“Girl scout troop 434”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Verona
Shenandoah Valley Campground
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Had a great time! Stayed Friday night and left Sunday .
Girls floated the river , went swimming in the pool and enjoyed the karaoke and the dj at the pavilion. Didn't get to fish any. We stayed on the river front the only complaint I had was the scattered gravel under the tent beds. Curfew is at 11:00 pm . The main office had necessities if you didn't want to go out to the grocery store. They have a little restaurant. And a vendor that drives around on the grounds offering food and snacks... didn't try any of that. Showers and bathrooms were decent and fairly clean. They have hot tubs under the same roof as the bathrooms. They have 2 play grounds and 1\2 court basket ball. Fishing pond. All in all good family camp ground for kids.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed July 13, 2014

This campground was more than I thought it would be. We stayed as an overnight visit on our way to DC. I was pleasantly surprised. Staff very nice. Sites are close together. They had many activities going on and everyone seemed to be having a good time. Our resident fisher person did not catch a single fish but the pond was very crowded. They do have inner tubes for rent for floating down a pseudo lazy river which ends at the falls. Very pretty. For an over night stay, this is a good resting spot. Hook-ups are convenient. If travelling with satellite, you will be hard pressed to get a good signal. Cable worked fine. Our pull through site was long and level. Had to unhook due to length of the rig.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank DeniseLittlejohn
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Having made a prepaid reservation ahead-of-time, I was greeted courteously and provided a color map to my site, which was a clean, shaded, full-hookup, level and pull-through. Hookups were conveniently located & water pressure was good but not excessive. The encrypted Wi-Fi worked but was painfully slow. If the campground offered cable TV, I could never find the connection for it. Since I stayed only one night watching TV was not on my agenda.

Access to this campground is via paved country roads, winding through rolling Virginia hills past well-maintained, prosperous-looking homes and an entrance via a long, winding paved driveway. The campsites are mostly in a shaded dell, where Verizon Wireless cellphone coverage is virtually non-existent. We were not disturbed by highway noise or noisy campers.

A playground and other amenities at this campground explained why it is is family-friendly with extended stay guests and many children. There is an on-site store that stocks the basics. If you need more than that, you'll need to purchase your supplies before your arrival because there is no nearby shopping offsite.

Although our site was level, I did note that some of the other sites were not very level. If having a level site is important, I would recommend making that request when you reserve a space. Except for lack of cellphone coverage, I had no complaints during my stay. This campground was clean and well-run.

We stayed here in a Class A Motorhome.

Room Tip: If you need a level site, be sure to ask for one. Not all of them are.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Lewis E
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We love this campground. It is true that if you don't have, or like, children you probably won't like the place. There is a great deal of outdoor activity that children like to do, which is one of the reasons we started coming to this camp and stopped going to the child-hating campground a few miles south of Staunton. Myself, I love to hear children playing and laughing and respectfully enjoying a summer camping experience. It is a beautiful place, and we have had some great trips. Now, for the rest of my thoughts...

We have stayed here many times, over many years. We are NOT new to camping or this campground. It has great potential; however, there are some real flaws that need to be addressed. The frequent sheriff visits are telling! Wake up owners!

First, the pool is completely a free-for-all. The blatent alcohol consumption and rowdiness of the drunkards that ensues is quite a disappointment. It makes the place look like some low class dump! Really...who likes being around a drunk, except for another drunk? Secondly, something needs to be done about all the easy-up shelters. Fellow, discourteous, campers put 2 or 3 of these things up on their itty-bitty sites and they encroach on the roadway, and other people's sites. You can barely navigate the place. Good luck if you have a 36 foot fifth-wheel! Third, do something about the multiple vehicles parking on sites! This is absurd! The sites are too small for this! Again: itty-bitty sites and lots of extras don't work together! Fourteen people cramped in one little site is silly, and a clear indication of the direction the place is heading! And finally, you can tell very easily if you stay more than 23 seconds that this is really just a gathering spot for locals to come and party obnoxiously and fight on the weekends. I mean, ridiculous, riotous, sheriff visits rowdiness. After talking with people, it only confirmed that so many were local. In fact, a number leave in the morning to go to work, and come back later to PAR-TY! It's kind of like camping at the local pool hall or bar. It hasn't always been this way...but it is now. It is quite disheartening. But, perhaps this is what the owners desire because they clearly aren't doing anything to change it.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Gingerale45
Reviewed July 2, 2014

This is the second year we came back for my younger son's birthday (he is 6 now) I love this park because is:

1.- Not expensive
2.- River and waterfall are incredible. Water is cold even when is 100 degrees.
3.- Staff are always friendly.
4.- Showers and restrooms are always well maintained and clean.
5.- Alcohol is permitted but you can't make noise after the curfew of 11 PM (and they reinforce this)
6.- Pool is OK, but the hot tubs are great!!!
7.- We watched the world soccer cup games in the Gameroom.
8.- Camp sites are big enough for 2 tents and 2 cars.
9.- Picnic table and a fire pit are a plus, but no grill at all, bring yours...

