myself and my wife will continue to hang out at the beach with hopes that Sam is servicing the Sheraton restaurants and bar.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lisa L
Dear Lisa,
Thank you for your loyalty! I’m so glad to hear about your delightful experience with us. I will be sure to personally pass on your warm hearted words to Samantha. We look forward to your return.
Rochester, New York
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The receptionists (Patrick and Tia) at check-in were very pleasent and helpful. We had a ocean front room, it was also nice having the small fridge and microwave. We also had breafast at the Fusion (hotel) which was excellent but a bit pricey).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Janet,
Thank you for your excellent review. Patrick, Tia, and the rest of our team would love to have you stay with us again. I see that you are from Rochester, NY we currently have six interns from RIT with us for the summer. Hope to see you soon!
Washington, DC
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and two children (6 yo and 3 yo) stayed at this hotel May 4-5, 2013. It is a very nice and convenient hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful. I can't wait to visit again when it is warmer! The only downside is the kids' clubroom was very messy and disorganized. There were wet, dirty swim trunks on the table. And very few of the games had all of the pieces. If it was warmer outside, we probably would not have visited the kids' clubroom but since it was freezing we ventured downstairs. A lot of different options but the dirt and disorganization was really disappointing.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade or pay a little extra for an oceanview.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Lauren R, Front Office Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
NAD_DCTraveler, Weather has improved since the beginning of the month, summer is here! Thank you for your feedback regarding our Kid’s Club. Since your visit we have begun replacing many of the games and activities. Throughout the summer we do have a Kid’s Club Coordinator doing a variety of fun projects each week. We look forward to hosting your next family vacation.