“Nice local place with great outdoor seating area”

Hunter's Head Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Hunter's Head Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Upperville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: just west of the Citgo Station
Transit: We are located on the north side of Route 50.
Description: Experience our English-style Pub that serves traditional pub fare, fine dining cuisine and mouthwatering homemade desserts. Entrees and appetizers feature local farm meats (Certified HumaneR and Certified Organic) as well as local produce. From our famous burgers, to roasted chickens, to veal and pork chops, Hunter's Head Tavern provides a unique opportunity for customers to dine with confidence. Our main ingredients come from farms dedicated to maintaining the health and well-being of their animals as well as the land. Domestic and imported beers are available on tap along with an excellent wine selection including local and organic choices. Five different dining rooms and extensive outdoor seating during the warm seasons provide a dynamic dining experience whether you are looking for a family-friendly, romantic or cozy neighborhood environment. Pets are also welcome to dine on the patio.
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I really enjoyed this place and thought it was a great location to have drinks with a friend. I ate the schnitzel, which was very good, and had a couple of beers from the excellent selection that they offer. The staff was nice and the outdoor seating area was beautiful, with lots of plants and tables spaced well enough to have private conversation. Great place to grab a drink if you are in the area!

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Went here for dinner on Valentine's Day. It was a unique setting. Dinner is served in traditional English style, you place your order at the bar and they serve it to you at your table. Our waitress was excellent. There was six of us, and we ordered from traditional English fare to pork chops and everything was very, very good. If you are traveling near Upperville, you need to stop in.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Went to this rustic tavern restaurant in Upperville, Va recently for lunch with some friends and was very surprised I had not known about this place before! Something for everyone on the menu, from burgers to vegetarian dishes to traditional English items like bubble and squeak or bangers and mash. Menus are created from ingredients from local sources, and portions are large and satisfying. You can choose from a varied list of beers and wines too! The atmosphere was homey and inviting, and I loved that it was intimate without being noisy or crowded. I just loved this place, and plan to go again!

Reviewed January 29, 2014

If you should find yourself in Upperville, Virginian, which is at 9048 John S. Mosby Highway (U.S. Route 50) then you should stop by this very English pub for a pint of Guinness and some Bangers and Mash or perhaps some Shepherd's Pie or Guinness Stew. You won't be disappointed. My wife, daughter, son-in-law and I stopped by recently for lunch and you would have thought we were in any good pub in England.

As is common in many pubs, you order your meal and drinks at the bar. At Hunter's Head they give you a wooden spoon with a number on it. So find a table, put the spoon in an empty wine bottle and soon your meal will be brought to you by a very attentive server.

As you might expect, they have many traditional pub dishes; Fish and Chips, Shepherd's Pie, Guinness Stew, Bubble and Squeak, Bangers and Mash, and Mushy Peas to name a few. They even make some pet dinners! They do their very best to use local, organic and non-GMO products in the preparation of their meals. They have several dishes suitable for vegetarians but not vegans. To see their whole menu, go here:

The day we were there, steamed mussels were on the appetizer menu so my wife and I had those while our daughter had a salad. Our son-in-law passed on an appetizer. Along with the mussels, which with a salad could have been a meal, came a delicious Pub Bread, which you can buy to take home. The mussels were plump, tasty and the bread soaked up the delicious broth. My daughter and I had the Guinness Ayrshire Beef Stew, my wife had the Shepherd's Pie and our son-in-law had Mac and Cheese. Beverages consisted of Guinness Stout, Stella Artois, Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon. Appetizers and main courses were served in a timely fashion by attentive and courteous servers who did not hover or rush you. We left with our appetites satisfied and a vow to return, which we are doing tomorrow, January 30, 2014.

I highly recommend you make a reservation, particularly if you are going at their busy time. I use Open Table. I hope you will give this quaint tavern a try and that you enjoy it as much as we did.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Our local pub. Every meal is a joy, true farm-to-table and organic food. Great atmosphere, fabulous wait staff, ale on tap. Go there!!