“The locals' Thai restaurant”
Review of Thai Pilin

Thai Pilin
Ranked #68 of 97 Restaurants in Tysons Corner
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We were visiting my parents and they suggested that we eat here because it was their favorite Thai place. We had the chicken satay and dumplings for appetizers. For the main course, we split the Pad Thai, the Shrimp Pad Thai and the crispy basil chicken. We all enjoyed the food, it was very good and they spiced it to our perfect.

We did this as take out so we can't comment on the service but they got our order right so very good, over all.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is another place I’ve patronized regularly for close to two decades. And for good reason. Thai Pilin on Rte 7 in Tyson’s Corner, crammed into a large strip mall, serves up some of the best Thai cuisine I’ve had outside of Bangkok.

Atmosphere is minimalist. Walk in, wait in line (and some days at lunchtime, the line stretches out the door), place your order, find a table (which can at times be challenging), then wait for the waiter to bring you your food. I’ve only ever seen one waiter (doesn’t he EVER get a vacation?), and he flawlessly delivers appetizers, then main courses, to the right people at the right table. Amazing.

The food here is authentic, plentiful and inexpensive. They do a great job on the Thai noodle classics such as Pad Thai and Pad See Ew. The full range of curries get excellent treatment here as well. I occasionally branch out to one of their stir-fries, such as the Three-Flavored Chicken, but keep going back to a noodle dish and an appetizer of Thai steamed dumplings, delectably topped with cilantro and minced crispy fried garlic.

I’d say 95% of my experience here is at lunch time, given that I used to work across Rte 7 from the restaurant. My few dinner experiences revealed somewhat larger portions, higher prices, softer lighting and a mellower mood overall.

But regardless of when you go, you’re sure to enjoy it.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Consistently good Thai food at a reasonable price. My wife loves their Pad Thai (spiced just right) and I've yet to be disappointed when I sample various items on the menu. Not much for atmosphere. It's in a strip mall with about ten tables. While I hear it's usually full with the business crowd during the week, we had no problems with a quick lunch while shopping.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We ordered take out and were very disappointed with the portion sizes. I ordered chicken cashew and received very little chicken and a very large portion of rice. I am not a huge eater either. The overall quality of the food was average at best.

1  Thank MBinVA_10
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I've been coming here for years and they still make the great dishes. The uninspired decor and strip-mall setting may keep some from trying it but it is really worth it when you do.