“What's with the loud singing?!”

Da Domenico Ristorante Italiano
Reserve with OpenTable
Da Domenico Ristorante Italiano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 96 Restaurants in Tysons Corner
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Chain Bridge Road & Leesburg Pike
Transit: Future Tysons Metro Station
Description: Da Domenico is owned and operated by Syed, who was with the Ramella family, the original owners of Da Domenico, for 10 years. The Ramella family served the finest Italian cuisine in the Washington, D.C. area for more than 40 years. They came to America from Imperia, in northern Italy, and in 1980 settled in Tysons Corner at our current location.
McLean, Virginia
“What's with the loud singing?!”
Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went here on a whim. The food was good but then this guy came into the room and began singing at the top of his lungs. He went from table to table, singing as loud as he could. It was extremely annoying and literally hurt my ears. I couldn't wait to get out of there.

1 Thank BarryJC758

Herndon, VA
“Very solid but no longer worth a "special" trip”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I went to Da Domenico regularly in the late 1980's early 1990's when I worked in the area. It was a definitive "take the client to lunch or dinner" restaurant. The menu was Italian staple dishes (veal, lasagna, etc.) and the veal chop - then and now - was always highlighted.

One of the highlights had nothing to do with food. Even at lunch time one of the owners would sing something in Italian in an operatic style. It was great fun and what made DD a "special" destination.

So after all those years, I went back for a dinner with friends to celebrate an occasion. We split a calamari, each got a salad of some sort (caprese, avocado / procsciutto / asparagus), and for entrees a scampi, salmon, and two orders of the fish special of the day - branzino.

Food was good - though branzino was a little salty (too much capers?). Portions were not oversized (a plus in my book) and the service was attentive.

The problem is "good" has a lot of competition these days. DD neither is neither "outstanding" in the menu or service side.

Case in point, aside from the veal chop there are no signature dishes (and I mean really, you can't mess up a good piece of meat). And the service was attentive but when two of my party arrived late, the waiter never brought 2 more menus and never asked if I wanted to see the wine list (turns out I did not order a bottle but isn't offering the wine list just a standard thing to do?)

The final kicker is without the charm of the owner singing opera, this very good restaurant just has too much competition doing what it does to be worth a "special trip" anymore. I can just go down the street in my town of Herndon to Zeffirellis, or even Dolce Vita in Fairfax, which offers grilled calamari as an alternative to battered / fried.

• Visited June 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“High quality Italian in Northern Virginia”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Da Domenico is one of the better Italian restaurants in the DC area. Having worked/lived in Philadelphia for a while, I really miss the quality of even average Italian restaurants in Philly. Da Dom is one for which I would travel well out of my way to eat.

• Visited February 2014
Vienna, Virginia
“Great Brunch, Great Service”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We went there last night night and had an incredible dinner. The veal chop is exactly what they say it is. THE BEST. We split an order of their wide pasta and veal ragu. It was excellent. My friend ordered one of the specials which was a pork Porterhouse. Incredible as well and he wouldn't stop talking about it. I tasted my wife's Chilean Sea Bass and almost traded with her. Almost.
Our waiter (who was just outstanding!) told us they are now open for Sunday Brunch so we came back this morning. I had a marinated bistro steak and eggs with fried potatoes and ciabatta toast and that was incredible also. My wife ordered the vanilla Marsala French toast with maple whip cream. Wow!! Amazing! I had a glass of their red sangria and my wife had the white sangria. Fantastic and full of fruit. I love this restaurant even though its off the beaten path. We're coming back for dinner and brunch next weekend. Excellent food, excellent service. 5 stars from this Foodie!

• Visited April 2014
Arlington, Virginia
“So Average Easter Brunch”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We were really disappointed with a recent Easter Brunch. No brunch items, just the standard menu items. Service was really good (it was not crowded) but the restaurant is very dated and "tired" looking.

• Visited April 2014