“A good BIG difference” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #29 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Gloucester City, NJ
“A good BIG difference”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

When I wrote most of this we had just gotten back from The Sheraton Oceanfront Virginia Beach. Let me start by saying that we have been going to this hotel on and off for the last eight years, so I would say I’m pretty knowledgeable of the hotel and the problems that were taking place. We stayed from June 29 to July 7, 2012. Unlike most we had the opportunity to stay in three rooms. Our choice. Our first room was one of the cabana rooms. They have added balconies which made the rooms maybe six inches to a foot shorter. Not a huge difference other than the fact that you now have a balcony. It's quite a nice trade off from the old rooms with just floor to ceiling windows, if you ask me. We spent one night in this room.
For the next three nights we stayed in one of the king handicapped suites. It's very nice with 2 rooms overlooking the pool. Two problems with this room, one, no chest of drawers (the hotel is working on figuring this one out), but we just put the pillows on the shelf under one of the nightstands and used the shelf in the closet to put our clothes on to unpack, and the fact that it sits over the pool. The cabana rooms are great for families, but if you are older or wanting to get away from the kids and noise for any length of time I do not recommend these rooms. Do not get me wrong we really enjoyed the room, (the room itself was very quiet with the door closed) and if you do not want to use your balcony during peak summer dates I would jump at that room again.
For the final four nights we checked into a tower oceanfront room. Ahh! , A balcony that we could sit out on and not listening to the screaming kids. The rooms have been remodeled and are very inviting. The bathrooms did not change that much, but I found the shelf that had been added under the sink much nicer than the metal racks that used to be there. By the way for the people that are complaining the balconies are not safe, take another look. They are made of metal and very strong. Trust me I have seen a lot of children and teenagers in the hotel over my stays there.
I love the pool. It is now a straight pool with a fountain in the middle. Where it is located, it now gets a great deal of sun, much more than before, so it is warm enough to get into and swim in. Not one child had a complaint about the pool the entire time we were there. They were in it from 10AM until 10PM. The one thing the hotel could do is make some adult only time for the pool. No children.
Mind you I have grown children and a grandchild. My children were never allowed to behave in the way that many parents allowed their children to behave. Screaming and yelling in the dining room to the point that they were asked twice to take the child out of the dining room, but the parents were too self centered and absorbed to care about all the other people that were paying their way as well. But the hotel cannot be blamed for this.
Many thanks for another great vacation go out to too many people for me to count, but at the bar Patty is the best with Skip a short distance behind. We enjoyed all the bartenders but go way back with these two. The front desk did a wonderful job accommodating us and our wanting to change rooms. Especially Olivia, poor woman probably wishes I would never come back. The management and staff of this hotel really goes out of their way to make it a great vacation, summer, fall, winter or spring. Thanks for making it a special place to visit.

Room Tip: If you want to sit on the balconey and really enjoy the sound of the ocean, ask for a room in the to...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lauren R, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Lynrichsr, Thank you for your loyalty to the hotel being that you have been repeat guest for so many years. All of your comments and reviews on our several room types are appreciated. We have been able to work out all the kinks in the new design of our guest suites with the addition of dressers. I’m glad to hear that you like all of the renovations that we have done to the rooms and pool. With your trip for next summer you will be able to experience the completion of our second phase which includes all of the public spaces within the hotel and the addition of a parking garage.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed three nights at the Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel (Virginia Beach) in connection with a conference.

The bed was fine and the stay was not at all an unpleasant experience, however the hotel looked a little old and worn down, most of the personnel were there for the money - not for the guest and the gym is really not that exciting.

My colleagues stayed at the Hilton 3 minutes down the street. All though the Hilton is also not a new hotel it seemed to be in a better shape, the personnel seemed more energetic and the activity level / atmosphere seemed more vibrant.

