“Disappointed with the Days Inn at the Beach”

Days Inn Virginia Beach at the Beach
Ranked #49 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed July 19, 2008

We had never been to Virginia Beach and relied on the ratings at Trip Advisor for hotel choice. The Days Inn seemed to be a good value for based on the comments. After staying there, I have to say I was disappointed.

Location: Very Good
We knew it was not directly on the beach and in the south section of the beach. After going north on Atlantic in the evening, we realized how quiet and peaceful our area was in comparison. It was probably about 150 yards to the beach from the hotel. Of course the boardwalk was even closer and a great asset to the beach. Restaurants around the hotel were plentiful (we really liked Il Giardino). Beach shops were also plentiful. There was a coffee shop connected to the hotel (we didn't use it) and a ice cream store on the property (didn't go there either).

Room: Fair
I'm usually not real picky about a room at the beach because we don't spend much time in the room. This room did not live up to my limited expectations. There was a hole in one of the comforters and the mattresses felt worn out. The bathroom vent fan sounded like it was dying. The room looked like it needed a good make over 5 years ago. The door would stick when trying to close and took a good shove to completely close. We were on the 3rd floor in a section that had a direct ocean view and I don't believe our room had been updated like others had mentioned in reviews. Note that this view will be gone next year when the hotel across the street is completed. If you choose to stay here, you might ask for a room in the main section of the hotel that faces the pool. I think those rooms might have been updated recently and have better beds.

Staff: Fair
I mentioned some of the problems with the room to the front desk the first night and asked for a room overlooking the pool if available. They said the hotel was full that night, but they could have open rooms the next day and would call. I never got a call. Also went in to ask the front desk about trolleys that are a great way to get around the beach. Neither person knew enough to help us in any way. Housecleaning left us a wet towel our first night and unmade beds on one day. They also left our door slighly open one day (see sticking door problem above).

Facilities: Good
Hotel is older, but seems to be maintained ok. The pool area was nice with a waterfall feature that has been shown in some pictures by others. The pool seemed very clean. Hot tub didn't seem to be working properly while we were there. Didn't use the workout room or the internet room. There was a laundry room on the 3rd floor that was a big help on keeping clothes under control.

Overall: Fair
The breakfast was good for continental. 6 cereal choices, fruit, waffles, french toast, bagels, doughnuts, juice. Breakfast was very busy from 8 - 10; you might consider going between 6 - 8. Free Wi-fi worked ok in the room when sitting by the window. My main problems were with the quality of the room and helpfulness of the staff. For $150/ night to stay across the street from the beach, I guess I expected better. I would consider several other hotels in the $150/night price range before staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Days Inn Virginia Beach at the Beach

Reviewed July 2, 2008

I stayed for 1 night with my husband and twin sons. It wasn't bad, but there were some issues that i found.

There were gnats or little flies in the room which drove me nuts. I also saw them in the internet room. Not sure if it has something to do with the weather because I also saw some at the Pizza Hut on Pacific and 20th Street.
Also, no matter how we put the shower curtain there was always a flood on the bathroom floor.
The dust ruffles on the beds were old and worn and had hairs attached to them.
The exterior hallways leading from the elevator to the rooms was very narrow and difficult to manuever with luggage and also when the housekeepers' carts were in the hall.

That being said, the location was great. Ample parking. Near everything. Close enough to the beach. Breakfast was more than adequate. Pool was very nice (jacuzzi was not filled though). Staff was friendly. Enough channels on the tv. The beds were comfortable.

So, it wasn't bad but it could have been better. But, for the price and location, it was a good value

Reviewed June 27, 2008

If your priority is a fairly reasonable beach rack rate ($129 per night during stay) with an ocean view, then you're in luck. Until 2009, anyway, when the Hampton Inn across the street is finished. At that point, you'll lose your ocean view. If your priority is a comfortable bed, a reasonably updated motel (all rooms have exterior entrances), with a warm, fuzzy staff, FORGET IT. This motel is not a good value for the money. A two-star accommodation at best. The beds were barely FULL SIZE, and I know because mine at home is a full size mattress. I'm 5'7 and weight 130, not a large gal. My husband and I had a rough time sharing comfortably. The staff is young and can only answer questions based on what they were instructed to say. BEWARE THE CANCELLATION POLICY! One needs to cancel a full 72 hours in advance, even though a Days Inn rewards member, and give 24 hours notice if leaving early once on the property. We were scheduled for three nights and left after two. It wasn't worth the bad back.

