“Great Place to Stay in Va Bch”

Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North
Ranked #3 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Memphis, Tennessee
“Great Place to Stay in Va Bch”
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

You have it all at this hotel: all oceanfront rooms, great views, professional staff(they go out of their way to greet you), right next to King Neptune, the boardwalk and the amphitheater, clean nice rooms and a decent free breakfast.

You cannot go wrong here, the beach and nighttime entertainment are just a walk away. The staff, at all levels, seemed very concerned about your well being. Not something you can just assume these days.

We were a little taken aback by the room prices, but after staying here, we feel we got an OK value.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank LetsgoVisit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My family spent the day at King's Dominion in Doswell, VA. We had a great day and stayed until they closed at 10PM. We then drove two hours to check in at the VA Beach LaQuinta. It may have been the worse hotel experience I'd ever experienced. We'd decided the next morning after being there for only six hours that we would check out and return home early. The next morning we went to the beach and ended uo hanging up behing the Hampton Inn North. On a whim I went in to see if they had a room. After hearing our story (I gave more details of the restless night at LaQuinta), the front desk guy, Bernard was so nice to me. He helped us get in to two connected rooms. The hotel had free parking, internet and breakfast right on the beach. He gave us a great rate - only $20 more than the crap hotel 20 miles from the beach. Our room was great. I didn't know what to expect. Very clean with an ocean view. At the rate we received, I assumed we'd face the street, but every room has an ocean view!!! The room had basic elements and comfortable beds. But the view blew me away. My sons were up at dawn looking at dolphins. It was awesome. Morning breakfast was okay for free - there's a Starbucks across the street. In fact, the location is great. Lots of great places to eat and cheap souvenier shopping. We ended up staying the night and most of the next day.

Room Tip: Great views...Choosing a room depends on your tolerance for heights. We stayed on the third floor...
1 Thank Bridget J
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We chose hampton inn over Hilton because of breakfast and comfort of low rise building. It was so convenient to access parking lot and beach. The size of balcony was pretty good compare to other hotel's but the hight of bathroom sink is high and for us it was uncomfortable to use. We loved the glass wall in the hall way which gives openness and natural light. Breakfast was very good we thought. If they had had one person to clean the table, we could enjoyed Hampton experience more.
That is why I gave 4 on cleanness. Also, my hotel bill was over charged due to unknown reason which gave us some stress on the very first minute on a vacation. We did not like it. But, overall, it is nice place to stay especially for family.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Sue D
new york
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We had a one night stay in VA beach after a week in Williamsburg. I read and re-read all the reviews trying to pick the best place for our family. I was close to booking the new Hilton next door but was turned off by the double beds (who still does that? who can sleep 2 to a double bed? not us at least comfortably!) So I settled on the Hampton which is a brand I love, especially the nice clean white duvets that are washed between guests.

We had a double queen room on the top floor which had a great view. All the rooms are ocean front which is nice. The hotel is obviously older but with newer Hampton furnishings. Our room was little beat up and carpet was a little stained and there was a spot or two of black on the tub grout but overall clean. We even had a rollaway (no charge) which was surprisingly comfy although the room was a little tight to fit the extra bed. I appreciated the fridge and microwave and there was a nice storage tower in the bathroom for extra toiletries. I did ask for an extra duvet for the rollway and was told that they do not do that. (the Hampton inn in Williamsburg kindly did provide one which I appreciated!) In any event it was for 1 night so no big deal.

The free breakfast was great and served in the lovely oceanfront restaurant on the ground floor of the hotel. A great set up with a great selection of cereals in boxes, boiled eggs, fruit, sausage, premade omelets. The best part was that they had multiple waffle maker manned by a lovely woman (Olivia?) who was so friendly and singing to all the guests, helping the kids, and she made all the waffles for you so there was no back up in line, no mess, and she was such a pleasure to speak with. We then sat outside and had a great free breakfast overlooking the boardwalk. Just a great way to start the day!

The only downside to the stay was that the fire alarm went off at 11:30 pm. It was very hard to hear in the room over the a/c and I was the only one awake at the time and I heard this faint beeping. When I opened the door the alarm was very loud but there were no hotel staff directing you what to do. Many guests were in the hall so we talked to each other and decided we should just go downstairs. I tried to call the front desk but no answer. I woke everyone up and we walked down 8 flights to the lobby. Still no one from the hotel directing anything but everyone was just walking outside to the parking lot. We then saw the fire dept come. They went inside and we saw them walking on the first floor. Then the firemen came out and said all clear so we went back up. Again, the hotel staff were gathered at the front desk but no one was saying anything to the guests which I thought was strange. We did ask for and receive a late check out the next day due to loss of sleep the night before! But still I though it was a little unsafe that not only could we not really hear the alarm in the room but that the hotel staff seemed so unconcerned about the guests while the alarm was going off.

This is the best location in my opinion thought. I see they are building a new Hilton Garden Inn next door which I would choose for my next trip. However, for the price this Hampton was a good choice for us for this trip.

1 Thank travelmom40
Quebec, Canada
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Very good hotel. Nice locations from everything you need in Virginia Beach. There is something for the whole family and any type of weather. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Will be back in this hotel for sure when vacations time comes around ...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had a nice, pleasant stay here even if it was only for 1 night (extended our stay in VB, & our previous hotel was sold out). Housekeeping and general staff at this hotel were all friendly. Room was clean, although room was a little on the small size, but bathroom was a nice size, & had a bathtub. The breakfast buffet was also good, & was generally a quieter stay for us. This hotel better serves couples, or even families with teenagers - although we wish there was an outdoor pool, instead of just the beach option.
Regardless, hotel is in a great location by Neptune's Statue, & with its added features - coffee maker, mini fridge/freezer, microwave, wi-fi, free parking & buffet breakfast - this hotel is well worth the stay.

1 Thank SwissAir100
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here in late July and it was much nicer than we expected! We decided on a whim to spend the weekend at the beach, so finding a decent place to stay during peak season is no easy task. Our room was clean and the private balcony was wonderful for dolphin and whale watching. We ate dinner at the restraunt on site and we were very pleased with our meal. It's not a resort but it isn't a crusty beach dive! The staff was fantastic! They are professional and friendly and even though they were very busy, made time to make us feel welcome and valued our business. The north end of the beach seems to have less unsavory characters and though we did not bring our four kids with us we would be happy to bring them there. Thank you for a wonderful weekend! We can't wait for our next visit!

• Stayed July 2013