“It's all about Expectations.”

Quality Inn Tysons Corner
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
Reviewed July 12, 2007

1 day conference at the Sheraton Premier which is nearby and did not want the company to pay the $279 per night freight. Therefore, looked
hard at nearby hotels and this one was walkable. read the reviews on this site and they were not exemplary so I went in w/ a great price and low expectations.

The good:
- 12 miles from Dulles and easy to find off the Dulles Access Road.
- Near many businesses in Tysons Corner at a great rate.
- Free breakfast and the waffles and orange juice were good.
- Free parking and plenty of it in a very crowded area.
- Small but clean pool.
- Easy check in and nice man at the desk answered my questions.
- Nice maids who listened to a couple of things I needed done and responded prior to me getting back from my business day.
- Hot water for showers.

The bad:
1. Small rooms. Need major update. It is a motel rather than a hotel.
2. Small bathroom and paint and walls were very bad.
3. TV service fairly bad. Black square kept appearing on my TV and remote rarely worked.
4. Noisy air conditioner and it never really got the room cool.
5. Sub-grade sheets and blankets.
6. Tour bus stop. Breakfast one day looked like a piranha feeding frenzy.
7. safe but unfriendly area. While they have a shuttle bus that runs to the metro, you really need a car to get around. Fuddruckers is the
only walkable restaurant in the hot weather and everyone I asked said
it was so so at best so I didn't eat there.

Summary: low expectations going in w/ a good price and it lived up to these low expectations w/ a bit of shining light.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Reviewed March 27, 2007

Outdated. Stinky. Overpriced. You'll do much better sleeping in you're car.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank moyockmover
Reviewed June 30, 2006

This hotel has tiny rooms; barely room for two people to move around in. We had a rollaway bed for our granddaughter, too, so we were climbing over the beds to get to the bathroom. It is clean and very pet friendly. There is a nice common landscaped area to let kids and dogs run in. The staff was great - answered all my questions. If you are staying here while visiting Washington, DC it is 10 minutes to the metro by hotel shuttle, then 30 minutes to Washington DC attractions. Complimentary breakfast was good - even had a make-your-own waffle option. Room had a refrigerator and microwave. Overall it was o.k. but a little expensive for the size of the room.

1  Thank Ladyjan
Reviewed June 30, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for 7 nights in June. Upon arrival, the very first thing I noticed was how unfriendly the Front Desk staff was. No one ever smiled or "welcomed" us. We dealt with the Front Desk staff quite a few times throughout the week, and this same thing happened no matter what shift (AM, PM, night audit). They were all very unfriendly people! (men and women) When we checked out, the female desk clerk never even said "thank you" or "how was your stay?" I thought this was terrible service. In addition, we found out later they have a Manager's Reception on Mon-Tues-Wed-Thurs afternoons from 5:30pm to 7:00pm (offering light refreshments and drinks) - but did anyone bother to tell us about this? NO! We found out by accident when we walked in to the Front Lobby area and came upon it by chance. Also, we noticed this hotel staff is all foreign - Iranian or India - maybe another reason why they were so unfriendly to us "Americans". In addition, someone else prior to my review wrote about the number of tour buses coming in/out. This was very true with our 7-night stay - the tour buses arrive at all hours and the parking lot was filled with them! This also disturbed us every night as people were walking the hallways at all hours, talking, carting luggage at 2:00am, etc. with no regard for sleeping guests at that hour! In addition, we never ONCE could enjoy the Continental Breakfast! Every morning when we went down, the place was absolutely packed with the tour buses eating before their morning departure. It was total insanity! They also took all the complimentary newspapers so we never got one of those either! This really annoyed us since we were staying there a week and this happened repeatedly, day after day after day. We ended up driving over to a nearby McDonald's to get a breakfast bagel. Never once could we even get near the continental breakfast due to all the tour buses filled with foreigners. About our room: we had a 2 double bed on the 3rd floor. The housekeeper was very nice, but she did not understand English at all. When I asked for toilet paper, she had no clue what I was talking about. I had to point to it on her cart. The beds were very nice and we slept well, but the bathroom was very worn and dirty. There was also a large tear in one of the bedspreads which I had to point out to the housekeeper. No extra pillows available at all. Two on a bed. We like extra pillows - could never get any from the Front Desk. Also, we had MAJOR trouble with our TV the entire week - and the Front Desk did nothing about it. We called and complained 3 times. They finally sent an engineer who - guess what? - could not speak English! He was of little help and did nothing. The remote control never did work. Many of the stations (CNN, Weather channel, etc) did not come in good. They did not work consistently. They would work ok for 5 minutes, then suddenly have lines across the screen and you couldn't see anything. This was soooo aggravating! We couldn't change rooms since the hotel was booked with "tour buses". I left a note for the General Mgr upon checkout and told him that TV needed to be replaced. I have never had such TV trouble in a hotel before. Also, this hotel is in a major business section surrounded by car dealerships. So much traffic!! There is a large mall nearby (Tyson's Corner) but it took us over an hour to drive back to the hotel in the traffic - and it would have been a 20 minute walk probably - but we were stuck in major traffic. I could never live there due to that daily traffic volume. We saw an Olive Garden (Italian restaurant) about a mile down the street, but no parking available at all! We wanted to eat there all week but no parking available whatsoever. We did eat several times for dinner at the Fuddrucker restaurant connected with the hotel. Their service was very lousy and slow, twice our orders were incorrect when we got the food, and the menu was very small and limited: just burgers and very basic stuff. The worst part was the staff: all foreigners once again that could not understand the English language (another reason I believe our orders were messed up). We found the restaurant and this hotel all run by foreign people - and this made our visit much more difficult. We would NOT recommend this hotel and would NOT stay here again. There are much nicer hotels in the area (Sheraton, Embassey Suites, Marriott, etc) Again, if you don't like traffic, then avoid this area at all costs. We mainly went on this trip to enjoy Washington DC and sightsee. We used the Metro (their subway system), but it was not close -- a good 10 miles away. Next time I would rather stay right in DC and shell out the extra $$ for convenience sake. It was not worth all this hassle staying outside the district. We normally like Comfort Inns but have certainly found them to NOT be consistent. They are all owned by different management companies and can be very different from one to the next. Some are very nice, some aren't. We definitely do NOT recommend this Comfort Inn.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank Hesser2010
A TripAdvisor Member
DeForest, WI
Reviewed April 1, 2006

