“Not updated so it's dumpy”

Quality Inn Tysons Corner
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Tysons Corner
Reviewed July 1, 2009

For over $100 average per night, I expect more. The room smelled somewhat moldy, the furniture was old and the outdoor concrete stairways have rust stains where the air conditioners leak. Looks like it was clean, but just ain't well taken care of

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Oliveseeker

Reviewed June 7, 2009

The Comfort Inn was our home away from school for our annual 8th grade trip to DC this year, and I can't imagine a more welcoming and accommodating hotel for our kids or our staff. From organizing the keys according to busses to finding us extra rooms for our kids who came down with the flu, this hotel bent over backwards to make us feel at home. The rooms were clean and well-equipped, and the breakfast buffet while basic, met our needs nicely. I would highly recommend this hotel for school groups.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 12, 2009

Dated architecture. Had microwave and frig. Bed was comfortable. Very close to two major shopping malls. They have a shuttle service to the Metro Rail System.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 31, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for a week in March 2009. Upon arrival, I was greeted by front desk staff. They were very friendly and accommodating. I got a room with a king size bed on the 2nd floor. The room was very clean with a microwave, fridge and cable TV. Although the room is outdated, it was clean and acceptable.

It was all good until I tried to use the internet. They have wireless and wired connections, but none worked. The internet basically works about %5 of the time and it stops working. I am a computer network engineer and can confirm that the service did not work. When I went to the front desk to inquire about the problem, I was told by the manager to speak with the technical support person on site. The tech support person (who was the same guy who cuts the grass and cleans the garbage bins) told me that they are aware of the internet problems and they will have it fixed in the next few weeks or months to come. They told me to use the wireless at McDonalds across the street.
So no internet for the whole week which sucked as I could not do my work, not even an apology.

The breakfast is very basic with muffins (small ones), boiled eggs, toast and fruits. It was adequate though.

The location of the hotel is pretty good I thought. I was close to the business area where my work was and there are plenty of good restaurants around including a couple of big malls for shopping.

There is quite a bit of road construction taking place though which made driving around the hotel a pain but it was no fault of the hotel.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel as a good value hotel. I paid under $100 per night and if the internet was working, it would have been a great bargain. If you want something fancy you can stay at the hilton or sheraton for 2.5 times the price.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 26, 2008

Let me start by saying, I do not normally stay at Comfort Inns and perfer Westins, Sheratons, Marriotts and splurges at The Four Seasons and Penninsula hotels. I had to stay in Tyson's Corner for a quick overnight and didn't want to spend too much to lay my head for 8 hours. I got the room for $99.00 (tax included) AAA rate. I was concerned after reading the reviews here. What a pleasant surprise I had. The room was clean, there was a small refrigerator, coffee pot and microwave in the room and also iron and ironing board. I passed by the pool and the pool was clean. The breakfast buffett in the morning was very good and no long lines like I read. For the money, I think this is a great hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank katyhotr
Reviewed August 21, 2008

It was early January and a quick family sightseeing trip to D.C. at the end of the holidays. We had stay at this Comfort Inn before and it was seemed OK; so decided to book with them again. Boy, what a mistake!
Our family used the Inn's courtesy shuttle van in the morning to the Metro Rail Station; the driver and transport was highly satisfactory. The front desk had instructed us to call in the evening it insure pick-up at the station. I called for the return courtesy van and was assured the van would pick us up. As we came up from the station, the van had just left and was entering traffic. I called the hotel and spoke with the front desk manager; he would not turn the van back and now Comfort Inn had just left us stranded and freezing in high North winds in 20 degree temperatures. It would be another hour before he could get transportation to us. We waited and waited. The cold became unbearable; I was forced to make other inconvenient transport arrangements for our unfortunate return to the Inn for our last night stay.
At check-out the next morning, The Statisfaction Guarantee and compliant review I requested was not honored by the desk clerk, the front desk manager or the hotel owner.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MrandMrs_Colors
Reviewed March 31, 2008

The very first night that we arrived, we were assigned a room that had a lock-out door. Unfortunate for us, there was a group of young people (probably late teens/early twenties) that were noisy all through the night and the foot traffic coming and going was unbelievable. Did not get any quality sleep that night.

Inquired if these guests next door to use were going to be there the next night, Front Counter advised that there were other complaints about the noise from them as well. They moved us to another room since they were staying one more night.

Be forewarned that it seems that this hotel caters to tour groups. The first morning, we went down for breakfast to find it completely packed with the tour groups gathering their breakfast before leaving. There were two buses and for the 3 days so far, there has been a big morning rush. So be forewarned if you are there for breakfast when they open up.

Rooms are clean, however furniture is old. One nice touch is that the rooms have a refrigerator and microwave oven. One bad thing is that the lever in the bathtub that you pull to divert water to the showerhead is broken, so minor things seem not to be tended to.

Since we had to stay in the area for 5 nights, we made a slight sacrifice as we are saving a ton of money, however, this is not the Ritz Carlton.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)