Destinia.com
Hotels.com
Travelocity
All reviews whole foods resident parking fully furnished apartment mid march full kitchen thoroughly enjoyed our stay the check in process floor to ceiling windows excellent stay condo bedroom laundry sheets tyson metro sleep
Selected filters
Reviewed March 30, 2020 via mobile

This is our first time booking WhyHotel. We arrived mid-March expecting a 2-week stay. For the price, the amenities, space and location have exceeded our expectations. Now forced by the pandemic to shelter in place for at least a month, the staff and management have gone above and beyond. They are responsive, attentive and committed to CDC protocols. Most of all, we are comfortable and feel as safe as is possible, given the known and unknown risks. We applaud the young people - administrative staff and housekeeping team - who continue to provide service during this traumatic time.

Date of stay: March 2020
Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank criticalinva
Trent P, General Manager at WhyHotel Tysons Corner Greensboro Dr, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2020

Hi criticalinva,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff. We are very glad to know you were pleased with your overall stay. We look forward to hosting your stay once again and continuing to meet your expectations. Please feel free to contact me directly and it will be my pleasure to assist you if you have any questions or concerns.

Reviewed March 18, 2020

Like others have written, this place is a fully furnished apartment condo masquerading as a comparatively cheap hotel. I've had acquaintances book nights here instead of the Marriott nearby for business trips since it was both cheaper and larger.

Pros:
Kitchens are fully stocked with pots, pans, utensils, cups, bowls, plates, and knives - basically anything you'd expect in your own kitchen. There are even measuring spoons/cups! The hotel also provides one load of free detergent/dryer softener sheets for the in-unit laundry. TV is attached to a Google Chromecast so it was easy for us to stream Netflix, Twitch, or YouTube. We stayed in a 1BR/1BA, but the sofa is a pull out bed.

The gym for residents is on the 27th floor and is pretty comprehensive for an apartment/condo building. Everything seemed sparkling new.

Ground floor has restaurants, spas, and probably the nicest Whole Foods I've ever seen. The Whole Foods has cheap beer offerings at their bar, and restaurants/bakeries/coffee shops decorating the entrance.

Cons:
Not an issue for me and mentioned in other reviews, but the blinds filter out about 5% of the light coming in from the floor to ceiling windows. I didn't need to ask the front desk for an eye mask as I use one on a daily basis anyway, but it is an option. We had some issues locking the door behind us even after asking (briefly) for help, but that may have been our faults.

Other things of interest:
I live in the area but wanted a close getaway for a weekend. This place is a 5-10 min walk from the Greensboro metro, which is on the silver line and goes into Arlington/DC. There is also an Enterprise car rental store about a five min walk away too.

Date of stay: March 2020
Trip type: Traveled with friends

Hi 833alicej,

Reviewed January 15, 2020

Imagine a world where there is a new building with a large inventory of unsold condo units and a company like WhyHotel that helps them out by running those rooms like available hotel rooms. You also want to save a couple of bucks and get a room that is more like a suite or condo. Win, Win, Win for all three parties.

I have two things to look out for with this particular property: 1) If you are in any way light sensitive ask if the shades in the room you are reserving have true blackout shades or not. You can see even from their sample photos that the default privacy shades really don't cut that much light out (they are designed to be able to still see through). I was on the 23rd floor and could actually read a book in bed with the lights out and shades pulled shut due to the light pollution from the surrounding neighborhood. They say they'll be changing this in the future as they install true blackout shades. 2) If you want a two bedroom unit, clarify if it is a true two bedroom situation or not. They also have one bedroom units where they have converted the den to a "bedroom" by putting a sliding barn door in front of the opening (which provides little privacy with the gaps around the door and no way to lock it).

When we pointed out these issues they were quick to respond and resolve (providing free eye masks as they schedule blackout blinds to be ordered and installed).

Room tip: Ask if room comes with real blackout shades vs simple privacy shades
Date of stay: January 2020
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Marc E, General Manager at WhyHotel Tysons Corner Greensboro Dr, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2020

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience with the shades. Unfortunately, we aren't able to control or replace the items that have been installed in the unit and we've taken steps necessary to make those extremely sensitive to light as comfortable as possible by offering complimentary sleeping masks. Upon your return, please feel free to ask for them upon check-in and we'll be happy to hook you up.

For a true bedroom, a guest would have to book a 2bd/2ba or a 3bd/2ba. Our 2bd/1ba units convert a den to a room and share a restroom for the two rooms.

Reviewed December 30, 2019 via mobile

Great location, great concept. Will definitely be back. Who wouldn’t like condo living for hotel prices. Within a block of the metro and right above Whole Foods. Great stay, highly recommend. Tyson’s Corner is a great location to base your DC vacation.

Date of stay: December 2019
1  Thank BZig813

Hi BZig813,

Reviewed December 27, 2019

We stay there for 3 days and 2 nights. At the first sight, everything was good and exceed my expectations. Fast check in and the suite is clean and modern. But nightmare start on the first night already.
1st night
We have travelled for more than 25 hours to us. And we were very tired already. So we have something and then immediate take a bath and sleep. Around 4:50am , the smoke sensor start “ding ding low batteries “ it was really annoying and I tried to ignore it but really cannot. It continues ding ding.......it woke up all my family and my husband try to take out the batteries inside. But it still no use. It is attached with some wire and so my husband the whole thing down. We try to search for new batteries. But it didn’t provide.
2nd night
Even worst this time. I am the last one take shows. The water pressure is bad and the list terrible things is that there’s no hot water.outside is 6 degree and no hot water. The water is not freeze but really cold. I asked husband to check the other bathroom. Same situation. It’s really chill me out. I take a extremely quick bath and I need to use the hairdryer to warm me back.
I dunno if they will turn off the heater at night? Cause when I took the bath on the 2nd day is already 1130pm. Or their heater is not function properly.
I think the need to check everything is ok before you pass the key to you guest.
Besides the above 2 incidents, the hotel really nice looking, spacious and clean.If you want to booked this hotel, hope you are lucky enough to get a good room.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Angrycustomer19
Marc E, General Manager at WhyHotel Tysons Corner Greensboro Dr, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2020

Thank you kindly for taking the time to inform us of the situations you encountered while staying at our property. I can't imagine anyone being happy listening to the fire alarm battery and I'm certain not too many people would be overjoyed with a cold shower when they were expecting heat. If you should decide to stay with us again, I'd like to let you know that our team is incredibly responsive and will rectify any issues you encounter immediately. Had these situations been brought to our attention we surely would have upgraded you to a larger room for the inconvenience and corrected the water temperature and smoke alarm issues you mentioned. During your next stay, I'm happy to offer you a complimentary upgrade as a token of apology for your experience.