“My Daughter's Favorite Place! Children Love The Moving Part!”
Review of Wasabi

Wasabi
Ranked #42 of 96 Restaurants in Tysons Corner
Cuisines: Japanese
Description: Telephone 703 388 0646
Description: Telephone 703 388 0646
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is by far my young daughter's absolute most favorite restaurant! In fact, we will soon be celebrating her birthday here! She loves the concept of it, being able to take the dishes of food off the moving table that constantly makes its way around the restaurant!In fact, clearly young girls (in the 7-12 year-old age range) are probably this restaurant's biggest fans, judging from the clientele we always see here. It's as much a mother/girl restaurant as the American Girl cafe. Amazingly, my daughter also loves the food! (she knows she needs to if she wants her mother to keep taking her back here!). She always get the children's teriyaki dish, which comes with rice and sweetened strawberries, in addition to helping me with various dishes that go around. I must admit that I love the food here too! The volcano sushi and California rolls are great, but most things have been wonderful. The staff here are very friendly and helpful too which is nice! I also find the prices to be very reasonable (the dishes are color-coded to a certain price level, with them all being around $4-$7). Depending on when you go, there can be a long wait (especially for a booth), so you may want to plan accordingly. If you are looking for a fun place to go to (and don't mind that hundreds of passerbys may witness you eating, as it's right in the middle of the mall), then you should definitely try this place out! It's a fun experience, that you and your children will enjoy!

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Not an easy off from 95 but we did it anyway and it was worth it. We had never been to a place like this. It was very busy and the sushi was very fresh and tasty. We liked seeing the variety and having the ability to see before ordering. Wait staff was accomodating and friendly.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

It's been a few years since I last ate at a conveyor-belt sushi place. These restaurants, where your menu choices pass by on a conveyor belt, and prices are indicated by the color of the plate, are a common sight in Hawaii and in Japan, but are rare on the east coast. I stopped for a quick lunch after a visit to the Microsoft store at Tyson's Corner Mall.

One of the nice things about this type of restaurant is the speed with which you are presented with choices - they pass by continuously. All you have to do is select a plate as it passes by. In the case of Wasabi, the sushi is well made and fresh. Some items are non-traditional, and there are non-sushi choices as well. In addition, if you want something but don't see it, the staff is quick to produce it for you.

So how does it compare with other sushi places? Well, we're not in Tokyo, so the sushi isn't the best I've ever had, but it's still quite good. And perhaps more important, it's fresher than what I've had at similar places where the staff didn't attend to the food and replace it when it dried out.

One reason this probably didn't happen at Wasabi is that the staff prepared fewer plates during the off-hour when I ate. This led to fewer choices on the belt, but those choices were fresh, and when I wanted a cucumber roll, it was produced instantly.

Overall, the real plus for this place is that the food is good, and you can get in and out very quickly. It's a perfect place for a fast lunch without it being fast food.

1  Thank Wayne R
Reviewed February 8, 2013

What a terrific discovery-sushi comes around on a conveyor belt. Very beautifully done rolls and nigiri, friendly and skillful waitstaff, very clean and comfortable. I love it!

Reviewed January 22, 2013

We completely enjoyed the unique food delivery, and the sushi was so very tasty, and the waitstaff were friendly and engaging.