“Huge portions of authentic Persian cuisine, with excellent service and customer relations”
Review of Shamshiry

Shamshiry
Ranked #13 of 97 Restaurants in Tysons Corner
Cuisines: Persian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I netsurfed to find a place close to Wolf Trap, where friends and I were going for a Brandi Carlile concert, and stumbled upon this place. I have a Persian friend and was interested in trying out the cuisine, so after perusing the restaurant's website and the menu I chose this place for dinner before the concert. They only take reservations for large parties, but even on a concert night the place was only pleasantly full. Before going, I checked out the reviews here, and after reading them my only concern was that the service and staff's attitude might be less than ideal. As it turns out, we had nothing to worry about.

The food is, quite simply, out of this world, not in a gourmet sense but in the sense of excellent authentic ethnic food. In other words, not always to my taste as an American, but unbeatable for what it was, and worth repeating. I had the combination kebab dish, which included both marinated filet mignon and ground beef. The servings are huge! As in 3/4 pound to one pound of meat, precooked weight. Kebobs always come with an even larger serving of rice with saffron, which is served also with a large helping of the browned crust of rice from the bottom of the pan, which Iranians apparently consider to be on the same order we would consider crispy poultry skin or a nicely browned outside slice of a roast. So much so that this place goes out of its way to prepare large quantities of the stuff so they don't have to skimp on it. The traditional way to eat the rice is to scoop a "bowl" into the very hot center of the rice and pour one or more egg yolks and several tablespoons of butter into it, then stir the whole mess around to allow the hot rice to cook the egg and melt the butter. Then, one liberally sprinkles sumac powder over it and digs in! (Sumac, made from the reddish heads of sumac trees, is a very popular table seasoning in Persian cuisine and has a somewhat citrusy flavor and acidity to it. Everything else we ordered at out table was similarly excellent.

The service at our table was also very responsive and excellent. Because most Americans are squeemish about eating raw egg products, it is necessary to ask for the egg yolk(s) to mix with your rice, but when I asked about it and then ordered it it was brought within a minute or two. Toward the end of our meal we were visited by a young man named Ali who, it turned out, is the owner's son. Ali advised us that if we enjoyed the meal we might want to try the restaurant's saffron ice cream. We all declined because we were literally stuffed, but Ali insisted on providing each of us a small complimentary scoop, which in each instance turned out to be a very large scoop of very rich, eggy, safron-infused ice cream, free of charge. A very nice touch! Perhaps some of the negative comments I read are directed at a different generation of managers; if so, I hope Ali is able to prevail upon management to adopt his approach to customer service. Our experience could not have been more positive!

Reviewed June 22, 2013

heard about it and had to go. The wait was about 15 minutes. Atmosphere a little cold but when the food arrived, it made it feel a lot warmer. Rice portions are exaggerated with a good portions of meat or chicken. Had the kubideh and it was great.
It's one of those places that you go for the food and not necessarily for the ambiance.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

This a neighborhood restaurant that is frequented by the local Iranian community because it is family friendly, no frills, reasonably priced, huge portions of excellent food. I had the salmon kabobs with fava bean rice - it was succulent and flavorful and was enough for two meals.
My companion had chicken kabobs with white rice, which was juicy and delicious.
Definitely a repeat performance!

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I have been going to Shamshiry for kabobs for over ten years. When my co-workers want to go out for lunch, I always suggest Shamshiry. I have eaten kabobs at other area restaurants such as Moby Dick's (dry and bland) and the Food Corner Kabob House (bread is good, kabobs are so-so) and prefer Shamshiry. The kabobs, staff and service are consistently excellent. Every time I go there I always think about trying something else on the menu, however, I always order either chicken kabobs, tandoori chicken kabobs or the combination chicken and beef kabobs. The kabobs are served with a huge portion of rice; you can always ask for half the regular rice serving and more grilled tomatoes. During the week for lunch you should get there before noon so you can beat the crowds.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

The kababs are the only thing I've had. The food is not spectacular but is very good. And consistent. The staff are polite but I suspect their english is marginal as they say very little. Definitely worth a visit.