“Last day of honeymoon”

Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #42 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We were on our way home from our honeymoon when we decided to get a room at the Sheraton and stay an extra night. The front desk checked us in early and gave us a free upgrade in a gorgeous room! The bar was a little expensive so we ended up going out for drinks. Also, not much of a selection on the menu. Would love to see some new snacky items added to bar menu.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank beachin2011
KTinsman, Guest Services Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2011

Thank you for taking your time to give us feedback regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Oceanfront. I am pleased to hear you chose our hotel for your lodging accommodations during this special time in your lives and glad we could provide you with a complimentary upgrade. We appreciate your input regarding our restaurant Aqua Vi and will take your suggestions into consideration. We are hopeful you will consider staying with us the next time you travel to Virginia Beach. The entire staff of the Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront is eager to have the opportunity to serve you again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,005)

Reviewed October 9, 2011

Guess it was an omen when the outside Sheraton sign on the hotel was not totally lit up. The hotel shows its age which I guesstimate to be 103 years. The carpet in the elevator should be replaced. I don't think this would cost much, but it would aleviate some of the dinginess quality. I was not impressed with the hotel from when I first entered my oceanfront room, but I still had high hopes. Very poor lighting in room. I had to request a replacement lightbulb for lamp near bed, which was delivered promptly. However, the other bedside lamp was a bit wonky, but that was not fixed. The room was not clean. My mother took a bug she found in the room to the front desk and also gave details about the unclean areas of the room. Clerks response was to give her star points and coupons for free breakfast in the hotel restaurant (which were delivered the next day). We would have liked the room to have been cleaned, but that was apparently not an option. I didn't hear any vacuum run during the entire week we stayed there and trust me, the carpets need vacuuming. Room also needed to be creviced by the bathroom and closet where the track is. When we used our free breakfast coupons (and it wasn't totally free as we had to leave a tip), we discovered it was a punishment, not a reward. I can't believe anyone actually pays $13 for that breakfast buffet! The outdoor pools were dirty and looked like they hadn't been cleaned out for quite a while. I never saw anyone in them. I started to get in, but exited when I saw how dirty it was. Indoor pool area: only one whirlpool was operational. The second time we used it, it was not hot so I went to use the phone to call the front desk. Phone did not work! I had to walk to front desk and told clerk phone didn't work and whirlpool wasn't hot. She didn't bat an eye about the phone, but said she'd call maintenance about the temp. Maintenance soon came, but it would take a while to warm up. Have they not heard of a thermometer and testing the water? Virginia Beach is near an naval air station and there were frequent low LOUD flyovers by jets. Not exactly the nice peaceful atmosphere I was expecting or wanted. Location is right on the boardwalk. Not all dog owners pick up after their dogs so I would suggest to hotel that they have plastic bags available outside (since hotel allows dogs). This might help with the dog waste that was piling up towards the end of our stay. i don't understand why owners can't put a bag in their pocket and trash cans are right there so it couldn't be easier. I picked up after my dog, but not everyone did. Overall we were very disappointed with our stay. We thought Sheraton was a premium hotel brand and for the amount we were paying we definitely expected more. There was an overall lack of care by the front desk and housekeeping staff. I cannot recommend this hotel and will not return to it or Virginia Beach.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

We certainly appreciate you taking the time to express your concerns regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I was sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations in several areas.

It is our goal to consistently provide the highest quality in both product and service, and it is vital to our continued success to know when we have fallen short of our own high standards. Let me simply say that all of us here at the Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront Hotel are committed to providing a much better and more pleasant experience for our guests than what you had the misfortune of experiencing.

Again, I certainly appreciate your taking the time to inform us of the inadequacies you experienced during your stay. I sincerely hope that you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our true level of hospitality and interest in serving you properly.

Reviewed October 3, 2011

We frequent VA beach during summer, but mostly for day trips. We decided to stay overnight this year. We always walk by this hotel and think it looks good from the outside. I think this is where the plus ends.