Definitely a family oriented campground. If you don't like kids, don't bother coming here and rent yourself a cabin in the middle of nowhere.
But if you like kids, like us, it's perfect, hear them yell and laugh when they ride their bikes and swing in the river, or when they are roasting marshmallows by the fire... that is priceless.

I will gave them 5 stars but I was shut off at 11 PM, I was too noisy but that is me. I will definitively be coming back next year, but this time I will take camp sites F11 and F12 so nobody complaint about my loud laughing...

Room Tip: Best place to camp F11, right in front of the water falls.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Just returned home from a 9 night stay, arriving on a Friday and staying until Sunday of the following week. First off I have to say that any "kidless" family that gave this campground a good review could not POSSIBLY have stayed here on a weekend.

My first encounter with a fellow camper was at the door to the office at check in. A teenaged boy came out the door and instead of holding it open for a female elder (as taught in Basic Manners 101) he practically let it slam in my face. Once I got into the office, the staff were pleasant and helpful. I had requested a full hookup sight with river view (since we had such a site at a campground near the Great Smokies many years back and it was just wonderful) and boy did we get one. Big mistake requesting that. Luckily our trailer is only 24 feet because they put us on a site that was very short in length, with no place to park our Ford F-150, and right smack near where all the vehicles come into and out of the campground. Not a very pleasant location. Friday and Saturday were horrendous with people and kids everywhere, people speeding and driving the wrong way on one way roads, kids nowhere near old enough to be licensed driving golf carts, cars entering and leaving the campground constantly right by our site, fishing after dark, bike riding after dark, and excessive noise. The entertainment noise stopped at quiet time (10:30 pm) but the noise from the campsites did not. No rules were enforced whatsoever. I never saw any "security" until the following Friday evening when they stopped to say something to one of the many sites that had too many cars. Some kids AND ADULTS, on both weekends, violated Camper Etiquette 101 and cut across our site, repeatedly, WITH US SITTING RIGHT THERE, some even having the nerve to walk through our set up canopy!! I would expect that from kids but definitely not from adults!! The first Saturday night we were there 4 cop cars came flying into the campground, no clue what that was about.

Our experience on Sunday was the best one yet. Our site was near the dump station (which is on the main road) and since there aren't many full hookup sites there, everyone was stopping to pump out. There were RVs backed up on our road (right in front of our site) and on the main road (also near our site) waiting to pump out. Of course a couple people pulling trailers with their noisy, smelly diesel trucks didn't shut their engines off while waiting, nearly choking us to death with fumes. Duh!! We took a walk to get away from this and stopped to look into the hot tub room. The 4 hot tubs were filled with about 25 kids. Nowhere have we EVER stayed (hotel, campground, etc.) where children were allowed in the hot tubs. Needless to say that prevented me from wanting to use them even when available. We never bothered to use the pool either.

We had 2 days of peace and quiet before everyone started piling in again on Wednesday. Our second weekend the place was more packed than the first. Way too small of a place to be that packed. We were surrounded by a burper, not one but TWO people with gross sounding, constant coughs, a guy hollering constantly at his family, and other high-class citizens. When we left Sunday we had to make sure to get out early enough so we didn't get stuck in the pump out line.

This is our 12th season camping and we have been to many campgrounds. I have never seen such rude, inconsiderate, oblivious, and all around pain-in-the-behind fellow campers in any of my travels as I did at this campground. I would hope that the behavior of these people was not just due to ignorance. I realize this is not the campground's fault but the rules definitely need to start to be enforced FAST, and they jam the place up with entirely too many people. Oh, and before I forget to mention, the WiFi signal was practically non-existent. Glad I didn't bother bringing my computer!

I liked feeding the bunnies. But we will not be returning here.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mama K
Reviewed May 27, 2014

This is a great campground with some great amenities. There are no excessive costs and the activities are great for both children and adults. The river provided some great scenery and I cannot wait to try the tubing next time. The sites were good, we had plenty of room and the store stocked many things if you need anything. The fishing was also great and provided a great break when needed. Entertainment was provided every night and if you are worried about getting sleep they had a patrol that enforced quiet hours. As the title says this is a great place and our family looks forward to returning.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank familyfuntymes

Been to Shenandoah Valley Campground? Share your experiences!