“Nothing Bad to Say”

Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North
Ranked #5 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I don’t’ understand any of the negative reviews. Maybe these are just spoiled folks looking for perfection in an imperfect world. I got there early on September 16th with a friend for a few days of R&R. Gary at the front desk was helpful, smiling and gave us our room immediately. Let’s face it; this is a beach front hotel that has thousands of guests during the summer season and it takes a beating just like every other ocean front hotel on the board walk. No musty smells anywhere, our room was clean, no sand or moisture, a small amount of mold in the bathtub which was quickly taken care of. Yes, the air conditioner is loud, but so is every other wall/window unit I have ever used. The lobby is small, so what, how much times do you spend in the lobby when there is a spacious lounge area a few steps away where you can relax and enjoy ocean views. Olivia. You’ve seen that name before and all I can say is that she is a delight and no matter how you feel about hotel breakfast buffets she will make you want to eat there every single day. The food is very good! The hot entrée changes every day and maybe the waffle and toaster are “not set to the right temperature”, but you can run your toast through a second time (there is a sign to that effect) and the staff was more than helpful when I asked for a waffle that was cooked longer, darker and crisper. This is one of the best 3 star hotels on Virginia Beach and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a competively priced oceanfront hotel.

Room Tip: it's ocean front with a very active boardwalk. Higher is better for views and quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Grillgal-21
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We live in the area and needed a quick getaway for our wedding anniversary. I love the North End of the Oceanfront and considered booking at the Hilton, but decided not to because it was a bit out of our price range. We went with the Hampton Inn instead and had a wonderful stay. Our room was clean and fresh and well stocked with toiletries, towels and extra pillows. The balcony was cozy yet spacious enough to sit comfortably in the provided chairs. We took full advantage of watching the sun set through the clouds and even managed to wake up for sunrise. Our room was on the fourth floor and the view was great--we loved having an ocean front room at such an affordable price. As our anniversary falls in February, the hotel was not completely booked up so we enjoyed the relative privacy during breakfast (standard Hampton Inn fare) while overlooking the ocean from the Timbuktu restaurant on the ground floor. We'll definitely be back. I think I'll try for a whirlpool suite next time!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank La_Dame_Rouge
hamptonvboceanfront, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Thank you for taking time to post a review and we are honored that you chose us to celebrate your anniversary! We look forward to your return next February and think that you will like the King Whirlpool Suite. We also have a Romantic Getaway Package year round.

Director of Sales

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Great location for the property and as others have mentioned the convenience and price (free) for parking was a plus. Our family of 4 stayed for 2 days in late August just before my oldest started school. It was a good time because it wasn't really crowded. I didn't see the problems others mentioned about sand and wetness. One of the best experiences was breakfast. There were no issues finding a place to sit, I've had that problem before with hotels with a free breakfast. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Hello Olivia!, she was incredibly sweet and helpful with not just us. I watched her interact with the other tables. I'll admit the food itself wasn't stellar, but it did the trick and the staff got us anything we didn't see stocked. The front desk staff was pleasant and helpful as well. The one complaint that my husband wanted me to mention was the drapes. It was hard to close them all the way and facing the beach a lot of sun came into the room when we weren't ready to wake up. He tried his best to keep the light out, but its the way the poles are set up. I was ok to pay the price we did for two days, but for the quality of the hotel/rooms there is no way I would do it again. There are parking garages close to the same location and I'd probably stay at a nicer hotel farther from the beach and just drive in.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
hamptonvboceanfront, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

We appreciate your feedback about your recent stay, and your compliments about our breakfast and front desk staff. I apologize that the curtain issue interfered with your stay, and want you to know that maintenance has fixed this.

Rob Waddell- DOSM

Reviewed September 8, 2012

This Hampton Inn has a very good oceanfront location. The front desk people were very helpful and nice. Check in was very easy. Parking was excellent. The whole hotel needs some modernization. The lobby is very outdated and small. The indoor pool is across from the lobby with big glass windows so everyone can see the people in the pool. I really do not like that. The room was very clean as were the sheets and blanket. Again, the room seemed dated. The breakfast bar had a lot of tables and chairs. The buffett was pretty well stocked. The tea bags were never refilled the whole time we were there. "Olivia" was very helpful making waffles and clearing off tables. There seemed to be others there with her so I don't see why the buffet wasn't kept stocked.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

We appreciate your feedback, and are sorry that your experience was not exceptional in all areas. Despite our best efforts, we sometimes fall short, and your comments have been passed on to the management team for review. For the most part, our breakfast staff manages to keep the buffet well-stocked, but occasionally during high summer volume, they may fall behind. I invite you to come back and see us the next time you are in the area.

