“No Hot Water”

GreenLeadersGold level
PA
“No Hot Water”
Reviewed January 15, 2007

We booked 2 nights through priceline, The location was great and the hotel was fine except, We didn't have any hot water. We didn't realize how bad it was until the first morning and to keep our plans we took cold showers. We then reported the problem and said we would be gone for the day. We we got back there were no messages but the water seemed fine. The next morning there was no hot water again. I called and reported the problem and ask them to get back to us with a resolution. after an hour I called back and they said they didn't want to disturb us.
We needed to get ready to leave so the manager said she would get us another room to shower in if that was OK. The hotel was not busy and I said there was an ajoining room, maybe we could use that. She said she would send a key up. They ended up sending us to the far end of the hall to use another room. There was very little hot water in that room but it was better. They did offer us free breakfast but at that point we had already eaten. I don't know if it was because we used priceline or not, but they didn't seem concerned with our comfort.

Stayed January 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Long Beach, California
Reviewed June 10, 2006

It's a nice Courtyard no doubt and if you are only styaing in McLean then go for it. I am a silver member and used my Marriot points for a visit to DC and was strongly encouraged to stay here and use the free shuttle to get to the Metro, BIG mistake. Beware of the "free shuttle" hype they REALLY push it. If you are not on any kind of a schedule and don't mind waiting it's fine, but It was frequently late and they also "forget" to dispatch it once to the Metro station despite 2 phone calls. They did this on my departure date almost causing me to miss my flight. Then when the driver did arrive after 2 phone calls and a 25 minute wait, he made me wait another 10 minutes to wait for another guest! I explained that I had already waited 25 minutes due to thier screw up and I was about to miss my flight but he didn't care. I explained that all week long I had waited 15 minutes each time for this shuttle so I couldn't understand why this guest couldn't wait especially considering that the hotel had screwed up but he didn't care. Turned out we were waiting for his buddy a fellow courtyard employee, that was the icing on the cake. Then I had to listen to them talk about thier girlfriend problems all the way back to the hotel, very unprofessional coming from hotel employees. Not only did they delay me, but then they delayed me further for an employee's convenience. I wrote a complaint letter and waited almost 2 months for a response, not 2 weeks as they tell you, at which point they promised me additional marriot points on my account which I have yet to see despite a reminder note. Here's a tip, if you have to stay here and see the Holiday Inn shuttle at the metro station grab it. It comes alot more frequently and is alot more dependable than the courtyard shuttle and the two hotels share the same property, it's about 1 city block from the courtyard. You may have to tip thier driver a little more but it's better than being left stranded.

• Stayed October 2005
2 Thank nytransp
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 22, 2006

First off - the room was very good - large, clean, and bright. The location is excellent as well. The staff was friendly and fast.

My complaint is the rate. Contrary to the average rate posted here – my rate was nearly three times that! I had a last minute trip so the rez was made the night before but still! Also – the restaurant/bar was closed during my visit for a private party. I had a need to buy some items at a grocery store and was told that the closest one was miles away and the shuttle would not take me that far.

This is all consistent with the Courtyard brand but for the prices being charged, even in the DC area - much better values can be found including full service higher end hotels.

Stayed April 2006
Illinois
Reviewed February 12, 2006

My wife and I stayed there for four nights. It's a bit tricky to get there the first time, especially at night. You need to drive through the back end of an office complex and down a driveway.

Once we got there, check in was a breeze. The underground parking came in handy, since we were there during the recent Nor' Easter snowstorm.

Our room was very comfortable. The pool area is nice. Note: the pool hours are from 5 PM -10 PM weekdays and 10-10 on weekends. The workout room is always available.

We ate breakfast in the restaurant most mornings. A typical Courtyard Buffet. Good service.

Overall, a nice stay in a great location. We'll definitely stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed February 2006
Lynnwood, Washington
Reviewed October 1, 2005

My husband and I stay at this hotel three or four times a year, for quick celebratory weekends away from home. The Spa King rooms are reasonably sized, with a two-person Jacuzzi in the bedroom area. We've always found the reception employees to be courteous and very efficient. We're mystified at how crowded the above-ground parking lot is, when there's a large underground garage solely for Courtyard guests (with elevator access to the main lobby).

Finding the hotel entrance can be a little tricky. The hotel is clearly visible from Rt 123 (Chain Bridge Road) - it's at the intersection with International Drive, across the street from the upscale Tysons Galleria. However, finding the entrance takes some work. You have to turn onto International Drive, left onto Greensboro and then left at the entrance for the Holiday Inn which is right next to the Courtyard. As far as I know, there's still no sign pointing you to the entrance of the Courtyard.

Food is a sticking point for this hotel. There's a decent steakhouse (Flemings), bar, and breakfast-only cafe. Room service is offered, however it is currently provided by the Holiday Inn next door. On our last stay we tried the room service, and it was dreadful - delivery was slow, the prices were a bit high, and the food ranged from mediocre (my husband's burger) to dreadful. They even delivered one wrong entree, unless a cold, gummy, flavorless turkey wrap is their interpretation of "crabcake sandwich." When I complained about this to a Courtyard manager, the entire room service charge was removed from our bill - so extra kudos to Courtyard for that. There are many excellent dining options in the Tysons area, but there is very little in-room information about restaurants and certainly none about the places I'd recommend. Do your dining research beforehand!

The pool and fitness center are both smallish but adequate. There's a small lobby shop with the usual assortment of snacks and toiletries.

The Courtyard Tysons Corner is hardly a resort destination, but it is a well-located, well-run hotel and we always look forward to return visits.

• Stayed February 2005
1 Thank perrik
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 26, 2005

I live about 100 miles from DC. My partner and I enjoy visiting a few times a year and when we do we DEFINETLY stay here. We've stayed @ this hotel many times now. The staff is friendly. The rooms are great. The breakfast is yummy. The location is superb. Five minutes to a metro stop and right across the street from an upscale mall with good restaurants. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed April 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed May 29, 2005

My wife and I stayed here recently to get away from our home for a weekend. It was a wonderful hotel with great service. With the Tyson Corner Mall and Galleria right next door, there are plenty of good places to eat as well. We chose the Cheese Cake factory and were not disappointed.

We only had two negative experiences with the hotel and both were rather simple. We stayed in a room with a King Bed and Spa. The pillows were very small and to say the least horrible to sleep on. We requested two extra for our second night and they were provided. Also, the maid accidently turned on the alarm clock, which went off at 7 a.m. on our second morning. As we were looking forward to sleeping in, we were not happy.

For these two reasons, I will not rate the hotel excellent. But it was still very worthwhile staying at and we had a great time.

• Stayed May 2005