“Excellent Value, Service”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Hanover, Pennsylvania
“Excellent Value, Service”
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We stayed here for our family vacation. We were impressed the moment we walked in the door. The smell of fresh coconut and an immaculate lobby added to our excitement of being at the beach. Check-in was hassle free, it took about 30 seconds! Our rooms were neat and clean. We even took the time to look in the corners and under furniture. No problems. The view of the beach was spectacular. The balcony was a little small but it served it's purpose well enough. Staff was polite and engaging and eager to please. The pool and hot tub were clean. Some sand but that's to be expected. The included continental breakfast was most impressive. Hot eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes. very good biscuits and gravy, excellent choice of fruits, juices, bagels, muffins and make your own waffles. We always enjoy our breakfast on vacation and like to try different restaurants but the convenience, freshness and variety of this breakfast kept us coming back for more. Otherwise, we did not eat in the restaurant although the menu was enticing and the prices were very reasonable. If we have one complaint it would be that the beds were a little hard but by the third nite we were used to them and able to sleep with ease. We will definitely stay here on our next visit.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 3, 2011

The hotel was "home" for 6 nights for my 12 year old son and I while my son attended an all day lacrosse camp nearby. We had a discounted rate of $215.00 per night for a ocean front room, breakfast included. All of the rooms are ocean front, so there is nothing special there. We shared one room with two beds.

The good: Location and parking. The beach, literally right outside the front door. Walking distance to a full service grocery store for sandwiches, light meals, sundries. Free parking and never had a problem finding a space. The front desk staff was pleasant and helpful. Excellent check-in, check-out. Guest
laundry. Restaurant and bar reasonable with pleasant staff. Food at restaurant good.

The so-so: Housekeeping was minimal, despite my generous $10.00 daily tip to the housekeeper. There was a coffee maker in the room, but cups were never replenished.
The sheets were never changed (I would have appreciated one mid week change). One
day the bed was not made at all (personal items on the bed that housekeeping was not
allowed to touch, hence the bed was not made. Really.)

Breakfast was typical self service and the standard fare got old after seven days. The
constant light rock/pop music and TV were inescapable in the public areas. There was no
quiet area to sit and read or enjoy the sound of the waves. The chairs in the room were not
comfortable and the balcony was quite small. The pool was small and the water seemed
cloudy. However, I did witness the water being tested regularly and chemicals being added,
so I assume that an effort was being made to keep up with sanitation. Rooms were quiet
enough until July 1, when the hotel was at maximum occupancy.

The bad: I had a stopped up toilet on the first morning. A plunger was sent up quickly
enough and I fixed the problem myself. A homey touch that I could have done without. We,
along with 5 other guests, were stuck in a broken elevator for 10-15 minutes. Eventually
the staff was able to pry the door open. We used the stairs (6 flights for us) after that.
Fortunately, this occurred on the morning we were checking out. Internet was free, but
definitely not high speed. I did better with my 3G wireless.

Would I stay here again or recommend it to a friend? Maybe, but definitely not for 6 nights. Possibly one or two nights. This is not a hotel "where memories are made".

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same.
Kingsland, Georgia
Reviewed July 3, 2011

When my family and I stayed here, everyone at the hotel was so nice and helpful except for the 3 same people that worked the second shift ( 2girls and 1 guy). i couldn't believe such obvious flirting by the 2 females and the how the dark haired girl and large bald guy making fun of and being rude to guests are even tolerated. I witnessed the last two act blatantly rude to a guest and then laughed at him in his face. Such a disgusting display of behavior. On top of that, the manager and the central office have not even addressed my complaints which were made on May 20th and it is now July 3rd. I can't believe that such a lovely establishment and hotel chain allow this to happen. Needless to say, we will not be coming back to this location.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank stewartfam10
vboceanfront, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
First, thank you for taking time to post a review. We receive many compliments about our helpful staff and regret that your experience with some of our front desk staff was otherwise. We have followed up appropriately. I trust that communications regarding your complaints have occured, and hope that you will consider giving us another opportunity to show you a wonderful experience!
Rob Waddell - DOSM
ohio
Reviewed July 2, 2011

I was leary before arrival. I booked an Internet special through Hampton Inn's website, for a crazy good price considering we were staying part of the 4 th of July weekend. I think our rate was at least $50-$100 cheaper to other oceanfront rooms I had researched, this being our first time in Virginia Beach. The rate was first floor, pay in advance and I even called the hotel because the rate seemed too cheap ( how often does that happen) and I had to be sure I was getting a quality room.

