“Uncomfortably warm conference UGH”

Sheraton Tysons Hotel
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
USA
“Uncomfortably warm conference UGH”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I attended a 4 day conference at the Sheraton Premiere. My guest room was excellent- clean and meticulously maintained. I appreciated that very much. I was on the 2nd floor-good location with easy and quick access to lobby. Room was quiet and comfortable. Parking well lit and safe.
one complaint is that the conference I attended over the 4 days was held in the ballroom with Several hundred attendees in a lecture hall set up. The conference was a high energy event with music and celebration and the AC was hardly on!!!!! I think it may have been turned on once an hour for 3 minutes. It was so uncomfortable- I was so HOT. It must have been 75-80 degrees in a packed lecture room. I could not believe it. We were in that room from 9A-10 PM. If you are having a conference event- I do not recommend this hotel.
Also, I requested a late check out on my day of departure. Sosha the guy at the front desk, checked whether this was possible- confirmed availability of a late check out in the system - but he did not document that he approved it in my acct. I gave him a $5 tip because I thought he documented it. When I called on the morning of check out to confirm, the manager said no late check out under any circumstance: She finally approved it. BEWARE......

Room Tip: 2nd floor is a good location.
Green Features: Was not aware of this. Have no info regarding this.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank WhiteGloveUser
Mike C, General Manager at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Dear WhiteGloveUser,
Thank you very much for staying with us and for being part of the 24/7 Dance group. Also thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience regarding our rooms. I am delighted to read your comments about how our rooms are excellent and clean, meticulously maintained and quiet and comfortable. Also thank you for sharing with other Trip Advisor’s future guests that our parking lot is well lid and safe. I sincerely apologize about the ballroom temperature that you mentioned as we definitely understand that the room should have been much cooler! I have already shared your feedback with our maintenance and banquet department for further investigation. I am glad that you found some comfort in the late checkout by another member of our staff and I hope you will be back next year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
shepherdstown wv
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Booked rooms here to show some European friends around D.C - and somewhere there was a glitch, and our discount rate was for another night. It was late, and we were knockered, but the staff bent over backwards to redeem the coupon, switch the date, and honor the rate! The rooms, including the bath, were large and spacious, and well equipped - the bed was one of the best I've had in any hotel! A late dinner, and breakfast, while a bit pricey, was served promptly, and was satisfying.

Room Tip: The building is an Octagon, so each pod of rooms results in privacy from other rooms, and are all sp...
Green Features: Rooms have separate trash receptacles for recycling
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Mike C, General Manager at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear shetown,
Thank you for staying with us on your last visit to the Tysons Corner. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and experience and we are glad to know that you enjoyed the hotel and the service. My apologies for the glitch in the coupon upon your arrival your first time in and it was good to know that we quickly made up for that providing you a much better experience at the front desk for that arrival night. Hope to see you again soon.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I was asking for a one-hour late check-out extension, which was summarily and curtly rejected. I had to call again and even offered to pay for that measly extension. This was again rejected and I was offered a 30-minute extension and finally, after prolonged discussions, was finally given the full hour late checkout. Why I had to be subjected to the ordeal is beyond me – the person at the reception never even bothered to check my profile, never addressed me by my name and certainly never made me feel like I was a valued guest.

Having gained my precious hour extension, housekeeping then called my room to enquire on when I will be checking out – shouldn’t that be in the hotel system and rather than put the burden on the customer, why not enquire with the front desk? Some small details also leads me to believe this property's service quality, which used to be pretty good, is slipping:

• The room had no tissue paper;
• The shampoo and lotions were never replaced.
• Plastic cups instead of proper glasses in the room.
• The breakfast buffet was uninspired and unappetizing.

The hotel still has some value but this recent experience has made me take a second look at the many competitors in the area - Crowne Plaza, Marriott, Westin, Grand Hyatt (farther away at Reston) and Ritz Carlton.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ScottLB
Mike C, General Manager at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear ScottLB,
Thank you for your comments as we value your opinion! I’m hopeful we can earn your business the next time you are in Tysons area as I’m sure your opinion will change regarding our staff. Unfortunately we failed to communicate with you that the hotel was 100% occupied and other patrons were waiting in the lobby to check in. However; in the situation when the hotel is less than 100% occupancy, complimentary late check-outs are always honored. We do apologize for your inconvenience and the communication breakdown when the housekeeper knocked on your door. We value our guests and we want every guest to feel valued. We do hope you give us another chance to prove that to you and thank you again for the feedback.
Reviewed April 26, 2014

This got off to a bad start because when I made my reservation three weeks in advance thru Booking.com they were not supposed to charge me until my visit. Sheraton immediately charged my credit card 2-1/2X my booking rate. When I tried to contact Sheraton directly the "only" person who could fix it never answered her phone nor called me back. I contacted Booking.com and they got the charge reversed immediately.

