“Nice, clean rooms and very good breakfast!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Tysons Corner
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
GreenLeadersBronze level
Concord, NC
“Nice, clean rooms and very good breakfast!”
Reviewed August 21, 2009

Our family just got back from a 5 day stay. This isn't a fancy hotel but it was adequate for our needs. It was nice having our own room and the girls having their own space. Room was very clean. We never went to the Manager's Reception. The breakfast was very nice...the omelets were excellent! It was nice that towels are provided at the pool so we didn't have to use our room towels. There's a lifeguard at the pool but I don't think he really paid that much attention to what was going on in the pool. The girls enjoyed swimming. The Dunn Loring Metro station was very close. We drove instead of relying on the shuttle. Just be sure to buy a SmartTrip card to pay for parking there as that's the only payment they accept. There were several very nice restaurants close by. I had heard that traffic is bad in that area. Although it was a bit heavy at times it was nothing I'm not used to so that wasn't an issue for us.

One problem I did notice was the kids that were allowed to run around unsupervised (not the hotels fault!). There were some nights I observed kids running around on our floor and going up and down the elevators. There was one night we went to bed early and the girls were having trouble sleeping because there was so much noise from other kids running past our room.

For the price and location I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Maryland
Reviewed August 10, 2009

We enjoyed our one night stay. The managers reception was crowded, but the veggies with dip and nachos with the best fresh salsa EVER was the reason why. My drink was great too. The kids loved the pool, the room, the reception and the breakfast. The living room tv in our room was wonderful. It was a large flat screen. Our tv in our bedroom was older but just fine. The back of the building made a loud fan type noise, but it was constant and didn't bother my sleep. We ate dinner at the Silver Diner by the Tyson Mall, and that was yummy. The maids smiled a lot and were sweet to my kids. I loved this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Chesapeake
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Two great room, clean and modern, two TVs, comfortable bed and sofa bed, what more could you ask for? The full breakfast was full, eggs made to order, bacon, fruit, Danish, muffins and more. I try to stay at the Embassy Suites whenever I travel. The Manager’s Reception is not bad just take an Excedrin before you go to bed because they do not use top shelf , but what to do expect it is free. The bartenders in the is particular Embassy treat you like you paid though…fast friendly service and ready to give you a drink when your glass is empty. Oh, don’t let the open balconies on the lower floors excite you; they look like they could be noisy. I stayed on the first and second floor and I could barely hear a thing when in bed.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
New Mexico
Reviewed August 3, 2009

This was a great hotel for 5 nights. Nightly reception was excellent, and the breakfast was very good as usual for Embassy Suites. We would drive to Dunn Loring Metro station, and ride into DC for the sites. Free parking was great. Workout room, and pool were very nice. Rooms were clean, and had lots of room for the 4 of us. Being a HHonors does get you free WiFi in your room (saves the $9.95 a day charge). Room rates could not be beat. Excellent overall stay at this fine hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Knoxville
Reviewed July 13, 2009

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Tysons Corner over the 4th of July weekend for a family vacation. We had a stay at least 3 nights 25% off rate on a 2 room king suite. Being a member of the HHonors club paid off because we also got free internet access which normally costs 9.95 a day.

The staff was cordial, providing printed out directions to the attractions we wanted to visit. Check-in was smooth and we had arrived just in time for the happy hour which consisted of free drinks and heavy, heavy hours d'oerves. The room was very spacious with an office/sitting area with a sofabed and flat screen tv and a separate bedroom w/ a king size bed and another tv. My daughter was thrilled to have her "own room.
The complimentary made to order breakfast the next morning and each morning was excellent. Made to order omlettes and other fare was plentiful..This was a huge money saver!
We used the shuttle to the metro and the ride there was great, the driver was taking extra, unscheduled trips to the station (Dunn Loring Station)and the trip took a matter of minutes. The return trip was not so convenient, however. When we returned, however we had to wait almost an hour for a pickup despite repeated calls to the hotel. The next day we drove to another, closer (West Falls Church) metro stop. I just like the luxury of going on my own time.

We didn't have time to experience the malls, but the property is very close to Tyson's Corner and The Galleria.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel because of the value and comfort and proximity to everything.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Tampa Bay, Florida
Reviewed June 21, 2009

I saw a couple of reviews for this hotel with not-so-good comments, but I had absolutely no problems. Staff was outstanding and helpful. When the shuttle to the Metro stop was full the assistant manager grabbed another van and drove us there personally. Room was as usual for Embassy Suites - very nice and comfortable. The breakfast was outstanding. And by staying for three nights we got a really good rate - less than we paid the next night for a far less quality room and hotel far from DC. I'm coming back to this one.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank FloridaTraveler047
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 5, 2009

I've stayed at this hotel maybe eight times in the last five years, and it's normally been a pleasant experience. Last time there were three things wrong with the room, two of which were corrected promptly, but I thought that it was just bad luck. Based on my experience this time I conclude that they are slipping.

First (and this is NOT the fault of the hotel), it's much more difficult to get into the hotel's parking lot because of a long-duration construction project (they tell me that there is a new Metro underground transportation line going in). Once I arrived, I was given a room key that didn't work. After I got a room key that worked, I determined that they had given me the wrong room type--something other than what I had reserved. (As a Hilton HHonors gold card customer I'm not used to getting an involuntary *downgrade* in room type.) They cheerfully switched to me to a room of the correct type, but gave me a key that didn't work once again. Another trip down to the lobby resulted in a key that didn't work a THIRD time. Finally, I got a key that worked on one try out of four or five times.

By the time I got settled into the room it was time for Happy Hour, which takes place in the atrium. I know that Embassy Hotels are almost always designed around a central atrium, but the atrium just seems so darned dark in this hotel, even in the middle of the day. Perhaps they have "de-lamped" excessively at this particular property. Mind you, the gloom doesn't keep me from appreciating my free wine, but it's just not a great place for hanging out in.

After Happy Hour I ate in the restaurant, as I have during several previous trips. Apparently the price of the menu item that I ordered had been increased but they have not yet reprinted their menus. I asked the server about the discrepancy between the bill and the menu and, after explaining that the price had gone up, he gave me the item for the old price. It's OK to raise the prices, but I don't think they should lead customers to believe menu items are one price when they're really being offered at a higher cost.

That said, the restaurant staff members do an outstanding job on breakfast. During this particular trip, the hotel was hosting 100+ junior high school students who all ate breakfast at the same time that I did. The fact that the staff kept the breakfast items coming smoothly under these circumstances was a commendable achievement.

Given the problems getting into the hotel and the little slip-ups that seem to be happening here, in the future I am planning to stay solely in the Hilton Tyson's Corner that is located two or three miles away.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business