Rob Waddell - DOSM

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Compared to a typical Hampton Inn, the beachfront location commands a premium but facilities are average to slightly below average for Hampton Inn standards. Sand and dampness is an ongoing battle that takes its toll on the facility and, as a result, there is visible deferred maintenance. Regardless, the price is still a relatively good value given the free breakfast and other conveniences (washer/dryer on each floor, ample self-parking compared to neighboring hotels and free daily/hourly air shows).

The room was in fairly good condition and includes a fridge and microwave (bring your own bottled water and popcorn). There are some signs of aging and some build up of dirt in the bathroom corners and in the tile grout. Having a washer/dryer at the end of the hall is a bonus (**bring eight quarters and laundry detergent**).

Service/hospitality was mixed. Attempting to check-in early, the front desk took my cell phone number and said they would call when a room was ready but didn’t. At the breakfast buffet, employees were very attentive, friendly and chatty.

Nit-picking, the air conditioner is too loud, the towels are too thin, the coffee is bad (at all Hampton Inns), and the waffle maker and convection toaster were not at the correct temperature settings.

For those expecting a five-star resort, try the Hilton next door. For those in search of a decent value, this Hampton Inn is probably as good as any alternative on the beach.

*** Unrelated to the hotel… Umbrella and chair rentals are available on the beach ($40/day for two chairs and a umbrella). If spending more than one day on the beach, you can buy chairs/umbrella across the street for about the cost of a single day rental. ***

1  Thank JMH_10

Thank you for posting your comments. All rooms are thoroughly put through a rigorous preventative maintenance and refreshment just prior to the beginning of the peak season, but do incur some wear and tear over the summer. We strive to keep our hotel looking its best at all times, and generally do a good job. However, we are sorry that your experience was not as expected. Again, thanks for your feedback and we invite you to come back and see us!

Director of Sales

Reviewed August 31, 2012

After having an excellent experience at a Hampton Inn in Williamsburg, I was looking forward to the same in VA Beach. While the staff really tried to make our stay great, the hotel really needs some TLC. My guess is that the volume of business they have is too much for the current staff to handle and management isn't stepping up its game. The hotel is at a point where it really needs some freshening up, some things about the rooms, carpet, walls are getting shabby. Plus rooms really need a deep cleaning. Someone needs to go through common areas and rooms with an eye for detail.

There is sand everywhere, elevators, hallways, balconies, and it's not getting cleaned. There should have been someone vacuuming the elevators and first floor every few hours to pick up the sand. Without that kind of attention, not only does it make the place look bad, but the sand gets tracked throughout the upper floors and into rooms.

When we arrived, our room was not entirely clean - there was trash on our balcony, sand all over the balcony furniture that never got cleaned during our 4 days there and toothpaste dripped down the front of the bathroom sink cabinet. The fitted bed sheets on both beds were inside out. I told the front desk about the dirty room and they took the first night off our bill. I wasn't expecting that and I didn't ask for it, all I said was that I wanted to let them know the condition of the room. I was very grateful for that gesture.

We did leave a $5 tip for housekeeping the second night and noticed a difference in the way the room was cleaned. Michael did an excellent job cleaning and used a very fresh smelling cleaner in the bathroom. But the sheets never got turned to the right side and the sand on the balcony never got cleaned.

Beds are OK, not the most comfortable, like I said, I think the place is busy and needs more cleaning and sprucing than most hotels. They probably need to start replacing mattresses. The air conditioning sounded like an old diesel truck trying to turn over and then when it got going was pretty loud. The rooms have refrigerators and microwaves. We were really happy to see that and used the refrig.

The front desk staff was very helpful and pleasant, one lady gave us a coupon for a free hour jittney rental. Those things are hard to pedal so don't think you are going to use it for more than an hour of riding. Everyone who gets one seems to have the same looks on their faces when they realize it's hard work! Check in and and check out were very easy and pleasant.