At the hotel the check in staff was friendly and efficient. The room was good and comfortable. But they only had 3 elevators to service a 21 story tower. With multiple conventions in the hotel it too forever to get an elevator. Also, everything was an extra charge. They even wanted $9.95 for wifi. I thought Motel 6 was the only ones to charge wifi.

The gift shop sold some nice sweatshirts at a reasonable price. We bought 3, but. They had no (never had according to the clerk) bags big enuf to hold one sweatshirt, let alone 3.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Mike C, General Manager at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Jay Y,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us about your experience at the Sheraton Tysons Corner hotel. I certainly appreciate the kind words about the “friendly and efficient staff and your room was good and comfortable”. I also understand the difficult time you had to go through in changing your reservation that was done by a third party (booking.com) and not directly through the hotel which is always easier through the hotel's web-site and less complicated. We still do not know if you had purchased the pre-paid discounted room reservation or the regular discounted daily room. There is a difference in the cost which the first one entitles the buyer to get additional discount on the rate as it is non-refundable vs. the second one. For either case we apologize for the distraction. I look forward to your feedback from your next stay! Thank you again.
Owings Mills, Maryland
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a dance convention. After an initial difficulty with the reservation, Nichole M. straightened it out and provided impeccable service. Following check-in, she called to make sure all was okay and she continued to touch base and provide assistance throughout the weekend. I wish all hotels had a Nichole M.!

Green Features: Was pleasantly surprised to find a recycling container in the room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Mike C, General Manager at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear Linda E,
We are delighted that we contributed to your comfort away from home and in making your experience during your Dance Conference such a joy. Thank you for your very kind words about Nichole and the service you received. We look forward to serve you again in the near future; we will also pass the credit to Nichole as she continues to impress everyone who interacts with her. Thank you again.
Owings Mills, Maryland
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We stayed at the Sheraton Premiere a couple of weekends ago for my Daughter's dance competition. My wife made the the initial reservation for a king and it needed to be changed to 2 double beds. Long story short ... Nichole fixed the reservation AND called me a few hours after I checked-in to make sure the accommodations were correct. She was also instrumental in facilitating the delivery of a small refrigerator! I would absolutely stay there again. She was even able to help with a late check-out. Thanks again Nichole for your GREAT hospitality - Rick Esterson.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Mike C, General Manager at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Mr. Esterson,
Thank you for taking the time to post and for your great praise of Nichole. Exceeding our guest expectations and ensuring that every guest leaves with great experience is what we do and we are thankful that you were able to recognize our efforts through Nichole's assistance! We appreciate your business and we look forward to your next visit to the Tysons area.
Midlothian, Virginia
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed here for a dance convention. Having a room just above where the action is, was wonderful. Check-in was easy and our room was fine, other than the bathroom is way too small and there is no fan. It steams up immediately when the shower is on, so getting ready while anyone sleeps is almost impossible if you have to keep the door shut. We used the mall shuttle to Tyson's. It was prompt, but the cloth seats were heavily soiled. Gross! The first night, the a/c wouldn't work. We called and a maintenance person came right away, and it was fixed quickly. The next day, during the convention, we tried to order sandwiches from the lounge restaurant, it took over 20 minutes standing in line to wait and get my food with only two people ahead of me. The service was not good! That night, we used the indoor pool. It was clean, and there was a very friendly lifeguard on duty. I tried to get a wake-up call when we returned to our room. I called the front desk numerous times over the course of an hour, and no one ever answered. I've never had that happen in any hotel I've ever stayed in! I finally had to set the alarm on my iPhone. The next morning I called down and tried ask a question about check-out. Again, no answer for over an hour. Unacceptable in my book! The wifi worked well, but they cut it off at check out, even though our convention went on until 4pm. No free lobby wifi. My overall impressions were: clean rooms, convenient (but dirty) mall shuttle, poor front desk service, extremely slow restaurant.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Mike C, General Manager at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear c2nlilmom,
We are overall delighted that you enjoyed your stay, however I apologize on behalf of the staff that you did not get that "special" feeling you were looking for! One of our core values here is to "Feel Special" and I would invite you back so we can do just that for you! I am also surprised about the Lobby Wifi as it is always there and free of charge but there must have been other issues that must have interrupted the connection to your computer. Also, please keep in mind that the Wifi is also free of charge in the guest rooms on the weekends as well. I agree with your assessment regarding the 20 minutes wait on the sandwich and that should have been much quicker and we have addressed the issue with the staff accordingly. We do hope that you give us another chance to visit with us again next year during this same dance convention.