The only very good experience from the Sheraton was the view to group of dolphins playing in the ocean right outside the breakfast restaurant. Had they not showed up then I would have rated the Sheraton 1-notch lower.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Lauren R, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Hbj1973, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I do apologize that our service fell short of your expectations this gives us an opportunity to retrain our staff to better serve the guest. I do invite you back again to stay with us hopefully the dolphins will be back out in the ocean playing.
Flensburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Really helpfull staff which organized an power adapter in the middle of the night, congrets! Got an oceanfront room which was perfect, all seems relatively new. Used the gym freqently, fully equipped and pretty new. What went wrong was the confirmation for my return limousine to the airport - but nothing I would place too hi in the air. Fully 4 star hotel - but not more.

Room Tip: Ask for a ocean front room, got a free upgrade
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lauren R, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
CaliforniaSummer_12, Thank you for the response we have an outstanding team here and I am happy to hear the staff was able to accommodate your needs as an international traveler. The views from all of our oceanfront rooms are truly amazing the free upgrades are always an added bonus.
Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Every year for the past four years our annual conference is held at the Sheraton Oceanfront and last year I thought it was time for an upgrade on the hotels decor and fitness room and much to my surprise when I returned this year the entire hotel had been renovated. Everything looked great. I loved the new fitness room and all the new equipment. NIce job and I can not leave out the staff, they are always great.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Tonya L, as a repeat guest I’m happy to hear you took notice of all the hard work we have done to improve our hotel. Hopefully you will be back again next year to see the completion of our second phase of the renovations.
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

The Sheraton was a great buy for the price. Rooms had been newly renovated and were great. Enjoyed a wonderful oceanfront room on the boardwalk. Could walk to many local attractions.Many restaurants are located in walking distance. Conference rooms and food were good size and provided a great atmosphere.

1 Thank Jennifer P
Jennifer P, It’s nice to hear a guest make such compliments on our location and value. We pride ourselves on having one of the better locations on the beach, close enough to all the happenings without all the noise and crowds. Thank you for the review!
Charles City, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I have stayed at the Sheraton Oceanfront twice before. This time I was on business and they had just finished an overall remodel of the property. The changes I saw resulted in a modern, stylish and crisper look. My room had wonderful pictures on the wall that made me feel I was in a high end resort instead of a hotel room. The beds were amazing giving me a great night's sleep. My fellow conference goers noted they slept well and credited the mattresses too. The fitness room was moved so now you can look outside while you are on the workout equipment. The hotel's location is perfect - close enough to walk to Catch 31 and Turtoga - two restaurants worth check out. Being at 36th Street and Atlantic makes it perfect to walk to the music festivals held at 31st and also King Neptune's statue. The staff has always been professional and helpful. That hasn't changed. This time I took my small dog and the staff was super accommodating to her needs too. I couldn't have expected or asked for more. I will stay there again for sure.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny but the view is of the city scape. Frankly, the oceanfront rooms c...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gina P, Great to hear from a repeat guest! With our renovations we wanted to give our hotel a fresh new look, bringing it into the more modern age. Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds are the best you can actually go to our website and purchase one if you want to a great night sleep every night! We welcome you back next time your in town.
Drakes Branch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel back in 2010, and when an unexpected business trip came up we jumped at the chance to get another night at the beach at the Sheraton Oceanfront. Since our last stay we could see the remodeling that they have done. The rooms which were nice before seem even more spacious and of course clean and comfortable, the hallways are also brighter, cleaner and have televisions at the elevators so that you can catch up on the news/weather/sports while you wait. Great addition. We travel everywhere with our two "children" (a Bassador and a German shepherd/bloodhound/ terrier mix). They are always made welcome in the hotel. We highly recommend the Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel to all of our friends and family whenever they are looking for 'the place" to stay in Virginia Beach. Karen and Mike Burke

Room Tip: Our room was lower (we were on the fifth floor this time) than last time but we seemed close to the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lauren R, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
BurkeVirginia, I’m glad your “children” had such a great time down here. We love accommodating our four legged travelers and we see a lot. Thank you for your compliments on the renovations, I do invite you to come back and visits again please don’t forget to bring the kids with you!