“Best of VA Beach!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Best of VA Beach!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

First of all, I love pretty much all Sheraton hotels. I'm not including partner hotels, but every Sheraton I've stayed at has been a great experience (Chicago, Houston, VA Beach, NY, etc.). One of the best aspects of all Sheraton hotels is the pet policy. Rarely do you find a hotel that has such a great, open-door policy toward dogs. And I love my dogs like family! The Sheraton Oceanfront in VA Beach is right off the boardwalk. Simply step out of the hotel and you're on the beach. Couldn't be easier. It's located close to dining, shops, and everything you'll need is within walking distance. The amenities are nice, too.

I stay at this hotel every year when I run the Shamrock Marathon and it's a perfect location for both starting and finishing the event. When I was there most recently, I ordered room service and was very pleased with both the casesar salad and chicken club. My only problem while staying this most recent time was with internet access. It does cost about $10/day for wireless access to your room. I purchased access in the morning and it was disconnected by the afternoon. Aparently a "day" counts as ending at checkout time, so if you're staying more than one day, you might have consider when you purchase your wi-fi. However, I called the AT&T hotline and they corrected the balance.

I can't say enough good about this hotel.

Room Tip: Go ahead and splurge for the oceanfront or jacuzzi rooms. Well worth it!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

We used spg points to stay 4 nights, get the 5th night free. Used 28,000 points for 5 free nights (no resort fee or taxes or parking fee - $0!). The hotel was beautiful. Walk right out the back door and you are on the beach. Can't beat that! Parking is kiddy-corner across the street from the hotel, very close. There is a small fridge and microwave in the room. There are 2 pools, one basic (but with pretty dolphins in tile on the bottom) and the other with a little bar and a very shallow spot to walk in. The only thing I would change is to have one pool be adults only. We went in the summer, which is of course peak season so we didn't get an upgrade in our room for being Gold Members. But we had made a reservation for my neice and her boyfriend who visited for a night, and their room was upgraded, so that was nice. Lots of great restaurants within walking distance (Pi-Pizzeria, The Mayflower, Pelon's Baja Grill). Also, the hotel provided free oceanfront yoga one morning! We will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Poolesville, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

When we arrived at the beach, everything that could have gone wrong with this hotel, did! I was so pissed off at the hotel and made it clear to them that I would never be returning. As a reservation under a Starwood owner (my parent's), I expected a little more accommodations but was completely wrong. Here's what happened:

We made our reservation about 6 weeks in advance through Starwood and requested a king size bed, floor/ground level/pool side room. This was because the rooms opened up to right next to one of the pools and we wouldn't have to (1) use the elevators with our huge quad stroller and (2) when my 8.5 month old triplet girls were napping we could still sit at the pool with still being right there with the girls and the monitor. Also, I requested two cribs. Having triplets and traveling would be hard enough and so I tried to make everything as easy as it could possibly be!

I called NUMEROUS times, almost weekly to ask a question or something and would always confirm our floor/ground level/pool side room with two cribs and a king size bed! I changed our reservation ONCE to two cribs and a roll-away (when we decided to bring my younger sister with us) about two weeks prior and was told it was no problem!

I called Monday afternoon (we were set to arrive Wednesday AM) to make sure everything was ok with the hotel since hurricane Irene had just slammed the hotel and beach and was told everything was just fine and I of course confirmed our floor/ground level/pool side room with a king bed, two cribs and a roll-away! I was told that time and every single time I called, "yes, ma'ma, everything is confirmed and correct, we look forward to your stay."

So, when we were about an hour away (around 11:30am) I called to say we would be arriving soon and was there an option for early check-in, and was told that it could be a possibility but they would know better when we arrived, which was totally fine as I had packed a "day bag" with everything we needed for the beach/pool for the afternoon. It really wasn't a big deal if we couldn't get into our room until 4pm, as I was ready to enjoy some sun!

