“I Wish We Ate in the Pub and Not the Restaurant”
Review of Blackthorne Inn & Restaurant - CLOSED

Blackthorne Inn & Restaurant
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Oyster Bay, New York
“I Wish We Ate in the Pub and Not the Restaurant”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

If you go here, eat in the pub not the restaurant upstairs. One taste of the Irish Nachos from the pub downstairs will convince you. The upstairs restaurant is pretty with lovely views. However, the flies and the stink bugs dotting the inside of the windows takes away from the gazebo view.
The waitress was wonderful. The service was fast. The prices were a little high for the quality of food we received. Of our table of 4 only 1 person enjoyed their meal. I prefer the Ashby Inn for "restaurant dining" but would definitely eat at the music filled, Irish Nacho-serving Blackthorne PUB in a heartbeat... Skip the restaurant upstairs and head down to the pub!

• Visited May 2013

“Breakfast was great,”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Breakfast was fast and made to order and it included coffee, juice, toast and an omelet or waffles. We also ate dinner at the pub and had a burger and irish nachos. Food was OK, beer was great, live music was a plus!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Nctraveler18
Kenmare, Ireland
“Bravery rewarded”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I am a great believer, that, if one does it well, then the rest will follow. Here we have a country pub in the rolling hills of Virginia, not exactly isolated, but distant from the mass market.
It's cost, warm and welcoming: downstairs bar and restaurant full the day we arrived and we had to use the upstairs bar, which began to fill as we had lunch.
Service was helpful; menu had something for all tastes; an enjoyable experience.

Well done to the operators, it's not easy to run a successful country pub/restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Westcork10
Alexandria, Virginia
“Upscale pub”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I have eaten/ had cocktails here three times, most recently this past weekend. They clearly know what they are doing in the kitchen. I had the pan roasted chicken and it was delicious. The menu is well-planned. There is something for everyone - even kids. Atmosphere is cozy and the staff is quite friendly.

They have a lovely outdoor seating area that I will be enjoying in the Spring.

Highly recommend.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank clh6262
Winchester, Virginia
“Order the fish”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

New Years eve and the place was hopping. We came to the bar at 6 for a 7pm dinner reservation. The bar is tight, but the beer is cold and the music andthe sevrice is good. We had a server with apparent laringitis. Hard to hear,but she was great. Sit on the couch if it's available.

Dinner upstairs in the diningroom, we don't drink wine, but there were a lot of people enjoying it. Table 22 is a little table for 2 off to one side where you can see the whole place.
The rolls in the bread basket were amazing. We used them to soak up the sauce from my scallops.
Wife ordered the caeser salad and the chicken, which she liked. I thought her chicken was overcooked, but she loved it. The caeser dressing was awesome.

I had the scallops for an app and the mahi mahi with shrimp and grits. I love scallops, I order them often, I buy them and try to cook them but I've never had any this good. The grits with the (apparently) pureed shrimp were the best I've ever had. Love fish, never had mahi, but this was spectacular.

She had polenta with her chicken that was almost as good.
It is not cheap. No wine, I had 1 beer, wife had water and we spent $125 with tip and one dessert. But we are going back.

• Visited December 2012