1  Thank fooky
Reviewed June 25, 2008

Our family was very pleased with our stay at this hotel. I got our room on a saturday morning by walk in. The staff was friendly and courteous. The room was clean and comfortable. The continental breakfast was great. The pool and hot tub was really nice. We spent most of our time there. The pool has a nice cascading waterfall that isnt on the hotel's website. For my family ( 2 kids 13 and 11), this hotel was everything we needed. We will be back next year.

Reviewed June 22, 2008

There is one word that comes to mind when you enter your room and that word is "DISGUSTING". There were hairs on the sheets, the pillows covers were stained and repulsive, unknown substances smeared all over the wall. The bathroom tiles had mildew and mold. I didn't even want to take my shoes off. You could hardly use the phone because the buttons were sticky and full of gunk and would constantly get stuck. The front desk staff certainly didn't make you feel welcome, that is for sure. After this experience I will never stay at another Days Inn property, ever. I wasn't expecting top of the line, but I did expect the room to be clean. I really can't express how awful this place is...shabby, dirty, and seedy. My advice would be to spend the extra and stay at one of the more respectable hotels on the boardwalk.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2008

We enjoyed our stay. This isn't a five star hotel, but then again, you don't pay a five star price. It isn't a big fancy hotel, but is certainly adequate and was much better than we expected. The rooms are kept clean and are quite spacious. We were in room 411 and had a good view of the ocean. The rooms beginning with 01, 02, and 03 are at the very front of the hotel and I'm sure provide a good view, but they are right in front of the elevator and are probably pretty noisy most of the time. Any room on the fourth floor above with a 04 to 13 on the end will give you a good view from your private balcony. Plus, they look right down on the pool, which was very nice. Two hot tubs and a pool with a waterfall. All the staff were friendly and helpful and the 24-hour front desk is nice for those who need to arrive late or leave early. Plenty of parking and the hotel is near most everything on the boardwalk. Steer clear of the Dairy Queen on the boardwalk though. They have a limited menu and the prices are outrageous. Three chili dogs, three small bags of chips, and three colas cost us almost $23! Go for the McDonalds at the corner of 21st Street and Pacific. Its only two minutes away and is definitely worth saving a few dollars. We ate at the Icehouse restaurant (go two streets down and turn right onto Ninth, go through the light, and the restaurant is about a quarter mile down that road on the left). Good food, but they automatically added on a tip of almost $10 for a party of three. A little steep, but you can get a $25 gift certificate for just $10 at www.restaurant.com. That'll save you $15 anyway.

Reviewed April 7, 2008

A person can nit-pick about any hotel, but this hotel only had 1 flaw that was of no real big deal. We had a room with king size bed, and jacuzzi, and it overlooked the pool, and it had a ocean view. The picture the website gives you is exactly how our room looked. Very clean. The bed was so very comfortable with its pillow top mattress. PLENTY of pillows, leave yours home. They had 6 on the bed. Nice size compact fridge, microwave, iron and ironing board, and cabinets to store your food/plates. The staff down at the office was very pleasant and helpful. Location was great. And the beach just across the street. The only flaw I referred to earlier was...in order to get hot water for the jacuzzi was to turn the hot water on in the bathroom tub...learned that from the guy in the office when I called to complain of no hot water for the jaccuzzi. They had to run at the same time. Took some time for it to fill, but was no big deal. Rates are excellent compared to others, and to ones "on the beach". Heck, I didn't mind walking across the street. Plenty of parking. The complimentary breakfast was also very nice. Cereal, donuts, french toast, pancakes, oj, coffee, bagels, english muffins. I would definitly go back. Best place to go while in Va Beach...FUNNY BONES comedy club. About 10 min away, easy to get to.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple