“Housekeeping needs some work. Pool is FREEZING!”

Sheraton Tysons Hotel
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Tysons Corner
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We did a local "stay-cation" at this hotel last night. I want to love this hotel...as the remodeled rooms are lovely. But I couldn't get past a couple of things: First there was the mystery stain on the carpet just outside our room's bathroom...(had my mind shuddering to think what bodily fluids cased that stain). And when I tucked my son into bed...noticed small blood stains on the comforter that was between the 2 "seemingly" clean sheets. Makes me wonder... even though the sheets on top of the comforter seem to be clean...are the comforters themselves ever washed? Yuk. One of the main reasons we chose this hotel was the pool...as my little boys love to swim. But the pool and pool area were FREEZING! I don't know how the lifeguard was able to sit in that room with shorts and T-shirt...he could have benefitted from a coat and scarf! We were hoping the pool itself would be nice and warm...bit it was just lukewarm. My kids' lips turned blue after 10 minutes in the pool. So we thought we'd jump into the hot tub to warm up...and that was even COLDER than the pool. We heard the people above us walking around late into the night..like a heard of elephants...and were awakened by their TV blaring at 6am. And the light was way too dim in the bathroom to put on mascara. The one bright side was the great breakfast in the morning in the lobby restaurant (thought a bit overpriced). I had the best scrambled egg quesadilla ever! And all the personnel in the restaurant and front desk were very nice. This place was just ok. But I really wanted it to be fabulous. Sigh.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Elizabeth A
FrankKuhns, Director of Sales at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Hi elizamore,

Thank you for the feedback! Because of your feedback we were able to uncover a defect with our heating element in our spa and indoor pool. Because of you we are in the process of fixing the defect (please forgive our dust). We are also in the process of changing out the lens in the bathroom lighting to offer a brighter experience! I am very happy you liked the scrambled egg quesadilla; I had it this morning during a site visit with customers this morning!

If you reach out to me, I would like to invite you back as my guest to show you the improvements we have made.

Please call our hotel and ask to speak with me.

Frank Kuhns

Reviewed December 27, 2012

After driving for most of the day, arrived at the hotel late in the evening. Brittney checked me in. She was excellent and extremely helpful and polite. It was nice to have a smiling face and a pleasent person to deal with. Room was perfect, had no complaints except the hotel is charging for parking now. I have stayed in and around the Tyson's area and never have to pay for parking. I don't quite know why they think this is a "good" thing. Hoping they change their mind on the pay for park!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for the fantastic feedback! Please know we shared your story with our team and we look forward in welcoming you back the next time you are in Tysons Corner!!

Frank Kuhns

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Amicable staff but that is all the good I can write about this hotel. I had to ask several times to get anything done and most of the time it never did. Service was marginal at best. It is not convenietly located, meaning you have to have a car to go anywhere althought there are several good restaurants within walking distance.

1  Thank RAINPO
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I visited this hotel for business travel and it was large and newly renovated per the bellman. The room was bright and large with good heating/cooling. The bathroom lights are AWFUL. I assume they are green bulbs and even if you leave them on 20 mins, it's still dark. Water pressure was adequate (9th floor). The best are excellent! I never sleep on the road and I was out like a light. They were comparable to Westin's "heavenly beds". Don't change these, please!

The shuttle service was excellent! They will take you to nearby offices and you call in the evening to be returned to the hotel. If I was in the hotel longer, I would have taken advantage of their scheduled stops to nearby shopping.

My biggest complaint was with the housekeeping. My room contained 2 bottles of water and were not replenished. Also, dishes weren't picked up in the hallways which was a bit gross.

Room service was fast and very good. Steak first evening then burger was great. Bar food is ok and good for relaxing after work. Fish and chips were good and so were the drinks.

Overall it was a good experience but housekeeping updates are needed. Everything worked in my room (loved the HD TV to watch football). To combat the noise in the hallway or neighbors, I used my Iphone app for some white noise to not hear rude people.