Plus: close to the beach and looks good from the outside

Minus: Lack of maintenance everywhere inside the hotel. The sliding door in the room was rusty and got stuck all the times. The sheets had blood stains on them (gross!). When the AC kicks on, it would wake you up from sleep because it's very loud. There was a big hole in the wall in the indoor pool. I sat in a chair watching peeling paint falling off the ceiling into the pool because there is too much debris in the outdoor pools. The elevators are so slow and crowded that we usually had to wait at least 15 mins.

Summary: I feel bad for people paying $200+/night for this hotel. Thank god that I got it for free from points.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
KTinsman, Guest Services Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2011

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Oceanfront. It is not only our goal to meet but exceed every guest's expectations. I am sorry to hear we were not able to achieve that goal during your stay. We will take all of your comments into consideration in hopes to improve towards the future. We pride ourselves on our customer service and I hope our associates were able respond to your concerns in a timely and proficient manner. Please keep in mind our hotel will be undergoing renovations starting next month and I hope you will return to see the finalized and improved product. Thank you again!

Reviewed October 3, 2011

We were here for a conference. As a Starwood Platinum, we were upgraded to what I would call the best suite we have ever had given to us in the US by a Starwood Hotel. It included two very large rooms, separated by double doors, a very comfortable king size bed, a large bathroom, a make-up table, 2 TVs ( one flat panel), refrigerator and a microwave…and a 2 balconies (one per room) each with great view of beach ( immediately below) and ocean. Since they were remodeling lounge, they gave us 2 free breakfast buffets each day. Buffets were better than average. We did not try other meals at restaurant because menu seemed too limited…particularly in terms of fresh fish and beef ( this was our only disappointment). There always was plenty of hot water in shower (though flow was limited for “green” reasons). Elevators were always quickly available. Staff was great at all levels.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Oceanfront. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade to our presidential suite and complimentary breakfast buffet in Aqua Vi as a Starwood Platinum member. Your comments regarding the restaurant menu are very much appreciated and I will make sure they are forwarded to the proper department heads. Thank you for choosing our hotel for your lodging needs during your conference and we hope we will be seeing you again soon!

Reviewed September 28, 2011

My future wife & I were there for a few days before our business trip back to NYC. The hotel's location is so perfect close to everything. You can actually wake up and see the ocean on your bed. Be careful choosing a higher floor if you don't want to hear wind noise. The hotel was super clean and staff very friendly. The FREE internet was fast enough to check work emails. No negatives!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
KTinsman, Guest Services Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2011

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront Hotel. I am very glad you experienced friendly service and that you enjoyed the beautiful view of the Atlantic from your guest room. Thank you for your feedback and we are looking forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Reviewed September 23, 2011

Overall this hotel is a good value for the location - right on the beach. The restaurant is not the greatest and frustratingly the internet was spotty (after you paid for it!). Nice to be a little north of the main VA Beach strip, but still walking distance to it. Staff was very accommodating.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
KTinsman, Guest Services Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2011

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel in Virginia Beach. We appreciate all feedback in hopes to improve our hotel to meet each guest's standards. I apologize for the issues you experienced with our internet services and hopefully the connection can be amended and improved. We are pleased to hear our staff was helpful and hope if future travels bring you back to the area you will consider our hotel again. Thank you again for choosing the Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel.

Reviewed September 19, 2011

My family and I spent the last week of summer at this hotel and had a great time. We came right after Hurricane Irene hit and except for some wet carpeting and a little musty smell in the room, you would never know that a class 1 hurricane just hit the property. What really made this hotel stand out was the level of service that the employees provided. From Jessie Walsh at the front desk who treated us with a smile when we arrived and effortlessly changed our room when we weren't satisfied to Tom in the restaurant who was ready for us each morning to serve my family of 7 to Beverly in housekeeping who cleaned up our room (and that's not easy considering that my oldest is only 13).
We had a great view of the ocean and the room was nicely appointed. I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Ocean view is great- even the low floors (you can enjoy the boardwalk)
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank micoope

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent family stay at the Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel in Virginia Beach. Thank you for being so understanding regarding the conditions of the rooms after the Hurricane and for choosing to keep your reservations at our hotel. We pride ourselves in providing exceptional customer service to our guest's and are pleased to hear that the named associates took care of your every need. Thank you again for your kind words and we hope you will return next summer.