When we arrived, my husband and I walked in the lobby to check-in, so we could get a parking pass to park there at the hotel while we went to the beach. As the lady was writing the pass, I said, "ok, so about 4pm our room should be ready, we have a floor/ground level/pool side room." She said, "ok, let me check," and then proceeded to tell me that, nope we we're in "a 3rd floor room with two double beds, and a partial view!!!" ENTER MOMMA FLIP OUT AND EXTREMELY EMBARRASSED HUSBAND! I started explaining to her calmly after taking a deep breath that I never even reserved double beds and I called numerous times for a ground level room/pool side room with a king size bed! She said that all of the ground floor/pool side rooms were still drying after being soaked from the hurricane. I GOT EVEN MORE MAD! I told her that I called on Monday afternoon to confirm my POOL SIDE room and NO ONE, yes NO ONE said or warned me that they might still be wet by Wednesday, nor that THEY WERE WET AT ALL. (Now, side note---if I had been aware of this issue I would have been prepared for the inconvenience and would have reacted totally different!!!) She then said that they could "hopefully" move us to a pool side room on Friday morning...I shook my head in disbelief as I told her that I have infant triplets and would not be moving rooms since we had so much stuff! This conversation of me explaining that my parent's were Starwood owners and this is not acceptable for a Starwood hotel, that I had tried to make everything convenient as it is hard to travel with three infants and so on...and the lady saying nothing more than "I'm sorry" one time and then just starring at me like I was nuts! She could have cared less and that made me more mad. I was fuming and I may contribute that to pregnancy but I was seriously so mad! Oh and then I said, "well, do you even have a confirmation of my two cribs and a roll-away," and THEN she said, "oh, well we don't have any rooms that will fit two cribs and a roll-away!" SAY WHAT!?!? Then why the heck did you let me reserve that!?!?!?! And why the heck did you let me confirm that numerous times over the last two weeks?!?! Oh, I was ready to just start laughing at this point! My husband was totally begging me to stop, but I was so angry I knew I needed to leave right away and just turned around and walked away!

I was just so angry and upset that I had worked so hard to make everything go smoothly with 3 infants and yet nothing was working out. So by the time we went back, I just stated again, how upset I was, and the lady barely even acknowledged me! We got our room on the 3rd floor with two double beds with a parking lot/partial view and that was that. Then they brought me a crib and a roll-away when I stated that I would just take the 2 cribs since we had double beds now, but of course no one listened.

The room was small and as nice as it could be, I guess. The bathroom was tiny! Very tiny. The air condition leaked on the balcony, so you couldn't even walk out on the balcony without shoes one. The balcony was right over the air condition until for the entire hotel, so you couldn't put your towels on the railing because they would blow right off and land in the puddles of water from the air condoning unit in the room..yeah, Starwood quality right there! Not to mention, the railing was very flimsy and could not be trusted. Oh, and the duvet had a hole in it, but the beds were very comfy, I will say that!

Within the hotel, the breakfast buffet, for $13 dollars a person was HORRIBLE! I have never seen such crap in my life and have seen continental breakfasts at Holiday Inn's that were MUCH nicer and had better food! I waited over 20 minutes from my omelet, of simply eggs and mushrooms! Unacceptable! One of the hot tubs in the indoor pool was empty and not working, not to mention the water was about 55 degrees and therefore freezing! For an indoor pool, that is also unacceptable! The water in both outdoor pools was also freezing, but I understood why since they had just received about 12 inches of rain. The zero entrance at one of the pools was nice, but some days it was filthy and no one seemed to notice it to clean it. The main lobby bathroom was VERY small, along with the beach floor bathroom and totally not conducive for changing if you wanted to go to the beach, and we reorted to changing in our car the first day, since our room wasn't ready.

The bike path right in front of the hotel was like a freeway! Don't think a pregnant woman with a quad stroller would stop anyone! Man, it was like crossing the highway each time, especially Friday and Saturday!

There is a crane that was over the pool the whole time since the hotel next door is being built. This didn't really bother me as we spent most of our time at the beach but still it was annoying to hear the dump trucks and such all freakin' day long!

The Sheraton sign was missing some covers to the letters--I don't know if that was from the hurricane or if it had been like that from before. Makes for an ugly look though, but I can understand if it was just from the hurricane a few days before.

I had read on my favorite travel website, Trip Advisor, that the two elevators were very slow, and they sure didn't let down! We had to wait 15-20 minutes some days to go down in the elevator! It was horrible and super hard to keep the girls entertained in the stroller while just waiting in the halls. Oh and speaking of the halls--they reaked of cat/dog pee! It was foul! For a "pet friendly hotel" I found that disgusting and each time getting on and off the elevator it hit you like a ton of bricks!

The pros to the hotel: The beach is right there, barely a few steps which was very nice! There were always plenty of towels for guests to use at the beach/pool. The lady who cleaned our room each day was so nice! I loved her. She asked us everyday if we needed more of something since we had the babies and came in and said hi to the babies each day and said how beautiful they were. I tried to be in the room when she came so that I could disgaurd of all our diapers and baby food containers/bottle liners, so she woulnd't have to do all the extra work. I just felt bad because our room was like a maze with how much stuff was in there!

All and all it was a fun week/weekend because after the first day I just wasn't going to let the inconvinences bother me anymore. I will not be returning to this hotel and will advise anyone I know not to go there. I will also be writing a letter to the hotel and to Starwood explaing my dissapointment within this stay. I will say that before I left, I read almost every single review and said to myself that everyone has their own opinions and since I travel often and have been many places, I would make my own judgement, as I do with every place I stay. I can honestly say that I have never had the experience I had here anywhere else in the world.

