“Terrible, The Worst, Avoid”

Days Inn Virginia Beach at the Beach
Ranked #53 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
virginia
“Terrible, The Worst, Avoid”
Reviewed June 22, 2008

There is one word that comes to mind when you enter your room and that word is "DISGUSTING". There were hairs on the sheets, the pillows covers were stained and repulsive, unknown substances smeared all over the wall. The bathroom tiles had mildew and mold. I didn't even want to take my shoes off. You could hardly use the phone because the buttons were sticky and full of gunk and would constantly get stuck. The front desk staff certainly didn't make you feel welcome, that is for sure. After this experience I will never stay at another Days Inn property, ever. I wasn't expecting top of the line, but I did expect the room to be clean. I really can't express how awful this place is...shabby, dirty, and seedy. My advice would be to spend the extra and stay at one of the more respectable hotels on the boardwalk.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
Reviewed June 12, 2008

We enjoyed our stay. This isn't a five star hotel, but then again, you don't pay a five star price. It isn't a big fancy hotel, but is certainly adequate and was much better than we expected. The rooms are kept clean and are quite spacious. We were in room 411 and had a good view of the ocean. The rooms beginning with 01, 02, and 03 are at the very front of the hotel and I'm sure provide a good view, but they are right in front of the elevator and are probably pretty noisy most of the time. Any room on the fourth floor above with a 04 to 13 on the end will give you a good view from your private balcony. Plus, they look right down on the pool, which was very nice. Two hot tubs and a pool with a waterfall. All the staff were friendly and helpful and the 24-hour front desk is nice for those who need to arrive late or leave early. Plenty of parking and the hotel is near most everything on the boardwalk. Steer clear of the Dairy Queen on the boardwalk though. They have a limited menu and the prices are outrageous. Three chili dogs, three small bags of chips, and three colas cost us almost $23! Go for the McDonalds at the corner of 21st Street and Pacific. Its only two minutes away and is definitely worth saving a few dollars. We ate at the Icehouse restaurant (go two streets down and turn right onto Ninth, go through the light, and the restaurant is about a quarter mile down that road on the left). Good food, but they automatically added on a tip of almost $10 for a party of three. A little steep, but you can get a $25 gift certificate for just $10 at www.restaurant.com. That'll save you $15 anyway.

• Liked — Great value
  • Disliked — Not unhappy with anything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Maryland
Reviewed April 7, 2008

A person can nit-pick about any hotel, but this hotel only had 1 flaw that was of no real big deal. We had a room with king size bed, and jacuzzi, and it overlooked the pool, and it had a ocean view. The picture the website gives you is exactly how our room looked. Very clean. The bed was so very comfortable with its pillow top mattress. PLENTY of pillows, leave yours home. They had 6 on the bed. Nice size compact fridge, microwave, iron and ironing board, and cabinets to store your food/plates. The staff down at the office was very pleasant and helpful. Location was great. And the beach just across the street. The only flaw I referred to earlier was...in order to get hot water for the jacuzzi was to turn the hot water on in the bathroom tub...learned that from the guy in the office when I called to complain of no hot water for the jaccuzzi. They had to run at the same time. Took some time for it to fill, but was no big deal. Rates are excellent compared to others, and to ones "on the beach". Heck, I didn't mind walking across the street. Plenty of parking. The complimentary breakfast was also very nice. Cereal, donuts, french toast, pancakes, oj, coffee, bagels, english muffins. I would definitly go back. Best place to go while in Va Beach...FUNNY BONES comedy club. About 10 min away, easy to get to.

• Liked — comfortable bed, clean, location
  • Disliked — hot water for jaccuzzi
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2008

Took a little family weekend in September to the beach. We stayed the first night at another hotel on the beach and the second night here. We preferred the days inn by far. It was very nice, very clean, the people at the front dest were very nice and fast about getting our room. We checked in a little early. The pool area was very nice and clean. Very convenient to shops and food. The beach is just across the street. Our room was great. The bed was comfortable. We loved it.

