“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
Reading, Pennsylvania
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed August 26, 2008

Let me start by saying, I do not normally stay at Comfort Inns and perfer Westins, Sheratons, Marriotts and splurges at The Four Seasons and Penninsula hotels. I had to stay in Tyson's Corner for a quick overnight and didn't want to spend too much to lay my head for 8 hours. I got the room for $99.00 (tax included) AAA rate. I was concerned after reading the reviews here. What a pleasant surprise I had. The room was clean, there was a small refrigerator, coffee pot and microwave in the room and also iron and ironing board. I passed by the pool and the pool was clean. The breakfast buffett in the morning was very good and no long lines like I read. For the money, I think this is a great hotel.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank katyhotr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Smithfield, Virginia
Reviewed August 21, 2008

It was early January and a quick family sightseeing trip to D.C. at the end of the holidays. We had stay at this Comfort Inn before and it was seemed OK; so decided to book with them again. Boy, what a mistake!
Our family used the Inn's courtesy shuttle van in the morning to the Metro Rail Station; the driver and transport was highly satisfactory. The front desk had instructed us to call in the evening it insure pick-up at the station. I called for the return courtesy van and was assured the van would pick us up. As we came up from the station, the van had just left and was entering traffic. I called the hotel and spoke with the front desk manager; he would not turn the van back and now Comfort Inn had just left us stranded and freezing in high North winds in 20 degree temperatures. It would be another hour before he could get transportation to us. We waited and waited. The cold became unbearable; I was forced to make other inconvenient transport arrangements for our unfortunate return to the Inn for our last night stay.
At check-out the next morning, The Statisfaction Guarantee and compliant review I requested was not honored by the desk clerk, the front desk manager or the hotel owner.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — Front Desk Management and Shuttle Van
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank MrandMrs_Colors
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed March 31, 2008

The very first night that we arrived, we were assigned a room that had a lock-out door. Unfortunate for us, there was a group of young people (probably late teens/early twenties) that were noisy all through the night and the foot traffic coming and going was unbelievable. Did not get any quality sleep that night.

Inquired if these guests next door to use were going to be there the next night, Front Counter advised that there were other complaints about the noise from them as well. They moved us to another room since they were staying one more night.

Be forewarned that it seems that this hotel caters to tour groups. The first morning, we went down for breakfast to find it completely packed with the tour groups gathering their breakfast before leaving. There were two buses and for the 3 days so far, there has been a big morning rush. So be forewarned if you are there for breakfast when they open up.

Rooms are clean, however furniture is old. One nice touch is that the rooms have a refrigerator and microwave oven. One bad thing is that the lever in the bathtub that you pull to divert water to the showerhead is broken, so minor things seem not to be tended to.

Since we had to stay in the area for 5 nights, we made a slight sacrifice as we are saving a ton of money, however, this is not the Ritz Carlton.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
DC
Reviewed November 8, 2007

I got a good price by calling the hotel directly, but the overall stay was very average. The hotel is very close to Tysons Corner, but the exact location isn't nice. There's a Fuddruckers practically on the hotel grounds, which doesn't exactly increase the classiness of the CI. When we checked in, they said we had reserved 2 doubles instead of the 1 queen I was told when I mad ehte reservation. The person checking us in argued with me and said we were out of luck because all the rooms were booked, but since we weren't willing to give in that quickly, she miraculously found a room with a queen after looking for 2 seconds. So, that wasn't a very pleasant experience. Then the room itself was average. There was a hair on our bed but the rest of the place appeared to be clean. Basically, just expect a motel rather than a hotel. The few upsides are free parking, free shuttle within a few miles (although I can't attest to this since I never used this service), and the breakfast was better than expected. They had yogurts, coffee cake, bagels, english muffins, and even waffle makers!

• Liked — proximity to Tysons Corner
  • Disliked — front desk
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed October 26, 2007

I've stayed in this hotel twice now. First time I was there w/ my boyfriend who was staying there for business (they paid). It was a nice basic room with a fridge and microwave. Shuttle service to the metro station and the airport (Dulles). Second time I stayed was almost a year later and I was paying for it myself. Room was not as nice. Had to change rooms once as the toilet wasn't functioning (it wasn't as simple as a chain being off. The water was off somehow). No fridge, nothing. For less than I paid I could have stayed at a Marriott or Hilton. Doubt I'll go back, unless with my boyfriend on a business trip.

Stayed May 2006
california
Reviewed July 24, 2007

This hotel is a great value. When we reached there in the night the location seemed bit scary, but turned out to be a very convenient location.

The rooms are OK, nothing spectacular. They have in room microwave and mini-fridge. The breakfast buffet was fabulous. It had bolied eggs, muffins, make-your-own wafl, juice, milk, coffee, breads, coffee cake, cereals and more.

The shuttle service to IAD and nearest metro station runs every 20 minutes. The staff was professional and helpful. When we had some issue with our first room, they immediately switched us into another room.

There is a nice shopping mall nearby which you can reach via shuttle, an indian restaurant is in walking distance.

The price I paid was way less than the value it offered.
I will recommend this hotel to friends.

• Liked — price and breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Mystic, CT
Reviewed July 12, 2007

1 day conference at the Sheraton Premier which is nearby and did not want the company to pay the $279 per night freight. Therefore, looked
hard at nearby hotels and this one was walkable. read the reviews on this site and they were not exemplary so I went in w/ a great price and low expectations.

The good:
- 12 miles from Dulles and easy to find off the Dulles Access Road.
- Near many businesses in Tysons Corner at a great rate.
- Free breakfast and the waffles and orange juice were good.
- Free parking and plenty of it in a very crowded area.
- Small but clean pool.
- Easy check in and nice man at the desk answered my questions.
- Nice maids who listened to a couple of things I needed done and responded prior to me getting back from my business day.
- Hot water for showers.

The bad:
1. Small rooms. Need major update. It is a motel rather than a hotel.
2. Small bathroom and paint and walls were very bad.
3. TV service fairly bad. Black square kept appearing on my TV and remote rarely worked.
4. Noisy air conditioner and it never really got the room cool.
5. Sub-grade sheets and blankets.
6. Tour bus stop. Breakfast one day looked like a piranha feeding frenzy.
7. safe but unfriendly area. While they have a shuttle bus that runs to the metro, you really need a car to get around. Fuddruckers is the
only walkable restaurant in the hot weather and everyone I asked said
it was so so at best so I didn't eat there.

Summary: low expectations going in w/ a good price and it lived up to these low expectations w/ a bit of shining light.

• Liked — Hot shower
  • Disliked — just about everything else
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
Vienna Wolf Trap Hotel
Residence Inn Tysons Corner Mall
Residence Inn Tysons Corner Mall
#10 of 14 in Tysons Corner

Been to Quality Inn Tysons Corner? Share your experiences!