Spent three days there while visiting prospective colleges with my son. Rooms are pretty tired but the rate was reasonable (for DC during Cherry blossom time). My real issue with the place was the constant noise at night. It is an old motel-all room doors open to the outside- and the walls are paper thin. We heard every flush and shower being taken by our neighbors above, below, and adjoining. The motel is in what appears to a be a relatively safe area but the room door seemed flimsy and certainly didn't keep out the noise either. On top of that, there was a constant stream of tour buses staying there. These buses carried people that thought nothing of standing outside our room at 2:00AM talking and laughing loudly. The buses started their diesel drones at 6:00AM every morning, idling for over an hour and half. The motel adjoins a Fudrucker that closes promptly at 9PM every night which would have been nice to know coming back hungry after a long day. The lack of sleep was not worth the cheaper rate.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 21, 2006

Was a bit worried when reviewing the previous comments but was pleasantly surprised with our stay here. This is not a 4 star hotel and shouldn't be compared to one but if you are looking for a good deal with an airport shuttle this is an option. The staff was excellent, the rooms dated but clean, included a fridge and microwave, usual complimentary breakfast( bagels, cereals, beverages) and there is a restaurant on site if you want more. The two weeks of free parking and the airport shuttle were why we chose this property. The shuttle does run on a set schedule but we were made aware of the times and with proper planning we had no trouble making our departure flight or catching the shuttle back to the hotel on our return. We saved over $200. by not having to pay for 16 days of parking at the airport. Other little perks...lots of restaurants in the area deliver, free Wi-Fi, books available in the lobby if you need reading material.

• Stayed: February 2006
3  Thank etch
A TripAdvisor Member
Crystal Lake, IL
Reviewed May 22, 2005

This is a pretty run down, small, and cramped hotel. The rooms are in need of serious updating as is the professional courtesy of the staff and management.

I booked the room through Orbitz and was given a reservation for a King size bed. When I called the hotel to confirm they said I booked a queen and wouldn't budge off that until I sent my reservation proving my claim. I had quite a fight to get what I paid for with their management.

The rooms are very small and in poor shape with plaster falling off the ceilings, curtains that don't hide your window (allowing people to look in) and poorly working appliances. Everything in the room was showing SIGNIFICANT wear and tear. There was a extra blanket provided that was so ratty I would feel bad if an animal had to use it for bedding.

The worst part was the attitude of the staff. I mentioned that it was quite a fight to get what I paid for as it also was in obtaining simple requests. On our second day we wanted to get a third pillow so we called the front desk. They said they'd send one over and it didn't show up all day. When we returned that night I called the desk to say that the pillow wasn't provided and asked if they could deliver one shortly. The attendant struggled for words before he hesitantly said they had just lost the key to the supply room and wouldn't have a back-up key until morning.

At that point I laughed as that's what you should expect from this hotel. If you're looking for a good deal and can put up with a poorly run hotel then choose this one. I made the mistake of not putting any research into the hotel as I made a quick pricing decision. I would advise anyone to pay the extra money and stay nearby at the Embassy Suites or another hotel. The Courtyard Marriott looked pretty nice too. Good luck staying here.

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled on business
Residence Inn Tysons Corner
Residence Inn Tysons Corner
#9 of 14 in Tysons Corner
DoubleTree by Hilton McLean Tysons

Been to Quality Inn Tysons Corner? Share your experiences!