“good hotel for conference”

Sheraton Tysons Hotel
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
San Diego, California
“good hotel for conference”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Nice hotel for conference, but isolated from urban activiites. It's conveniently located off the Dulles Access Road, but you cant access anything else by foot. Good view of Toyota dealer and construction on new elevated Metro in median of Leesburg Pike.

Hotel is round tower, so rooms have nice wedge shape. Elevators are very fast.

Public area very nice. Front desk staff friendly and competent.

Beds are soft. Room well appointed.Not sure why a hotel at this price point doesn't have fridge, but it doesn't. Also, light in bathroom exceptionally dull. How hard is it to illuminate the b'room?

Room Tip: I stayed on 11th floor. Might have been more interesting to stay on 20th with view away from Leesbur...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

I like to stay here when I can catch a good rate. It's not worth $269/night but sometimes you can get it for under $100. Most recent stay was cash-and-points as I am an SPG Platinum member. Was upgraded to a junior suite with an adjoining room for the kids. Very happy with the level of upgrade. Also had club access even though we were not on the club floor.

Stayed October 2012
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Standard room was very spacious & recently renovated. It was very clean & bed was super comfortable. The entire location is smoke-free. It is located very close to all Tysons Corner shopping. Only downside was extremely dim lights in bathroom and I do mean DIM! Bottom line, would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay there again ourselves. Rates were super low & quality was very high.

Room Tip: Ask for renovated room, away from elevator & on a high floor with a view
Malvern, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We had another dance competition at this hotel and booked a comer king room. The previous king room had poor lighting through out the room as they have installed very low wattage CFL light bulbs. I am sorry to say it made no difference. Lighting in the room remains very poor. Albeit, a few more windows did help, but still very inadequate. My wife had to sit next to the window and put on her makeup using her travel mirror.

If you like rock hard beds, this is the place for you, we do not, so sleeping was not very good.

We had to change rooms during the visit, because the AC in the room quit working.

We had a concierge room and the concierge lounge is spartan with not very good selection of food in the AM for the breakfast or any other time of the day. Not worth the extra charge.

The staff is hot and cold depending on who you get and what mood they are in. Generally not very friendly.

The bar and lounge is nice. The food at the event was very good.

This hotel caters to the flight crews coming in from Dulles, so customer service is not high on their list.

To get the best rates, you have to agree to a non refundable total charge, which is absurd when you realize the value you get is so poor. I wish the organizers of the bi-yearly dance competition would find another venue. Until then, us dancers are stuck, but I will never choose this hotel on my own accord.

Room Tip: There is no good choice
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DWL
FrankKuhns, Director of Sales at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Hi DWL,

We’re sorry to hear that your recent stay was somewhat disappointing.

We are in the process of converting the lighting so to make the rooms brighter. I am sure that was extremely frustrating and please let you wife know we are improving the lighting. We have shared your feedback with our engineering team so to make sure proper maintenance is preformed on the AC for your guest room.

We would love another opportunity to provide you with the kind of service that would not just meet your expectations, but would exceed them. We know you have other hotel choices when staying in the Tysons Corner, and we do appreciate both your business and your feedback. We’ll use the feedback as a learning tool to make improvements, and for that we are grateful to you.

Frank R. Kuhns
Director of Sales and Marketing
Hillsboro, Oregon
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were part of a seminar here and received fantastic service! Very classy place, great rooms and great restaurant....but most of all, really hospitable service staff....from the front desk to Maria Hernandez, the Catering Manager.... we were treated first class.

The rooms are classy, but not overstated....free parking...and my favorite feature: the best fitness gym I've seen in a hotel in years! Highly recommend staying here!

Room Tip: The 16th floor was great!
1 Thank Desperado13
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel was apparently reciently remodeled. They have done a wonderful job. the rooms are spacious and have all that you could ask for including large flat screen TV's and in room Starbucks Cofee. You cant beat the awesome Gym with all the amenities. After your workout hit the indoor pool and spa and relax your stress away. The resteurant is beautiful and the food is fantastic. I would definately reccomend this place to anyone looking for a relaxing stay.

1 Thank Johnahan W
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Spent 2 nights at this property. Overall, not impressed w/the housekeeping & quality control: dirtied hallways (w/crumbs & paper) outside the guest corridor, incomplete bathroom set up, permanent huge stains on the room desk. Made me wonder how often the bed blanket gets laundered & since there was no top sheet on top of the blanket .... did not feel comfortable using the blanket. And this was on the SPG Floor ... for their frequent guests.

The hotel is directly across from the construction zone for the Metro expansion ... thru 2014, I think. Construction goes late into the night and possibly all night. Not the hotel's fault, but you can hear the noise and it did wake me up.

OK, as my title suggests ... as of Aug 1, they charge for overnight parking. They also charge for wireless or wired internet connection in the rooms. However, there is a free wifi in the lobby & from what I observed, many folks were using it. When I asked the front desk around 8pm, if they could waive the wifi charge as an SPG guest, I was told she'd have to check w/her manager. I got an awakening phone call at 10:08pm that night to tell me it isn't possible, because my room was already at a discounted rate. They have a "GREEN PROGRAM" which I thought was meant to reduce laundering of towels, so I volunteered to participate. However, in fact, it really is a "COST SAVINGS PROGRAM", because there was absolutely no housekeeping services provided: no bed making, restocking of bathroom supplies, or in room coffee supplies (which were incomplete to begin with). In exchange for the GREEN PROGRAM, you can choose $5 credit in their coffee shop (i.e., approx one coffee) or 500 SPG points (& that is per stay, not per night, I was told). Upon check out, I learned that housekeeping was supposed to give me a voucher for participating ... but of course since they never entered my room ... it didn't happen.

I did talk to 3 staff members about all of this. All they had to say was 'sorry'. Sorry helps, but ...

So, if there is a manager response to this ... my reply is, "Sorry, but this is how I feel based on this experience." And boy, am I glad that I had a discounted rate. Imagine if I got all this and paid rack!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hello MDCory,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We sincerely appreciate when our customers take the time to share how we can improve. Please know that we have reviewed your feedback with the departments that can directly impact the areas of opportunities that you spoke about. We sincerely understand your feelings on the development going on around the hotel, and while yes, revitalization can be a challenge, when the metro opens in 2013 it will help connect Tysons Corner to the metro area. We have taken your feedback about our Make a Green Choice program and are working with our front desk team to make sure we explain the program so each guest understands how the program works. We are sorry the program did not meet your expiations and there were some errors on our part. We are using your feedback as a training tool with our team so this does not happen again.

Frank R. Kuhns