• Liked — It was very clean.
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Estay
Reviewed December 23, 2007

I went down to visit the beach with my family over Columbus Day weekend. The location is fabulous and my room, at the far right end of the hotel as you look at it, had it's own private balcony which made it a wonderful spot to sit and look at the location. It's very convenient to the beach and a lot less expensive than booking directly on the beachfront. Unfortunately, there's construction going on across the street and I have a feeling that beautiful ocean view will be gone very soon.
The hotel itself was adequate---the room that I stayed in had a little kitchenette with a refrigerator. That was nice and unexpected and, I imagine, with a longer stay or a larger group would have saved a lot of money. The room itself didn't look like it had been updated recently but the rate was much less expensive than anything else that I saw so I wasn't going to complain.
I felt slightly uncomfortable with some of the security aspects of the hotel. The rooms are entered through an exterior hallway and, between using the pool and the breakfast in the morning, I never saw anybody asked about whether or not they stayed at the hotel.
Perhaps peculiar to the weekend that I stayed was the fact that Virginia Beach apparently hosts holiday tournaments for a number of sports teams. It appeared that the first night we stayed, a number of these teenage boys were staying at the hotel. The vast majority of the kids were fine but the parents seemed to be another story. The rooms do not have individual balconies and the family next-door were smokers and had set up chairs outside so they could smoke and drink. Not a huge deal by itself, although not fun to walk through every time I entered my room. However, the partying for the parents continued well into the night. My daughter must have woken up every hour on the hour until, at about 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning, I called the front desk to complain (as my daughter woke up to the strains of "Hey, Jude" being bellowed directly outside our door). At the end of the evening, even their 12 or 13 year-old son said, Yeah, you guys were really loud! The walls were so thin that I could hear the front desk calling the room next door a few minutes later to ask them to quiet down. Luckily, they agreed to do so and it got quiet right away but what unnerved me was that the front desk must have mentioned that I complained because I heard the parents saying something along the lines of, I guess we have to quiet down because there's a little kid next door. It scared me because if they had reacted badly, I didn't have much faith in the security of the door lock, and there was no other way out of the room.
If you visit another weekend, you might do a lot better in terms of the clientele and, if you're a guy, you might not be quite so worried about security. If you're security-concious for whatever reason, I might choose another location (particularly with the construction going up across the street blocking the view).

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank teachermomVirginia
MD-BABY!
Reviewed September 15, 2007

We have just returned from a weekend at the Days Inn. The hotel is okay for the price. Most hotels on the beach were running $140 AND UP! So when I got a rate of $74.00 a night I was happy. I could stay two nights for the price of one at the other hotels. I was nervous about staying at the hotel after reading some of the reviews, but when I got there it was not that bad.
I requested that if there was a room with a view of the ocean ...........could I please...........please get it.
Wow to my sunrise! My wish was granted. Rooms ending in 01, 02, and 03 have a great view of the ocean.

Many restaurants are within walking distance. For great pizza and burgers go to Dough Boy's California Pizza. The food is amazing. My boyfriend and I were at battles for the last slice.

We paid $74 per night for the room (2 double beds/ direct view of the ocean).

For a great Sunday brunch go to Mahi Mah's only 3 blocks south, but worth the walk.

I would stay again...............as long as I do see the rat walking on the street. LOL

Seriously-I would stay again.

One last bit they advertise HBO, but that is not true. They only have basic cable. That did not bother me, because I was on vacation. I was not supposed to be in the room watching TV.

• Liked — LOCATION
  • Disliked — Exterior rooms
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LoveleeMD
Reviewed August 14, 2007

I have vacationed in VA Beach for over 20 years and have stayed at a variety of hotels on the beach. This particular Days Inn is usually our choice for a last minute trip b/c it is cheaper and sometimes one of the few places with vacancies when you book last minute. I was shocked to find that the hotel had been updated since we last stayed there. We stayed two years ago, and the hotel was looking really bad. I was actually a little nervous this time and hoping it had not become even more run down. But I was very pleased to find completely renovated rooms with pillow-top mattresses, new carpet, new linens, paint, etc. The TV remote was even brand new. They have really made a lot of improvements to the place including adding another hot tub by the pool and a water fall, as well as lots of tropical vegetation in the pool area. The hotel was much cleaner than our previous stays and staff were more friendly. The outside of the hotel could use some touch-ups but I'm not sure how much could be done to improve the exterior appearance of the hotel.

We would stay there again. We pre-paid and got a room with a pool view for $127/night. Our room was even ready at 11am when we arrived. They've added a coffee/smoothie bar at the corner shop under the hotel which was really nicely done and convenient. They've also added an internet cafe and a fitness room, although both of those left a lot to be desired.

Be aware, the construction of condos accross from the hotel has just begun and by next summer the unobstructed ocean view from the hotel will definately be obstructed by a massive condo complex.

Note: If you are looking for egyptian cotten linens and something along the lines of the Hyatt, Marriott, or Hilton....you can book an oceanfront room down the street at one of those places for $350 a night (or higher).

• Liked — location and nicely renovated rooms
  • Disliked — too many kids in the pool to enjoy swimming
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family