Room Tip: I was in a "tower room" so had two huge windows overlooking the highway. Plenty of light a...
2  Thank Linda M
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I have good stuff and not so good stuff
First the good stuff. I stayed at this property from Nov.21-Nov.24(3 nights) The two ladies at the front desk that I delt with were absolutly first rate. Proffesional, courtious friendly, helpful, and any other wonderful adjective you can think of. They were Brittney and Aika. Aika was very helpful upon check in and even waived the $6.00 per day parking fee.(more on that in a moment) Housekeeping needs work. I asked for a small refridgerator (for my Insulin) when I got there and was told by Brittney that they would bring it right up. 1 hour later it was still not there(NOT her Fault) I finally called again and was told by someone else that Housekeeping was at lunch((230pm) and that it would be up soon.????? I had to leave and go to family so I took my insulin with me. It was there when I returned later. Also housekeeping did not empty the trash from previous guest (coffee cups and paper left in trash) and no trash bags in cans. I agree that the shower could use some more pressure but I was on the 15th fl. and that there could be some better lighting. but overall the rooms were OK. The gym/pool were very nice,but why was the pool only open 6am-10am and then later in the day I cant say anything about the bar/restaraunt since I did not use them but looking at the menu turned me off($15.00 for an omlette) Ill go down the street and eat for less than half that.
When I checked in I was informed that there would be a$6.00/day parking fee. for guests but is complimentary for people visiting for the day WHY???? I was told that they have locals who use it as a park and ride. Why not TOW any vechle without a parking pass. or designate an area for guests only with a gate and pass, or charge the visitors $10 dollars or even raise the hotel rate by $6.00 and not tell anyone. but when the stay has been prepaid it is not fun to arrive and find an additional charge. I only stayed for 3 nights but for someone staying longer that can add up. I was there over Turkey day weekend so it was crowded and once or twice was hard to find a space This is something that needs addressing and soon. As I said Aika was very pleasant and waived the charge.
All in all I would stay again and recommend it to others

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank ndf12400
FrankKuhns, Director of Sales at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Hi ndf12400,

Thank you for letting us know about your stay. We are delighted that you found Brittney and Aika to be so helpful! Thank you for your feedback about the refrigerator. We will use this as a teaching tool for future guests. As for the rooms, we strive to perform at a much higher level and appologize for the inconvenience of the trash cans. We will also work in the future to address the parking needs of our guests for busy weekends.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you in the future!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I spent 14 days in this hotel. First the rooms are OK. The bathrooms are very small and the lighting is really bad. The shower doesn't have much pressure but is adequate. The internet for signal and speed are very good. They provide two bottles of water for the first 2 days but after that forget it go buy your own. If you have a noisy neighbor you can hear it. The alarm clock is old so the snooze button does work but you have to press it really hard several time to get a few more minutes. If you want ice the ice machines may or may not work. I reported it 3 times and it worked for 2 days and has not worked since and not one has informed me why. The areas around the ice machine was used to place room service trays and were never picked up. On my floor the trays were adding up. I participated in their green program in which you receive an additional 500 reward points or $5 for using in the hotel for each day you have the card on your door before 2 am. Sometime you got the card and sometimes not. They are require to clean the room ever 3 day no matter what. You would be luck if it happens every 5 days. So participating in that program you have to be ready to not have a clean room. The food in the restaurant was expensive and not that good. Service was slow and food was cool by the time I got it. I do have to say they do have the best indoor pool and exercise room that I have seen in any hotel. We were there doing a conference and I have to tell you that I could not recommend it as a conference venue. The associates were very good once you got they attention but the directions for the staff serving lunch and breaks was hit or miss. We had to change room several times and again had to keep on the staff for the change and setup of the room. Once there they were very good. They play music in the conference areas and is so loud you could not have door open. Finally I found the dial to turn in down or off.

3  Thank skycop8158

Hi skycop8158,

We always appreciate someone taking the time to write a review of our hotel, thank you for submitting one. We apologize for the inconsistencies you found with the internet and the ice machines. As a hotel, we strive to provide the best service possible to our guests.

We are glad that you found the pool and the exercise room to be useful. We take pride inour amenities being best in class for our guests. As for directions from our associates, we will relay this information and work to make this process seamless for the future.

We thank you again for your review and we wish you all the best in your next journey.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed at this hotel on a recent trip to DC. Overall, a nice hotel with a great gym and pool for a hotel. You could actually swim laps in the indoor pool, which is a major bonus and the gym is larger than most hotels with several treadmills and a good stretch zone.

Rooms are nice and standard fare. My only issue is that I got in late (10.50pm) and found the restaurant bar, no longer serving food which was a major disappointment. It'd be great if they served food later in the evening. That said, the wait staff did end up getting me dinner and I was very pleased with the extra effort on their part. Would stay here again and recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Hey funinsun22,

We are thrilled that you found our hotel to your liking. This speaks to our exceptional staff and commitment to excellence for ours guests. The indoor pool and gym are some of our best amenities and we are glad you enjoyed these aspects of the hotel.

I'm glad that our team was able to accommodate you with dinner. Thank you for letting us know that they were helpful the evening of your arrival.

We are glad you enjoyed your experience and look forward to welcoming you back for your next stay.