For food, we went to North End Pizaa--delicous! We got a pizza and an Italian sub, so yummy and very close to the beacj for lunch!! Also, went to Chick's Oyster Bar--about 13 miles away and pretty good. Small portions I thought, but good atmosphere. Dough Boys--ok, nothing special, went to the one on 30th street (I think), service was great though. Beach Bully BBQ (or something like that) sooooo yummy and super friendly, off of 19th street, if I remember correctly! The dinner was really good and so cheap compared to DC prices! Four adults ate for about 40 bucks and huge portions!

Room Tip: Don't stay on pet floor if you don't have pets!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2011

Well, there is some room for inprovement. I stayed there for two nights. Front desk staff was nice, even tho they game me hard time making my reservations and it took me 4 calles to finally put it in. But they were nice and welcoming when I arrived but I was not even asked if I'd like to add my starwood number to my reservation. But in general every FD staff member was helpfull and very welcoming. They earned a huge plus for completing a request within 5-10 minutes. The hotel itself is nice but the pools are way smaller than it seems in pictures. Plus they are not really cleaned, there was always something in water.:(
What I didn't like:
1. Housekeeping didnt really do a good job. I found several needles and stains in my bathroom right after I checked in. The second day- the maid cleaned my room and did not leave any soap, lotion, shampoo, NOTHING. But took my half-used ones...The last day, I had 2 pm check out and put DND on my door, so guess what, I sew a maid next to my room like every 5 minutes waiting for me to check out and when I finally left my room, she stopped me in a middle of the hallway and asked if I checked out already! Really?? I dont appreciate it. Also my room service tray was in a hallway for a day, I called twice and asked for it to be finally taken away, there was a HK cart parked outside of my door all the time. The houseman started scrubbing my door from outside while I was in my room...really, dont they get a print out of all occupied rooms for a day?
2.I supposed to get an ocean view room but instead got a pool view with the french windows so anyone can see through them, especially on a second floor. But I liked my room in general, they have just awesome pillows! I also liked the decor and free fridge in the room.
3. Someone from the restaurant called me twice asking for my credit card while I put down cash. I had to get out of my bed, get dressed and walk down to the front desk at 10 pm with my credit card and...next morning I found out that they actually didnt need my credit card coz there was enough cash left...are you serious???? Plus...they did not offer me as a Crestline Employee my 50% discount card for the restaurat, neither a StarHot discount was given to me. And on top of this I didnt get any points...
4. There is NO beach chairs for the guests at all, not even single one.
5. Free computer to use...is a headache, you can do nothing, their security programs blocked even my email and simple directions web site.

All in all, the biggest plus of this hotel is the Ocean, it is super close, right on a beach so you can leave your room and go swimming, I loved the hotel, friendly FD staff and probably be back. But there are things they have to work on just so people will keep comming back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Hopwood, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

My family and I have had the pleasure of spending one of the most enjoyable weeks in VA beach at this beautiful , enchanted hotels. I should have entiteled this no other staff will compare or could hold a candle to these folks. My husband and I have been going to VA beach for 13 years now , there is not a resort or hotel that has the charm and the staff of gold like the Sheraton. We feel it was a pleasure to be treated like family by Skip , De . and the most remarkable manager as well as restaurant staff. I could go on and on but I will not I think you get the point. If you looking for charming andf excellent customer services and truly want to enjoy your vacation then follow my advice. They just hosted my daughters beach wedding as well so if you also looking for some place to host that special event again highly recommend. You will be writing the same review I just did. Thank you again Sheraton.
Warm regards,
Robin & Gary Moore

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Uniontown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

I can not say enough good things about the Sheraton at Va Beach Oceanfront! Customer Service is their specialty, and every employee we worked with went above and beyond to make our stay memorable. The price was well wroth every bit of our stay! Kudos to Skip, Dee, Olivia, and Charlene who made our wedding and dinner exceptional! We will never stay at another resort! And for those of you who say it is dated??? I would take dated over the poor service we have received at every other facililty, I dont find it as "dated" as I read in other reviews and the beds are heavenly! Thanks to you Sheraton!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

I stayed for four nights because the location worked for our plans. We had water damage in our room which was causing a moldy smell, the pool area is in need of a rehab, the elevators were not working, every day the room keys would quit working, the bathroom supplies were not replaced, the AC unit ran constantly which was quite loud and the restaurant had rotted fruit on the buffet! So not what I expected from a Sheraton! I
Shared all of my concerns with the front desk and they told me a manager would call me back and no one ever did. Do not stay here. I payed $300 a night for this fiasco of a hotel. Spend less some where where they care about the guests!

• Stayed September 2011