Breakfast is free. Eggs, bacon, sausage, belgian waffles, bagels, muffins, bread, oatmeal, cold cereal, fruit, coffee, tea, juices, hot chocolate. It was very good and there is a lovely lady who greets you and cleans up your dirty dishes and chats with you. She was very sweet and kept things moving. She cleaned the tables after they were vacated, so you always had a clean table to choose. A nice guy who also works there let us know that the hotel had some minor league baseball tickets to give away if we were interested.

We ate lunch at the hotel restaurant once, outside by the beach. We had a great waitperson who was friendly and helpful and efficient. We didn't catch her name, but she was a tall young blonde woman. The food was very good - we each had some sort of burrito - they have a large and varied selection to choose from. I ordered a chicken quesadilla and asked them to leave out the cheese, aside from thinking they were making a mistake, they did it for me and it was still very good cheeseless. My sister had the giant hot dog quesadilla - it was great and huge. She left almost half because it was so big. Husband had the cheeseburger quesadilla - he said it was good as did our son who went with the cheese version.

I used the laundry - they have two pay washers and two pay dryers. The machines are old - they work, they cost $1 per load in quarters. I brought my own detergent, although you can buy some from the front desk. There is a folding table. It was a blah facility that could use a little sprucing up.

I was really disappointed in the fitness room, it was shabby, there was a treadmill, a bike and an elliptical - no dumbbells, nothing else. I lift weights, so I had no alternatives, I learned by accident and too late that there is a crossfit gym close by and some sort of beach boot camp in the early morning. I wish I had known earlier that the hotel gym was a bust - they should offer some sort of daily membership to a local gym for a nominal fee, I would have paid $7 a day to use a real gym. Many people run or walk or rollerblade on the boardwalk.

The hotel is in a great location, the staff seems to care about the guests, but I get the impression that they need more guidance. The north end of the beach is definitely more mellow and quieter than further south. I hadn't been there in over 20 years and was amazed at how honky tonk the whole place has become. It's really built up and there are a lot more chain type restaurants, which I think is a negative, but I guess the volume of visitors warrants that type of business.

We should have gone to other hotels to get an idea of what they had to offer, but we didn't. I am not sure that we would stay here again if we come back to VA Beach. We paid the AAA rate, It averaged about $179/night.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are pretty much the same - the idea is that all rooms face the beach.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
hamptonvboceanfront, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Thank you for posting your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and restaurant and appreciate your comments about the staff.

We pride ourselves on our property upkeep and attention to detail, but clearly we did not meet your expectations and for that we are truly sorry. The sand, especially on busy summer weekends presents a real challenge with the constant guest traffic off the beach, and our staff strives to keep up with it.

The fitness center is designed to the Hampton Inn specification with the equipment most requested. We do have an arrangement with a nearby gym for those needing a more robust workout with a discounted day pass. The front desk has this information, but we will explore how to better communicate this to interested guests.

Again, thanks for your feedback. It has been reviewed by the management team for opportunities to improve.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed August 29, 2012

After reading several reviews from people saying to skip the Hilton next door and save the money by staying at the Hampton Inn, we chose to do that. Yes the Hampton Inn was approx a $100 a night cheaper than the Hilton, but it was still very expensive considering. We paid almost $250 a night. While it is beachfront and has beautiful views and is in a nice location, it is still very much a 3 star hotel, so please don't expect more. The bathrooms are simple and the tubs and shower curtain were not the cleanest. The carpeting was damp for unknown reasons upon our arrival and the a/c unit was loud. The pool downstairs was small and nothing special. Again this is a 3 star hotel and should be priced accordingly, which it was not. For $150 a night, it is worth it but not for $250 a night.

I was misled into thinking it ws similar to the Hilton, minus the room service and some other fringe luxuries but it was not. It was a typical Hampton Inn and should not be misrepresented as more than it is. Again for $149 a night it's fine but after tax to pay nearly $300 a night was a complete ripoff.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Justin C
hamptonvboceanfront, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2012

Thank you for your comments. Our pricing is comparable to other three-star oceanfront hotels, and we feel that we provide good value given our excellent location, all oceanfront rooms and Hampton brand amenities like the free breakfast buffet and free WiFi. However, clearly this was not your impression, and for that we offer our apologies. Your comments about this and the room have been passed on to senior management for review and follow up.

Director of Sales and Marketing