I asked for early check in and got it. We were able to check in at 1:00. The lady at the front desk said "oh, they gave you a big room.". I think our room was handicap room, but it didn't feel or look like it. It seems like it used to be 2 rooms that were made into one with the renovation. Our room was huge, clean, and had the most beautiful view of the ocean there was a large brick patio with white wooden rocking chairs that probably belonged to the bar but the only time someone besides us sat there was when there was a lounge singer at the restaurant bar connected to the hotel. The beds were divine, clean new mattresses and fluffy, crisp linens. The closet was small, but at this point we didn't care.

The free breakfast was lovely. It was a little different each morning, I love the fruit salad. It was such a privilege and joy to eat breakfast on the restaurant patio while watching the sun rise and listening to the surf crash.

The location is excellent, right on the boardwalk by Neptune Park. There were concerts at the park every night, Which made for a great vacation atmosphere.

The staff was friendly and accommodating, housekeeping did a great job. We were greeted with smiles anytime we passed a staff member.

We usually rent a condo when we go to the beach. This was our first time staying with children in a hotel. I was worried because of the great price and fear for lack of space, but those fears were dashed from the moment we arrived. Being on the first floor was perfect, easy and convenient.

I must also mention the pool area, perfection! So lovely to be able to cool off or sit in the hot tub. One day the hot tub was cool and my 14 year old son told a staff member who took him seriously and got the hot tub fixed by the next day.

• Stayed June 2011
lost creek
Reviewed June 29, 2011

The hampton Inn (North) was a great hotel to stay at. everyone was so nice there. all the employes were so nice. Richard was great very nice. house keeping did a wonderful job. Chrisina cleaned our room the first day. great job. The free breakfast was very good. One morning we had eggs,sausage,potatos,yogart, also fresh fruit every morning,orange juice, and the coffee was perfect. Loved it. Keep up the good work. This hotel also has a inside pool, and hot tub. both are great. The outside dinning area is great. My husband and i ate there everyday.Great food.

Room Tip: All rooms have a ocean view. Beautiful.
Richmond, VA
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Found the afternoon staff to be unhelpful at check-in though the evening and night staff were much more pleasant. Typical stay in a chain hotel. Room was clean, view was nice, location was fine. Used rewards points for the stay. Absolutely would not pay asking price for a room here: terribly overpriced for an average room but had no problems during the stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your comments about your recent stay and regret that some aspects were not as you expected. Although your comments about the afternoon staff are somewhat general, I have passed your review on to the appropriate managers for follow up and training.

Our peak season rates are carefully set to be competitive with comparable oceanfront hotels, many of which do not offer value-added amenities such as our free hot breakfast buffet, free wifi, and all oceanfront rooms.

We sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to "WOW You!"

Rob Waddell - DOSM
Falls Church, VA
Reviewed June 25, 2011

We stayed here for 5 days and were very pleased. The hotel is attractive, with room amenities up to date. Staff was friendly and responsive. The rooms are very quiet; we never heard anything. A small matter: the hot water is virtually instant.

The hotel offers a very extensive breakfast which is free. The wifi is free and the signal strength is good throughout the hotel although the speed is sometimes pretty slow.

The hotel is well positioned on at the north end of the beach which makes it easier to get to by car; parking is ample and convenient.

Hampton makes a point of their "Hampton bed". It was very comfortable indeed.

We were very pleased.